HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
NH
Joined May 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_6string View Post
Well, I'm finally getting my order together. Having read through most of the posts, I'm left wondering which set up to go with. DaOldGuy, your set up (E-Flite motor) seems the lightest, but is also the most expensive when compared to motors at HC. And then there is LittleOak's setup (Turnigy from HC) which is a fair amount cheaper, but is a bit heavier (and faster?). And then I saw someone suggest an even heavier motor that allows up to 19 Amps.... It would be nice if I could get a light setup at HC's prices, but I'm worried about it becoming too fast on the downlines.

So folks, what do you recommend? Here are the 4 choices that I've seen (I don't think anyone has actually reported using the Turnigy 2213 20turn 1050kv 19A Outrunner)

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLM1305

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5688

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2112

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...s_Motor_1000kv

What I'd like to know is... is the extra $35 plus tax worth it for the E-Flite Park 400/920 kv motor? If so, I'll stick with DaOldGuy's setup. I'm having trouble find the dubro long arms #936 at my lhs, but I'm assuming that anything similar should work.

Thanks again... Hope to get this bird flying soon.

Cheers,
Andrew
This is the set up I am running and it ROCKS.

TR 28-30B 14A 1050Kv Brushless Outrunner at $10.79 http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...?idProduct=2112

Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC $7.69 http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...ries_15-18A_ESC

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo $3.59/each http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...p?idProduct=662

didn't need any fancy servo arms to get 50 degrees of throw either. i would recommend the rino 750mah packs.
fly247 is online now Find More Posts by fly247
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon_1 View Post
I did a full removable canopy because there was no way I was going to be able to reach inside with my short fingers.
Do you have any specs on your canopy modification? I still finishing up mine, but I think I will have to do this mod as well. Did you use magnets to hold the canopy on? If so, did they interfere any with the reciver?
fbregar is offline Find More Posts by fbregar
Last edited by fbregar; Jul 24, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
Hatch is a issue. Lost it the on my second flight. Got some thin foam and built two more.
Last edited by fbregar; Jul 24, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
Are those magnets on the aft end of the canopy? If so, what strength are they? Do they interfere with the radio?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:08 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbregar View Post
Are those magnets on the aft end of the canopy? If so, what strength are they? Do they interfere with the radio?
just 2 tiny magents sticking to each other. There is no inteference, I have been making magnet hatches on all my planes with 72 mhz.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:15 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
64 Posts
Speaking of wing incidence...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3720186
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Last edited by el touristo; Jan 21, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:23 AM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Most of the ESCs for this size application come with a built in BEC. Remember to keep it light if you are wanting a floater 3D bird.
I have on mine
Eflite Park 400 920 Kv
Corona 6 gram synth RX
Futaba Servos S3110 8-9 gram
Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESC <bec must be able to run 4 servos>

Use a little glue on the Firewall where it meets the fuse
The wood horns have been problimatic for the ply seperating and some failed
The Canopy Mod is WONDERFUL
If you want to do rolling take offs, go to a taller tire <2 3/8 inch is what I have>

I personally dont recomend foam safe CA, with kicker on this foam is seems to get brittle, I use UHU Creativ which is harder to find, there are other flexable glues that are foam safe.
Is Welders Glue ok to use on this foam...????
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:10 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
1,904 Posts
Also is there a thread other than this one for this plane ? Is there a link to all the preferred mods etc. ? Im fixing to put her together and doing my research before I start gluing..
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
Also is there a thread other than this one for this plane ? Is there a link to all the preferred mods etc. ? Im fixing to put her together and doing my research before I start gluing..
Best Mod I have found
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037002

Do not try to put a larger heavier motor on this bird. The motor mount area is a "break point" that needs a bit extra glue and such for the required motor. Build Light!
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
Watch it...Watch it ...Duck!
San Dimas, CA
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Is Welders Glue ok to use on this foam...????
Good question. I always assumed welders will melt the foam, but hadn't tried it. So I just dug out my old busted up Silhouette & a tube of welder's. Yep, it melted.
The Silhouette is a fun plane & the best bargain out there for a 40" 3D foamy. Especially when you consider the airfoiled wing, paint scheme, and pre-hinged control surfaces. But beware, it is very fragile. I loved mine so much I bought another, but have yet to build it. On my new one I plan to reinforce both sides of the fuse with a 36" long strip of 1/4" wide carbon fiber.
On a DW Foamies plane I built I used "Aleen's fast grab tacky glue", available at Michael's or other craft stores. It's held up great, and I also used it to completely re-build the nose and re attach both haves of the fuse. The plane still flies great no matter how hard I pound it. Aleene's dries slowly though, which is good for an acurate, but not a quick build. Just get your pins out.
full flaps is offline Find More Posts by full flaps
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by full flaps View Post
Good question. I always assumed welders will melt the foam, but hadn't tried it. So I just dug out my old busted up Silhouette & a tube of welder's. Yep, it melted.
UHU Creativ or UHU Por are a bit more friendly... Hot Glue is really hard to get into those areas, maybe a bit of Epoxy. That wood firewall needs help. I layered some 3mm EPP around the areas to give flex and support and the UHU works good.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:44 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
1,904 Posts
Quote:
The Silhouette is a fun plane & the best bargain out there for a 40" 3D foamy. Especially when you consider the airfoiled wing, paint scheme, and pre-hinged control surfaces. But beware, it is very fragile. I loved mine so much I bought another, but have yet to build it. On my new one I plan to reinforce both sides of the fuse with a 36" long strip of 1/4" wide carbon fiber.
On a DW Foamies plane I built I used "Aleen's fast grab tacky glue", available at Michael's or other craft stores. It's held up great, and I also used it to completely re-build the nose and re attach both haves of the fuse. The plane still flies great no matter how hard I pound it. Aleene's dries slowly though, which is good for an acurate, but not a quick build. Just get your pins out.
Bummer. I like welders and thought for sure it would be ok. Guess I'll use hmmm ? Hate using CA on the whole plane and hot glue is heavy. So I assume Aleens wont melt the Silo foam ?

I didn't think it was as fragile as everyone is making it out to be. Hopefully it will hold up to my belly landings unless the LG holds up.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:46 PM
Champagne Supernova
Joined Jul 2010
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
UHU Creativ or UHU Por are a bit more friendly... Hot Glue is really hard to get into those areas, maybe a bit of Epoxy. That wood firewall needs help. I layered some 3mm EPP around the areas to give flex and support and the UHU works good.
Yeh the LHS told me to use epoxy. Its heavy too but good for some things. I found UHU but its UHU twist or something like that.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:31 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
The second one I built, I used RC56 canopy glue to reinforce the firewall and critical stress points. Works great, and stays flexible!
If I remember right, I used it to glue in my wing, inside and out, goes on white and dries clear and flexible. Much better than Ca glue! You just need to let sit overnight to dry! Which means a little patience is required! hehehe

Mikeeee
vinmech is offline Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:59 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,983 Posts
Quote:
Yeh the LHS told me to use epoxy. Its heavy too but good for some things. I found UHU but its UHU twist or something like that.
As Mike says, Canopy glue is a good option. The UHU Twist is something I tried in the past and it has been given to my kids to play with. Creativ and Por are getting harder to find but it works good. www.rcfoam.com sells it.

Epoxy is heavy but if very lightly applied it can do wonders.