HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I am slowly putting mine together and the pitch speed works out to only 51 mph with 12x6 prop. Perhaps chop is asking "would it stay together if it flew 150" or "can it be set up to fly 150"? I think he's asking both. In stock config I doubt it will ever go over 70 mph. I'm a terrible judge of airspeed though.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
Oh, I'm learning, it's F3D that averages 150 mph and can peak over 200 mph. Maybe I have helped save someone from pitching it up for 150 mph, including me.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...ylonracing.htm
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Oh, I'm learning, it's F3D that averages 150 mph and can peak over 200 mph. Maybe I have helped save someone from pitching it up for 150 mph, including me.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...ylonracing.htm
The Link you show is for pylon RACING. Not F3A pattern.

Yes pylon ships can go 150mph but it takes tons of power. You could not keep the Sequence together at 150 and it would take staggering power to even approach that.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
Looks like a job for a .60 or .90 and they burn a lot of fuel in only a few minutes from what I read. You know cyberworld,
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:21 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I'm at the point now that I need to decide on the servo location. I've never used a pullpull set up before and don't really like it. I like the simplicity of the rear rudder servo , but am concerned about balance.

I do plan on using 100 gram heavier battery than stock so I think having a rear rudder servo is ok. By looking at the battery tray there's PLENTY of travel for battery movement anyways.

For those who have done both servo locations , does my logic make sense? I think I will keep the elevator servo inside the fuse though.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I am enjoying this airplane and combo - But the SS45 is not up to the task if you want to cruise around leisurely at 1/2 throttle - It will overheat and shut down every time.... All 3 of ours do... So I recommend a 60 amp controller for more headroom.
I'm also a little worried about this since I'm a rather mild flyer. I'm not going to use a lot of WOT. I had planned on using the SS45 with my mild servos and 4s. I think the BEC part should be ok , but yours shutting down is because of part throttle it seems? I expect mine to pull around 40 amps at WOT.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:53 PM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
192 Posts
gulio, I wouldn't be afraid of the pull-pull set up. It works great.

Never had a problem with the ss45.

I've run both of these set ups in the Sequence and the Eagle 580.

IMHO...Tim
King Pin is offline Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:37 AM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Hmm, I have one of those (CAP580) in the box too. I wind up mounting only the rudder servo in the tail. Over-all I'm pretty much done with it now and am pleased with it. I can see I need to work on my "clean" building skills. I'm not too troubled though as it looks good when 20feet away. This was a new/used plane with broken parts anyways.

I'm also trying to get away with cheap components for this first one too and am pleased with my power set-up at 600+ watts. That will be PLENTY for me. Only thing I have to do yet is to snap the throttle up quickly with the prop on to make sure the power system responds ok.

My only 4s battery is WAY too heavy. I mean I like longer flights , but I'd rather have a 4sx3000 or 4000. Something that weighs about 400-500 grams would be nice for balance too. I don;t really think I'll be happy with a 4sx2.2. I'm never happy with any stock battery.

Thanks Tim. Next calm day I just may fly it with the heavy battery.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:39 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I have some cf rod, I think a size under 1mm I'd like to replace the string of the pull-pull string with. Not heavy at all but does't change size much and a lot less likely to frizz then break. I need to design a turnbuckle for it. Maybe a one time CA job like the cf rod goes into a brass tube. Set the servo and rudder then ca the rod permanently.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:28 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
I almost afraid to try flying this plane with it this heavy. It weighs 2175 grams. Maybe 300 grams overweight. Nice balance point and very nicely mounted batteries though. Too bad I don;t have any decent 4s packs or even any 2s packs to put in series.

Who has the most AUW? on their sequence.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
I almost afraid to try flying this plane with it this heavy. It weighs 2175 grams. Maybe 300 grams overweight. Nice balance point and very nicely mounted batteries though. Too bad I don;t have any decent 4s packs or even any 2s packs to put in series.

Who has the most AUW? on their sequence.
Gulio, have you flown yet? I'm curious to see how it went. Want to know if I can use my nano-tech 4S 3300mAh (361g). Thanks.
smarkturner is offline Find More Posts by smarkturner
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
No I haven't. My batteries are over 600 grams. You'll be fine with 361. I have since ordered some 4s packs that will be correct.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
I've just finished mine and hope to maiden it in the next few days. I am using 2650mah nanotechs.
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:09 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
Well yesterday I managed to maiden my sequence.
It was pretty much a non-event, it tracked beautifully on the ground and was very easy to see in the air only two clicks of aileron trim was needed. Landing was also a non event by the second flight I was knife edging like a pro
Unfortunatly on the third flight the canopy popped off and floated to the ground, the plane was still stable without it and I was able to land safely unfortunatly the canopy was damaged tho...
Time for a battery change and this time I rechecked the canopy and it felt nice and secure... and it proberly was for the first couple of minutes but then as before it popped off this time I was at a higher altittude and the canopy floated a long way away.... an hour later and wading though a rather deep creek I managed to find it but I can see it will need to be modified. Both times it came off during knife edge flight.

Now for the good points
-recomended motor/prop is perfect
-aileron and rudder throws were spot on.
-My 2650 nanotechs fitted easily.
-Recommended COG was good.

Bad points
-Canopy latch system.
-Elevator throws were to low (I changed the low to high and increased the high from there).

Overall I am very happy and once the canopy issue is solved I will be flying this every weekend.
I really cannot understand the logic behind the forward facing latchs? any movment caused by the airflow can cause the canopy to unlatch
I did take the time to read the important tech note on greatplanes website and followed their guide to latching the canopy....

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1575-tech2.pdf

-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:44 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Looks good. I think I may tape my canopy every flight. Mine's still waiting on bench.

I just noticed that my wheels are towing out quite a bit. One worse than the other. I hope it isn't going to be trouble. Sure makes it look goofy too.