Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Alert
35" Sapac Pitts S-2A ARF Biplane - $34.99

I just got this Pitts foamie from Ultimate Hobbies in Orange, CA for $29.95 (now $34.99). The box was taped shut at the store, but I was surprised when I got home and opened it. Not a bad deal, considering what was inside.

- Upper WS - 35"
- Lower WS - 33"
- Length - 31"
- Weight - 22 oz

Ailerons, rudder, elevator, pushrods are all installed. Wheels are rubber, not foam. Comes with a brushed motor and gearbox, but I'll certainly throw it out and replace it with a BL motor.

For this price, you can be sure it's Chinese made, and the manual leaves no doubt about its origin, since it starts with the following:

"The biplane was the emulational biplane of Pitts S-2A and developed. It is designed as the perfect for the beginner and middle degree enthusiast." What the...?

Ultimate Hobbies ships for less than $10. Here's the link:

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=RDLPITTS!1049

Hong
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Last edited by hongrn; Mar 16, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Title change
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2009, 04:07 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
905 Posts
On web site

hongrn,

Thanks for the info.
Yes, they do have it listed on the web site, just no pic...yet!
Listed as Pitts S-2A
$29.95 in stock.
$8.95 shipping FedEx Ground Cont U.S.

Thanks,
Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Last edited by dlazarus6660; May 19, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:41 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
I love Chinglish!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 18, 2009, 06:16 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
905 Posts
Spending

Hong,

I want to thank you for making me spend $40.00 I didn't have!
Thanks alot!

I have been lookin' for this plane for...for-ever!
Thanks for the info.

Take video when you fly it!

Daniel
Old May 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
Excellent price. There is one less on their shelf now. A similar Pitts at another website shows a checkerboard bottom on the wings and tail; Is it the same on this one?
Jim
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old May 20, 2009, 04:57 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
905 Posts
website?

Jim,

What website?

Daniel
Old May 20, 2009, 10:34 PM
Dumb Thumbs! "Awww $)(!^"
Austin, Texas U.S.A
Joined Jul 2008
71 Posts
"Chinglish" ha love it!! Nice find...just ordered one too , Hope the wife doesn't find out.....
Zombie512 is offline Find More Posts by Zombie512
Old May 21, 2009, 01:42 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
905 Posts
Pictures Please!

OK Gentelmen, I want to see a pic posted of your Pitts when it comes to your door!

What say you!
Old May 21, 2009, 01:59 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
Take a look at Nitroplanes. Theirs (sold out) appears to be the same basic Pitts. The bottom is shown with checkerboard pattern. The top is the same pattern as the $29.95 plane. There is a different number on the sides.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:51 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
Take a look at Nitroplanes. Theirs (sold out) appears to be the same basic Pitts. The bottom is shown with checkerboard pattern. The top is the same pattern as the $29.95 plane. There is a different number on the sides.
Hey Jim,

You're right. Looks like the same plane, dimensions do match.
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Old May 23, 2009, 06:13 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
905 Posts
Its Here!

Yippie! It's Here!!!

Here is a pic to prove it!

My Pitts S-2A Came early this afternoon by Fed Ex!

It took me a half an hour to put it together, no electronics or glue just static.

I like it so much I just might git another!

I need to buy me a Parkflite 370 Brushless motor and change out the Brushed motor that in installed.

N-I-C-E P-L-A-N-E!

Only one issue/complaint... the bottom wing is bow(ed) the wrong way.
The plane has an-hedral. The bottom wing should have di-hedral. I know this, it will surly fly better-er up-side-down! lol

It reminds me of the Kosho Pitts. I think it was the same size but heavier because it was a gassie.

Daniel
Last edited by dlazarus6660; May 23, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
My Pitts just arrived! Yes, it is the same checkered pattern underside as the Nitroplanes Pitts. The installed motor is a geared brush motor....this will be replaced with a BL motor. The lower wing is slightly anhedral but should be easy to fix. There is a white bottle that may be CA glue...hope it is for foam. First exam and I am very satisfied. No name anywhere for who makes it. For bipe lovers, at this price it would be a nice hang from the ceiling display model.
Jim
Old Jun 02, 2009, 07:06 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
Just got mine today. Ordered it on Thursday morning so, five days to my door from California, including a weekend. Not bad!

For $39.00, including shipping, it was worth it. Looks nice but needs some work.

Thought I would go with the brushed set up, but, since the motor doesn't even come with the leads attached, or included, decided "Why waste the time". A 2409-12T from Headsuprc.com should work great and, since it comes with an included stick mount, or their optional aluminum mount, should go right on the stock firewall / plastic stick mount assembly with a little modification work to get the motor length right for the cowl.

Plan on using either a GWS 8x4x3 or a GWS 7x3.7x3 with a 3 cell 1500 mAh. Tried one (the Lipo)and it fits great. Should come in at right around 21 ozs just like they say.

Anybody have any idea where to start with control throws? The manual is written for the RTF with radio system and doesn't even mention them.

Looks like the CG is right at the wing strut attachment rod on the upper wing. That is about 3 1/4 inches back from the leading edge at the center, unswept, section of the upper wing. Anybody have any different thoughts?

All the hinges seem a little stiff, but we will see how the servos deal with them before doing any changes.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Last edited by Pete Miller; Jun 02, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 07:18 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
I love Chinglish!
This is priceless:

SECTION 9. Suggestion

8. Be accompanied by a experienced aircraft shark or enthusiast at your first experience.

Hey, I live close to the coast, I can find a shark. You guys in Kansas are out of luck!
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jun 03, 2009, 03:41 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
I just bought one... I'll subscribe to the thread so I can share some build pics and get some in-flight video. I'll probably power it with a CF2822 motor and 9x5HD prop, 1200mah 3S lipo, 18amp SuperSimple ESC... all cheap parts from HobbyCity. It should be a great little "toss in the trunk" flyer I can take to work for my lunch break.

From the looks of everyone else's photos, those wing struts seem kind of flimsy... so I may cut new ones from thin plywood and make them a bit shorter to eliminate the anhedral in the bottom wing. I also ordered a steerable Dubro micro-tailwheel to make ground handling a little easier.

Is this plain styrofoam, or Depron, or Elapor? I plan to fly from grass so I wonder if it could handle an occasional nose-over.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Jun 03, 2009 at 04:02 PM.