HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Nice vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsoda2
I have to admit I've not had much fun with foamies, but this is the best foam plane I have ever built or flown. As a beginning 3D flier it is very forgiving and amazingly durable. The review is right on and I highly recommend...
Good Flying, Dave
You need to get more foamies
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:08 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Nice, nice flying.

Please post your specs, motor, battery etc.

Thanks
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
It belongs to a Club member. Currently it has a Eflite Park 370 but he wants to go up a notch on power. TP 3S730 lipo. The only thing I seen that was an issue was the hatch needed a bit of blenderm to keep it on.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:53 AM
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd pipe up on this thread. I've been flying my silhouette all summer. It pretty much lives in my car. I absolutely love this plane. It'll pretty much do anything i ask it to. The maneuver I have the most fun with is when there's a bit of wind, put it into a death drop, and when I'm pretty much at the ground do a KE hover. So much fun. I'm using all super tiger gear. I started with the 370 outrunner, and there was decent power, but then I moved to the 400 and it just got that much better. And for batteries, I've been using the 640 and 910 ST ones. Both are great choices for lightness IMHO. and I get between 4-7 mins hard 3D flight. The one con I have is there should be a better method for keeping the hatch down. I just use tape all the time, and it can get a little annoying. But all in all, this plane rocks. I really think it was the best Great Planes release all year.

Cheers
Greg
gerg is offline Find More Posts by gerg
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:39 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
daoldguy,

Very nice flying that plane can handle slow steady flight extremely well.

TFS

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:45 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
Looks like a winner, and for the price you cannot go wrong, anyone end up guing one yet? I cannot find anything on the foam used? A crash story would help
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet
Looks like a winner, and for the price you cannot go wrong, anyone end up guing one yet? I cannot find anything on the foam used? A crash story would help
The one I video taped appears to be a standard Dupron type construction, knotch cut joints.

After walking out and picking up the canopy hatch a couple times, I really positive its Dupron.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^Dupron???

You mean DEPron

The foam itself is similar to Depron, but it isn't depron. It's like a mix of depron with a bit of EPP or EPO thrown into it, to make it a little bit more durable
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Okay, so having gone 3 days without a reply from the manufacturer, I have decided to write off Greatplanes/Electrifly as a source for "quality" aircraft.

Unless something is done immediately to resolve it, I will NOT be buying anything else from Greatplanes/Electrify ever again.
Old Oct 01, 2009, 08:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^Dupron???

You mean DEPron

The foam itself is similar to Depron, but it isn't depron. It's like a mix of depron with a bit of EPP or EPO thrown into it, to make it a little bit more durable

Wow.... It must not be much EPP mixed in at all, all I fly is EPP and there was no signs of anything special, being I am not a Dupron user, I could be easily fooled.

According to the "review" at the beginning of this thread it is called.....

"Made of Pro-Formance foam with a one-piece wing and huge hollow fuselage, the fully painted Silhouette is a super 3D flyer both indoors and out. "

The author also refered to it as "delicate".
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Oct 01, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Foam type
Old Oct 01, 2009, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^Yes, it is infact very similar to Depron, but isn't quite, like they threw a few beads of EPP in the mix.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 04:36 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Xpress,

Isn't that a bit drastic? "I will NOT be buying anything else from Greatplanes/Electrify ever again. " What if GreatPlanes make one ACFT you cannot find anywhere else? I guess you could always build it from scratch and that is fun too. I just have not read too many posts from you that you sound so angered.

Anyways, have a great day.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Oct 02, 2009, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^It's because I got a damaged product from them, and they want me to pay shipping to send it back to them! I got it a week late from expected delivery date, and had to wait days for a reply from product support, and now tey tell me that I need to pay the $15 to ship it back.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 01:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^It's because I got a damaged product from them, and they want me to pay shipping to send it back to them! I got it a week late from expected delivery date, and had to wait days for a reply from product support, and now tey tell me that I need to pay the $15 to ship it back.
"Sounds" like it is a shipper issue, not a vendor issue.
Old Oct 02, 2009, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^I doubt it's shipper problems, because there are sections of foam that are melted, and cracked from the improper use of glue. Also, the tail section is bowed out.