HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
New Product
Hawker Hurricane 60" wingspan from Wowplanes

Hello all,

My last design was a 65" Messerschmitt Bf110 twin bomber/night fighter. After much discussion, the Wowplane fan club has voted for a scale 60" Hawker Hurricane fighter.

I am starting this thread to document the design and build process. It will be available as a quick builder's kit, as soon as we have done a successful maiden.

The specs are to be:
Wingspan - nominally 60"
AUW - estimated to be between 4 to 5 lbs, maybe more with optional retracts.
Full house control with optional flaps.
Steerable tail wheel
Fully scale

The kit will include:
Between 12 to 15 foam pre-shaped foam parts
A clear canopy, plastic engine cowl, and the oil cooler.

At this time I am busy building a second ME110 because I crashed mine last weekend. Should be finished with that in another 3 or 4 days. Then it is a race between the Hurricane and a scaled up IMAA legal version of my 60" B26 Marauder. I have not decided which one will be first, awaiting final results of the interest poll I had started in the Giant Electric forum.

Please use this thread for comments regarding the Hurricane. Stay tuned beacuse as always I like to have your valued input during the project. It helps me to get it right and I thank you in advance.

Fahim
Wowplanes.com
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2009, 09:43 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
4,987 Posts
The Hurricane would make a nice addition to my Hangar, I look forward to the build thread.

Victor
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old May 15, 2009, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Will be following this thread as well, though not high on my favourites list, it will be interesting to see how this pans out, and perhaps it will be the first of many single engine fighters from WOW.

Now for an early 'eye candy' and motivational image for all the Hurricane fans out there...
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Last edited by Merkava; May 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,937 Posts
Yup, not nearly enough Hurris out there. It's been overshadowed by that glory-hog Spitfire!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old May 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,668 Posts
I fully and wholeheartedly endorse this thread!

There's little doubt that Sydney Camm's "little" bird is my favourite warbird, so I can't wait to see how this takes shape! Thank for this Fahim and thank you to all those who voted for a Hawker Hurricane!

I think I can make a "our prayers have been answered" post in my "I can't be the only one who'd like to see a 40(+)" Hawker Hurricane foamy" thread!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822708

Cheers!

Kitty ^_^
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
Old May 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,581 Posts
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That certainly rings true to me. The Spit is regarded as one of the most beautiful planes ever built. But it just doesn't do it for me. I like the rugged good looks of it's ugly brother, the Hurri.
The specs look good. I would like to suggest to including the wingbeds with the core. It makes it so much easier to sheet the wings without inducing a warp. I took the utmost care in sheeting my B-26 ( that didn't include the wingbeds) and got lucky. It flew off the bungee like it was on rails.
I would pay extra shipping if necessary just to have the beds.
I will be building this one.
60" ws will be a perfect 1/8th scale, that's nice.
JMHO.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
J
The B26 kit does include wingbeds. I am not sure why they were not in your box, maybe I screwed up.

After the first two models I did, the B25 & B17, all kits after that come with wingbeds, and so will the Hurricane.

Fahim

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That certainly rings true to me. The Spit is regarded as one of the most beautiful planes ever built. But it just doesn't do it for me. I like the rugged good looks of it's ugly brother, the Hurri.
The specs look good. I would like to suggest to including the wingbeds with the core. It makes it so much easier to sheet the wings without inducing a warp. I took the utmost care in sheeting my B-26 ( that didn't include the wingbeds) and got lucky. It flew off the bungee like it was on rails.
I would pay extra shipping if necessary just to have the beds.
I will be building this one.
60" ws will be a perfect 1/8th scale, that's nice.
JMHO.

J
Old May 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,581 Posts
No Fahim, I apologize. It wasn't the 26, it was another model. I have been sick ever since SEFF. I blamed it on shaking hands but caught something and have been running a real high fever. Geez, I hope I can blame it on the fever and not Old Timer's disease! I feel like I need to stop and think before typing. Come to think about it, that's a good idea anyway.
Need to take my meds.
Looking forward to the Hurri.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2009, 09:51 PM
Fairview, OR
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
The Hurricane to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother
Hello all,

My last design was a 65" Messerschmitt Bf110 twin bomber/night fighter. After much discussion, the Wowplane fan club has voted for a scale 60" Hawker Hurricane fighter.

I am starting this thread to document the design and build process. It will be available as a quick builder's kit, as soon as we have done a successful maiden.

The specs are to be:
Wingspan - nominally 60"
AUW - estimated to be between 4 to 5 lbs, maybe more with optional retracts.
Full house control with optional flaps.
Steerable tail wheel
Fully scale

The kit will include:
Between 12 to 15 foam pre-shaped foam parts
A clear canopy, plastic engine cowl, and the oil cooler.

At this time I am busy building a second ME110 because I crashed mine last weekend. Should be finished with that in another 3 or 4 days. Then it is a race between the Hurricane and a scaled up IMAA legal version of my 60" B26 Marauder. I have not decided which one will be first, awaiting final results of the interest poll I had started in the Giant Electric forum.

Please use this thread for comments regarding the Hurricane. Stay tuned beacuse as always I like to have your valued input during the project. It helps me to get it right and I thank you in advanceFahim
Wowplanes.com
Fahim, what a great airplane to copy! I restored a a REAL Hurricane, quite a few years ago. It is now flying with the Fighter Factory, In Virginia Beach, VA USA. Check out the website... http://www.fighterfactory.net/airwor...e-aircraft.php ............Great Machine! It took almost 11 years for the completion of the restoration. Make it look good!.... I know you will! Robert H.
Robert H. is offline Find More Posts by Robert H.
Last edited by Robert H.; May 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:53 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Hi Fahim,
Just a couple of questions:are you using EPP? and will you consider later a ~40" Hurricane?
I'm very happy to see a foam Hurricane .
Dave.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old May 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
I love it!
All of Fahim's planes are appealing, with this one being yet another less modeled subject that I would like to have. Would be perfect for using the simulated ribbing I just performed on a rear fuse covered AR196.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old May 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,398 Posts
Dave, a 40" Hurricane can be done if enough people want it. What say you guys, should we go for 60 or 40? The downside of a 40" is not enough wing area to support the weight of the hardware. The downside of 60" on a single motor is a 6S Lipo or 2x3S in series.

I have decided to go for the Hurricane next instead of the IMAA legal B26 since there is more interest. Will start the design as soon as I am done building my replacement ME110.

Fahim
Old May 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,033 Posts
I would prefer a 60" wingspan and go for retracts and flaps.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old May 16, 2009, 07:39 PM
m109oaladin
Llano TX
Joined Aug 2008
31 Posts
40 inch for me when i saw it was going to be 60 inch i said no 40 inch is a good mid size ig i woant 60 inch airplanes i will go nitro
m109paladin is offline Find More Posts by m109paladin
Old May 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Fahim,
Thank you for the reply, I personally would prefer a 40" model as I fly in local parks and also don't have a lot of area to keep a 60".
I also think the 40" would be more popular with the parkflyers.
After the disappointment with the new Parkzone P-51, I'm sure a lot of people would be excited about a 40" Hurricane!
Dave.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.