HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^I doubt it's shipper problems, because there are sections of foam that are melted, and cracked from the improper use of glue. Also, the tail section is bowed out.
Ouch
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2009, 08:52 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Okay, so I contacted the local Hobby People, because the plane was distributed from the warehouse, and they said they have one Silhouette in stock and will exchange it provided I have the receipt

Just need to have the person I bought the plane from send me the email receipt (purchased online), then print it out and bring it in Should be building it by tomorrow
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 03, 2009, 04:25 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Xpress,

I can understand you frustration over the whole ordeal. I would most likely feel the same way. Just a thought, you might already have the receipt in an email (unless you're like me and delete them) or can go to their web-site and look under "your order history". I am glad to hear your problem has been remedied.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Okay, so I took the junker to the Hobby People with the order receipts that came with the planes, and they took a good look at the plane. Needless to say, they were thinking exactly the same as I was.

But they exchanged it without any trouble Now that's customer service.

Anyways, took it home, had it buit in an hour 15 minutes. Went out to fly, and wasn't very happy. Too many variables to say it was a crappy airframe (I.E. wind, a tad nose heavy, only 1" aileron deflection, ect. ect.), so tomorrow (or whenever the wind dies) I will be tweaking things up, to make it fly awesome

AUW = 15.8oz... Gunna shave some weight off then try again. Hovers at less than half throttle.

So right now, it's a C airframe. By the time I'm through with it, it WILL fly like an A++ airframe
Old Oct 05, 2009, 01:17 AM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Xpress,

What do you plan to do to shave off some weight, besides use a smaller batt? Anything "EXTREME" like cutting down the non-moving portion of the elevator than recovering with packing tape and then cutting out some of the structured supports near the nose? Just a thought.

Glad to hear HP gave some good customer satisfaction without the problems like some companies can do.

John
Old Oct 05, 2009, 02:04 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^My whole plan to lighten it was originally remove the gear, use a lighter lipo, and then use a lighter motor, but seeing as i only have cash for a few 3 cell 800 mah lipos, i might as well shave off about an ounce, to go down to like 14.7-14.8oz

I also need a new canopy, because I lost it from it blowing off. Going to make it a hatch..
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Okay, went out and did a bunch moreflying, but I still have the same problem:

The plane tends to drift to either the left or right after a bit of level flight. All of the surfaces center perfectly, and I'm using brand new hitec HS55's all around.

I doubt it's radio problems, as it doesn't feel like tha at all. I'm also wondering if it could be my weight. I've decided to drop down to a Himax HC2809-0980 that I've had for years and has minimal use. Should be plenty of power on an APC 10x4.7SF prop. Also, I'm going down to some Thunder Power 3 cell 730 mah ProLites, which totaled up, will same me about an ounce alltogether
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:02 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
240 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the guy quoted in post #10 is right on the ball.
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:04 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
Okay, went out and did a bunch moreflying, but I still have the same problem:
The plane tends to drift to either the left or right after a bit of level flight. All of the surfaces center perfectly, and I'm using brand new hitec HS55's all around.
I doubt it's radio problems, as it doesn't feel like tha at all. I'm also wondering if it could be my weight. I've decided to drop down to a Himax HC2809-0980 that I've had for years and has minimal use. Should be plenty of power on an APC 10x4.7SF prop. Also, I'm going down to some Thunder Power 3 cell 730 mah ProLites, which totaled up, will same me about an ounce alltogether
First would be a validation of CG, that can create some drifting.

Personally I am not found of the SF Props, they tend to generate motor torque due to the thick air foil. If you trim the plane at a mid throttle, it may drift right at low throttle and drift left at a higher throttle. This can happen with any prop, just seems more noticable with a torque prop.

Check you wing tips for washin/washout, mainly to validate they are the same on each side.

Grab the motor by the bell, hold the plane out and check your lateral balance.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^Lateral balance is perfect, wing is centered, and I've never had a bad experience using SF props- not in the 5 or so years I've been using them. My other profiles I can trim perfectly, so that they fly perfectly at all throttle settings (no radio mixes).

I'm just thinking it's a bit overweight, and then my CG needs to go back. Also, the wind could be contributing...
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:25 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,328 Posts
Quote:
^Lateral balance is perfect, wing is centered, and I've never had a bad experience using SF props- not in the 5 or so years I've been using them. My other profiles I can trim perfectly, so that they fly perfectly at all throttle settings (no radio mixes).

I'm just thinking it's a bit overweight, and then my CG needs to go back. Also, the wind could be contributing...
With your experience I would have assumed you had ruled out the wind since it was not mentioned.

I never mentioned any thing about the "wing center", I was refering to tip wash, possibility the wing has a slight twist at one tip or another which can add to drifting.
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:07 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^Oh, lol, for some reason I was thinking of wing center...

I don't really rule out the wind untill I can fly the plane in no wind, and see how it performs, but untill then, it's just a variable still
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:33 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
240 Posts
The day you total this plane will be a blessing. It seems like it's one thing after another.
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000
The day you total this plane will be a blessing. It seems like it's one thing after another.
Hey hey, i'm still ironing out the wrinkles. If my next power system doesn't make the plane fly better, then i'm just going to gut it, and go back to DW
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:30 PM
BadPilot
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
The only time I noticed any quick shift of the wings was due to wind or thermals. This only happened with my really light planes. Did you have a chance to fly it indoors?

"Quote from Xpress, My whole plan to lighten it was originally remove the gear, use a lighter lipo, and then use a lighter motor, but seeing as i only have cash for a few 3 cell 800 mah lipos, i might as well shave off about an ounce, to go down to like 14.7-14.8oz"
Have you ever build lipo batteries? HK sells separate cells at a very reasonable price.

John