HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:47 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,870 Posts
I am NOT an outside flyer, but I read a lot of posts from the outside fliers for years now ...

like Mike said, if you use the long servo arms, you will also need a swash that "will deal" with the increased throw - cause what does it help to have more throw if your swash then binds with the outer shaft.
Plus, ask around how many of the outside fliers still use stock motors - so, if you did not already change these, you may also need to think about which aftermarket motors might be useful.

I can tell you from the time way back (a good two years ago) there were people in germany that would fly lamas modded for outdoors that weighted almost 300g because of all the stuff that was changed ...
(but those helis also had a pricetag that could easily rival a TREX450 clone!!)

In the end it is like scott said in your original thread (and I know this from the two or three times I actually tried flying coaxes outside) - Wind is just a coax killer (the heli that dealt best with it was my friends BOL, which however ALSO was/is modded with parts that go in the hundreds ... It also flies on 4S batteries with specially designed electronics! - so the motors have an amount of "juice" that is borderline unimaginable)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:44 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,157 Posts
Good points both Mike and Sven! Not a single true outside flyer is using stock motors. In fact I would have to add that there aren't alot of stock parts left anywhere. And the 2.0 shaft is needed at a minimum along with the microheli swash, shortened flybar, aftermarket gyro, and serious body mods and weight bias changes.
After that the grin factor gets going and that hard work pays off. And pays off in a big way.

Shoot last night I even modded a stinking S107 for my son and we were flying it outside in mild breezes without incident. Left stock it is un flyable with even a tiny inside fan going.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Thanks for the answers, Guys.
Can't get the Helitek 2.0 supershaft anywhere, so would this lot be in order provided i'm not too aggressive with the controls?
1- Xtreme 12mm extended shaft
2- xtreme aluminium swash
3- long eflrsa100 servo arms (off cx2)
4- xtreme blades
5- shorter flybar

Anyone know which flybar I should buy?

I'm in the UK and can only find the xtreme led flybar, but don't know if its the correct length.

I really appreciate your help on this.
Purple Aki is offline Find More Posts by Purple Aki
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:20 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Shortened flybar:
Shotened Flybar $10 http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomT...4_p/bth009.htm I tried to give you a link to another vendor and it came back as discontinued.
Airy Blades:
Airy blades for Lama 4/ cx2 $8.90 http://www.helipal.com/airy-harden-blade-ax-03.html
Xtreme parts can be ordered from Miracle Mart, if they are a more convenient vendor for you. Try to buy as many parts from one vendor as possible in order to save on S&H.
After all of the advice given here, you still have to consider that a small, light coax is not a good wind fighter. I have a 3 cell fat battery and all of the common outdoor mods and the little beast still doesn't like to fly before 8PM when the wind/ breeze dies down. That's just the way it is.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Aki View Post
Can't get the Helitek 2.0 supershaft anywhere, so would this lot be in order provided i'm not too aggressive with the controls?
4- xtreme blades
5- shorter flybar

I'm in the UK and can only find the xtreme led flybar, but don't know if its the correct length.

Is this the OLD or the NEW version of the Xtreme LED flybar ?? (in other words, the white one or the black one?) the black one I know nothing about (too new) but the white one is shorter than a stock flybar - your only drawback will be that you still need weights. Check for DuBro wheel collars (for RC cars) that have a 5/64 center hole.

(EDIT)
looking for flybar ideas? May want to take a peek here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=7
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:26 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Aki View Post
4- xtreme blades
5- shorter flybar

For the shafts, PM: leethetreeguy. Ask Lee about a lipo checker too (very handy). He is a member here and will make the shafts up for you. When ordering your flybar make sure to include some Xtreme flybar links and make sure they are for the Lama and not CX2 (links DO NOT come with flybars). Don't worry about length too much as you will more than likely move the weights in anyway. You may want to consider landing skids as well. Myself, I like the traditional looking skids (like stock). They have some skids that will make your heli look like Santa's sleigh But, if that's your cup of tea...go for it.

Motors: I need some!!! Went onto my fave site (Aero-Nuts) last night and couldn't put my order through: http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=554

You can get the Xtreme jobs but, they will cost you 13 bucks per motor and Aero Nuts are 15 bucks a set and run great.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
When ordering your flybar make sure to include some Xtreme flybar links and make sure they are for the Lama and not CX2 (links DO NOT come with flybars). Don't worry about length too much as you will more than likely move the weights in anyway. You may want to consider landing skids as well. Myself, I like the traditional looking skids (like stock). They have some skids that will make your heli look like Santa's sleigh But, if that's your cup of tea...go for it.
Mike.
I thought I got a link with my BP Hobby/ Dynam flybar, BUT, it's a fixed length. The one on my CX2 came with a link that's adjustable and I thought it was from Boomtown.
Sven, I mentioned the newer style of flybar a while ago and did not get any response from anybody(probably too new for anybody to have tried yet). The new one I saw looks like one they use on an expensive FP heli (CRS, I can't remember the name right now) and they were supposed to be the cat's pajamas.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,870 Posts
I have seen the new version for quite a while too, Jack - I just did not jump into buying one to try it as I usually do. (Just getting too expensive to act this way) so - no comments from me. However, just from looking at it, it will HAVE to be "perfect", as I dont really see a chance to mod this flybar in any way. Buy it and hope it works ... as you wont be able to MAKE it work if it doesn't.
I would stick with the old flybars for now (at least there we all KNOW what to do to improve them ...)

E2
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I have seen the new version for quite a while too, Jack - I just did not jump into buying one to try it as I usually do. (Just getting too expensive to act this way) so - no comments from me. However, just from looking at it, it will HAVE to be "perfect", as I dont really see a chance to mod this flybar in any way. Buy it and hope it works ... as you wont be able to MAKE it work if it doesn't.
I would stick with the old flybars for now (at least there we all KNOW what to do to improve them ...)

E2
The FP heli I was thinking of is the Hirobo Quark:
http://www.amazon.com/Hirobo-0302910.../dp/B003FLLF3W
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The FP heli I was thinking of is the Hirobo Quark:
http://www.amazon.com/Hirobo-0302910.../dp/B003FLLF3W
If I look at this picture, I'd have to say "funny (......) how Xtreme can't come up with new stuff without "borrowing" something from somewhere ..." (strikes me a bit disappointing ...)
RCG Plus Member