HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2009, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Discussion
whats a nice, fair priced fiberglass thermal/slope glider model?

I was wondering if anybody knew of some nice, pretty cheap fiberglass models.
i am in the price range of $120-170, and am in search of a (about) 2.6m fiberglass or scale models capable of flying on pretty weak thermals and updrafts as i dont live near too great gliding sites

i would appriciate any other planes that you would recomend as well

tahnks
Lestertrece is offline Find More Posts by Lestertrece
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 11:18 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,424 Posts
I think you'll be hard pressed at that price range there is an EPO ASW28 with electric assist for around that price and also a EPO DG100 with electric up and go .
but in the glass range Nada I'm afraid, the ones that are available are more slope than thermal IMHO.
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 13, 2009, 11:38 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,202 Posts
In that price range you are pretty much limited to "cheap Chinese". You can get several different scale ships around 2.6 meters for that price range. If you are in the US then you can check to see what Raidentech or Nitroplanes has in stock. These planes are not the best for thermal flying though. They will thermal, but small scale ships are just not very good at it. Light slope lift if fine though. Prices on these range from $100 to $150. There are several to choose from, The Salto, A Discus, DG-1000, Ventus, ASW and there might be one or two others. The ASW is the best flyer. The DG-1000 is a decent flyer. THe Salto is really only suited for slope. The Ventus is also better on the slope.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
At that price, do the fibreglass models have much of an advantage over the foamies?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 14, 2009, 09:24 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
I think you ought to take 'fair-priced' out of the thread title and replace it with 'cheap'. The Luna is fair priced as is a limited run 5M scalie, they are just outside your price bracket.
Many rate the Luna highly and personally would suggest saving the bit longer to get one or something similar, Chinese built, but to a higher quality than the CMPro planes. It will be highly worth it over a cheaper plane you could spend more time repairing than flying and even when it is flying it may not be performing as you'd like.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old May 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestertrece
I was wondering if anybody knew of some nice, pretty cheap fiberglass models. i am in the price range of $120-170,
nope - not even secondhand (OK 4th+hand) for that price
Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor