HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
I finally got my power issues worked out. The Park 400 is plenty of power for this plan IMO. My problem was the old TP Prolites I was using. A friend loaned me two Zippy Flightmax 800 mah 20C. The plane had ample power with this setup. I was very impressed with how it flew. Unfortunately my GWS receiver took a hit and it rolled into the ground. The fuse is broke into two pieces, but it's a very clean break. I will glue it, reinforce it, and run some clear tape down the sides. Very great flying plane though.
Sorry to hear of your crash. I am going to order some lighter packs this weekend to see how it works out. What flight times were you getting on the 800mah?
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
The fuse is broke into two pieces, but it's a very clean break. I will glue it, reinforce it, and run some clear tape down the sides. Very great flying plane though.
Dude, sorry to hear about that. I personally have a couple GWS RX's that I am going to not use any more. I have a scratch design Cap 580 and it flys great..... When it is not having a bad case of the shakes. I have another just like it in a FireFly, twitchy dern thing. I going all Corona Synth from now on, I have 4 of them, no crystals to buy and they are rock solid, the 19.00 dollar part does not hurt either.

I have a FlightMax 3S800 and a Turnigy 3S800 and they are very nice lipos, I still prefer the Rhinos but these are right there with them.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
More flight testing today. Getting around 10min flight time, with my 1300mah pack, with a mean amp draw of around 6.5A with a moderate 3D routine. Still plane on heavy side, but does not fly like that. However, I have ordered a lighter prop than the 11x3.8 APC and some lighter 750mah packs, to bring my weight down and see how flight is on a lighter setup. When they arrive I'll post another flight update. Should shave a good 2.5oz off weight.

DaoldGuy - Flown yet? Let us know!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
More flight testing today. Getting around 10min flight time, with my 1300mah pack, with a mean amp draw of around 6.5A with a moderate 3D routine. Still plane on heavy side, but does not fly like that. However, I have ordered a lighter prop than the 11x3.8 APC and some lighter 750mah packs, to bring my weight down and see how flight is on a lighter setup. When they arrive I'll post another flight update. Should shave a good 2.5oz off weight.

DaoldGuy - Flown yet? Let us know!
I wish, I am in Sunny <but chilli> Orlando Florida for the Gartner IT Xpo 2009.....With no airplanes

I get back Wed night later, I hope to put it together and try it out this weekend.

Those APC props are a tad heavy, are you going to a GWS?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear of your crash. I am going to order some lighter packs this weekend to see how it works out. What flight times were you getting on the 800mah?
I got one pretty long flight out of the 800 mah. I didn't time it exactly but I'd say 7 or 8 minutes and it still seemed to have pretty good power at the end.

I got the Silhouette glued back together just fine. Of course the winds blowing 25 mph for the rest of the week now.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
I got one pretty long flight out of the 800 mah. I didn't time it exactly but I'd say 7 or 8 minutes and it still seemed to have pretty good power at the end.

I got the Silhouette glued back together just fine. Of course the winds blowing 25 mph for the rest of the week now.
Yep windy here in Houston also.... and rain for next 2 days, still better than snow and howling gales like folks in the NE.....
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:45 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Yep windy here in Houston also.... and rain for next 2 days, still better than snow and howling gales like folks in the NE.....
I left Iowa for that reason!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
A light landing today, resulted in the motor mount falling out of the front of the plane with attached motor and prop, and a piece of surrounding foam. Closer inspection suggests that this was a bad glue job from the factory, between the foam piece that the motor plate is attached to and the surrounding foam frame. The break was real clean and flat where the factory glue could be seen not to have adequately bonded with the foam. I have repaired it now, but I suggest to you all that you inspect this area and perhaps run a small seam of foam safe CA around the join points and also around the side slots the motor plate fits into.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
A light landing today, resulted in the motor mount falling out of the front of the plane with attached motor and prop, and a piece of surrounding foam. Closer inspection suggests that this was a bad glue job from the factory, between the foam piece that the motor plate is attached to and the surrounding foam frame. The break was real clean and flat where the factory glue could be seen not to have adequately bonded with the foam. I have repaired it now, but I suggest to you all that you inspect this area and perhaps run a small seam of foam safe CA around the join points and also around the side slots the motor plate fits into.

Well that is not a good thing at all, thanksw for the heads up. I just got off a plane back home, looks like rain this weekend though, but I will build it.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:44 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
I think that's just "nature of the beast" when it comes to foamies. I have had problems keeping the motor mounts solidly in place on 38" DW Foamies kits too. I've used Gorilla Glue, Epoxy, and Liquid Nails Perfect Glue and the motor mounts always comes loose after the first couple of belly landings. I now reinforce the entire motor mount area with light ply and then use triangle stock to reinforce the mount. So far I haven't had an issue with that, although it does add weight.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
I think that's just "nature of the beast" when it comes to foamies. I have had problems keeping the motor mounts solidly in place on 38" DW Foamies kits too. I've used Gorilla Glue, Epoxy, and Liquid Nails Perfect Glue and the motor mounts always comes loose after the first couple of belly landings. I now reinforce the entire motor mount area with light ply and then use triangle stock to reinforce the mount. So far I haven't had an issue with that, although it does add weight.
Thanks, it's something I need to check regularly. Gonna keep practicing my hover, until I can fly to my hand! That's always a solution. Or more likely elevator down into some knee high grass where we fly.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:00 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, it's something I need to check regularly. Gonna keep practicing my hover, until I can fly to my hand! That's always a solution. Or more likely elevator down into some knee high grass where we fly.
With the EPP foamies I built, you tend to not have as much vibration damage that helps work things loose. I have done the Lawn Dart Dance and ripped the foam now and then. I have had good luck with Hot melt glue since it tends to absorb both shock and vibration.

Thing I have noticed is it could have been working loose for a while, just the shock of the ground huried it up. I know I tend to sound like a Jenny Craig commercial, but heavier hardware can also cause addition stress at that point as well.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
With the EPP foamies I built, you tend to not have as much vibration damage that helps work things loose. I have done the Lawn Dart Dance and ripped the foam now and then. I have had good luck with Hot melt glue since it tends to absorb both shock and vibration.

Thing I have noticed is it could have been working loose for a while, just the shock of the ground huried it up. I know I tend to sound like a Jenny Craig commercial, but heavier hardware can also cause addition stress at that point as well.
Heavier hardware is a probable factor, it was a nice easy landing though. I'll keep checking it over before each flight and I will be trying some 750mah Rhino packs as soon as they arrive. Hot glue is an option, I'll keep a close eye on the mount in the interim.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:46 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
And construction FINALLY starts.

I have no use what so ever for foam safe CA, I try to use it, I really do but it just is not "Ron friendly". I have enough UHU Creativ left for this plane, not sure why they had to quit making it.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Rudder Warp

Is this the Rudder Warp that was mentioned before?

I am going to start off with a piece of .5 x 3.0 mm CF strip along the bottom of the rudder and see how this goes. Sounds like they have a issue with that part.

I noticed many thing that are in the instructions that need done are already completed, like the rudder and elevator horn and little things.

The Wing fit very nice, I had read somewhere that the wing fit wasn't perfect, this was very nice.