HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Discussion
foam sanding blocks/loose landing paper ,whats the way with blue foam?

I tittle pretty well says it all..I have been using these sanding foam pads and they contour well but if the edge drags I get even more scratchs ,,If I try a lose pc of 300 grit paper I also make a mess .
It seems that if im real careful and always sand toward me i have better luck but there must be a better way .

please share what you do before lay-up to detail any dents /bumps / etc thks SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
light wieght spackle might help.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2009, 08:52 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Yes,I have been using spackle but my real problem is just how eazy it is to make scraps in the foam ,,maybe they wont show at all but i thought to do my best . The slightest little fragment or chunk of epoxy or anything can ruin a real nice clean surface and when ever I try to sand them out things just get worse, for example the laided the core on a table and sanded once side only to find that the other side was being scored by a tiny pc of carbon that must have been on the table ,,grgrgrg Im wondering if just rubbing them real hard to get the fuzz off and then bag them is all that is needed other than obvious dents etc thks SL
Old May 14, 2009, 03:12 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2004
617 Posts
Be gentle rather than working harder. Keep EVERYTING tidy all the time. Vacuum any dust you make, clean the bench you are working on and go slow.

Foam is really bad for denting up and getting scratched by the smallest thing.

I also think if you are using 300 grit then you are probably gouging the foam with the sandpaper. I wouldn't go below 600 grit for foam as you just don't need to remove that much material at once.
tomahawkflier is offline Find More Posts by tomahawkflier
Old May 14, 2009, 06:49 AM
Milwaukee G Mitchell, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
300 or 600 grit? Those are some very fine sandpapers. Your more polishing the foam with those. I've been using 120, 150 and 220 at the most. The first few cores with new paper you need to be extra careful but after that they work easy. By the way, you shouldn't be sanding anything without a backing block of some kind.

I'll echo what tomahawkflier said about keeping everthing tidy. As you sand, any little balls of foam need to be removed or they'll leave a mark.

Now, that's all for making sanding dents/gouges in the foam caused by foreign matter...if what your getting is from the corners of the sanding block or paper (like I get sometimes) this is what I do.
First I assume when you say foam pads your talking about something like the 3M drywall sanding foam things you can buy at HomeDepot or the like? I'll take one of those and chamfer the corners so they cant dig in. Then get some round self adhesive sanding disks (like you'd stick to a power disk sander) and stick them to the foam. Don't trim them square, keep them round. The edges will curl up and there are no corners to dig into the foam. Gentle strokes in only one direction, blowing the dust away as you sand should yeild good results.

Good luck,
davidk

p.s. You should always have the cores in the beds. When your sanding the top, the core should be resting in the bottom shuck/bed and vice versa.

p.p.s. To get the hairs off that are a result of cutting the foam, us a latex gloved hand and wipe (in one direction again) them off. A vacuum can be handy to clean the resulting mess (it has a lot of static cling)

p.p.p.s. Small dents/gouges can sometimes be removed with steam. Soak a paper towel, lay it over the foam and with a hot iron lightly rub over the dent. A quick touch, check it, touch it again, etc. Don't let it get dry or you'll melt the foam.
davekra is offline Find More Posts by davekra
Last edited by davekra; May 14, 2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:02 AM
Milwaukee G Mitchell, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
Enough post scripts already.

If the cores are for hand launch, you should be more concerned with sanding. If it's for a heavier layup, you can be less picky about things.

Ok, I think that's all I got right now

Have fun,
davidk
davekra is offline Find More Posts by davekra
Old May 14, 2009, 07:04 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
I'm guilty of regularly interfering with cores....

I have had success with gouge free sanding since i changed over to 3m sanding pads - generally use 180/320 grit (brownish colour). And as suggested i had to get tidy, clean and purposeful in my actions. I sand away from myself always towards an edge so that the dust/debris clears.

Just searched the net... Seems there are sponges/pads and sponge blocks.

I use the sponge block, it's about 1" thick and i can get good control of the sanding action.

found some links..
http://www.amazon.com/3M-20907-180-S...ol_ai_-2_1_tit

http://www.amazon.com/3M-SandBlaster.../dp/B000BQO054

cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is online now Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Last edited by jirvin_4505; May 14, 2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: links
Old May 14, 2009, 07:07 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
THKS for that Dave,,I am doing this for dlg so weight is an issue,,yes,,600 grit does nothing really in fact, I started using 220 and had better luck ,,, great idea using a round disc to make the corners less aggresive ,,I had 3n77 paper to a foam pad but found that with 3-600 grit there was so much motion i thought the chances of scores was greater than focusing on smaller spots with courser grit ,,,, thks again SL
Old May 14, 2009, 07:11 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
in the interest of others who may search in the future ,,i will post pictures of the foam that I use ,,they do work well but the edges hand up a bit ,,,maybe I should sand the edges of my power disc lolol thks SL
Old May 14, 2009, 08:24 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I've just used the 120 open screen drywall paper. I lay a bath towel in my lap and sand over it. One time I was just sanding on my lap and kept denting with the keys in my pocket. Bummer. It seems the main feature of foam is also its drawback.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member