HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:05 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
I am going to use dubro long servo arms on ailerons this time. Also I have got smaller 1000mah packs. I have not decided whether to do the hatch mod yet, as I can mount these packs on edge on the inside of the fuse. If I do the hatch mod I have some foam left from the wreck that I will line the wing top with to give that some additional protection from pulling pack in and out. I will also only use 1cm wide velcro strip, as the 1" wide stuff grips too tight and resulted in damage over time pulling battery in and out. We will see how she goes this weekend at the latest.
The Canopy mod I did was a blessing. It fixes the hatch blowing off, it fixes the wear and tear of opening and closing, and just getting the lipo out was tearing the back of the canopy. I was skiddish about doing it but with the magnets and such, very nice.

I had mine out a couple weeks ago, still loving the knife edge loops.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I am right on 16oz AUW, I may still do the canopy mod, but I am just going to hold for the maiden. I need to pick up a shorter Y-harness. I don't need a 12" one. With 12" extensions on Aileron servos I have plenty to reach Rx.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
I am right on 16oz AUW, I may still do the canopy mod, but I am just going to hold for the maiden. I need to pick up a shorter Y-harness. I don't need a 12" one. With 12" extensions on Aileron servos I have plenty to reach Rx.
This plane does require some strange wires for the wings from what I remember. Good luck with the maiden, looking forward to a report.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Pic 1 - Hatch Mod Done!
Pics 2 & 3 - Significant additional aileron throw!
Pic 4 - Long dubro arms!

All ready for later today.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Nice... That hatch mod is nice, it is hard to picture yourself cutting up a new fuse, but it was worth it for me.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Silo 2 - Brief Maiden Report

Flew 4 packs this morning. Hand launched each time due to the weird ROG issue this plane has. With this lighter setup she floats nice and slow. Balance was very neutral, with just a breath of forward elevator when inverted. Rolling circles & harriers, no problem with only elevator, or only rudder, very nice. Hover, easy to pop into a hover and hang there for minutes. Knife edge exhibits some elevator coupling towards canopy, the rudder has a big affect, and you don't need much. Flat spin would not flatten out normal or inverted, but slowed descent nicely. Perhaps a little power might help there, will check it out next time. One thing is the increased aileron throw is a big help, really helps counteracting the torque in a hover, before with stock arms, she would slowly drift out of a hover even with full opposite aileron. More aileron really helps in rolling circles also, due to more roll speed. Before the elevator had a lot more control than the ailerons, now the ailerons and elevator effects are about the same. It's a worthwhile upgrade. She feels very fragile though, I really notice that after flying balsa and epp planes in the post Silo-1 crash period. I could not recommend this plane for a 3D trainer for that reason, but for a moderately experienced pilot she will be a popular flyer on those calmer days outside.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
Silo 2 - Brief Maiden Report

Flew 4 packs this morning. Hand launched each time due to the weird ROG issue this plane has. With this lighter setup she floats nice and slow. Balance was very neutral, with just a breath of forward elevator when inverted. Rolling circles & harriers, no problem with only elevator, or only rudder, very nice. Hover, easy to pop into a hover and hang there for minutes. Knife edge exhibits some elevator coupling towards canopy, the rudder has a big affect, and you don't need much. Flat spin would not flatten out normal or inverted, but slowed descent nicely. Perhaps a little power might help there, will check it out next time. One thing is the increased aileron throw is a big help, really helps counteracting the torque in a hover, before with stock arms, she would slowly drift out of a hover even with full opposite aileron. More aileron really helps in rolling circles also, due to more roll speed. Before the elevator had a lot more control than the ailerons, now the ailerons and elevator effects are about the same. It's a worthwhile upgrade. She feels very fragile though, I really notice that after flying balsa and epp planes in the post Silo-1 crash period. I could not recommend this plane for a 3D trainer for that reason, but for a moderately experienced pilot she will be a popular flyer on those calmer days outside.
Sweet, it sounds like mine. I have the same slight couple to the canopy, thought a tad of mixing should cure that no problem. I think my aileron throws are as far as the hinge will allow <extended endpoints helped> but I need to check that out to be sure.

It sounds like it went very positive, I would COMPLETELY agree with you, it is not a beginner 3D trainer, someone needs to be comfortable with the basics <and a plane that can take a bounce or 18> but once there, this plane is very rewarding.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
RC'rs get high on flying
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Rimfire question

Hi folks,

I have a Silhouette, NIB, and would like to build it, but am wondering about a motor that I have. I have a new Rimfire 28-26-1300kV (model # GPMG4530). It was $60 and so I'm wondering, do you folks know if this motor will be suitable for the Silhouette? I want to fly the Sil outdoors, doing aerobatics, pattern and some basic 3D flight. I'd like for it to have enough power to easily punch out of a hover. If it's no good for this plane, maybe it will be suitable for a my ElectriFly Flatana? If not, can you folks recommend a plane that would be good for this motor?..lol I originally bought it for an ElectriFly Pluma that someone gave me, but couldn't use it because of some nose mod done to the plane. I'm such a newb. I really want to build my Sil, but if I can't use the Rimfire that I have now, I'd like to get the motor, ESC, (+bec if recommended) from HK, to help keep costs down and find some other use for the Rimfire.

Many thanks,
AC
mr_6string is offline Find More Posts by mr_6string
Old May 25, 2010, 12:40 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_6string View Post
Hi folks,

I have a Silhouette, NIB, and would like to build it, but am wondering about a motor that I have. I have a new Rimfire 28-26-1300kV (model # GPMG4530). It was $60 and so I'm wondering, do you folks know if this motor will be suitable for the Silhouette? I want to fly the Sil outdoors, doing aerobatics, pattern and some basic 3D flight. I'd like for it to have enough power to easily punch out of a hover. If it's no good for this plane, maybe it will be suitable for a my ElectriFly Flatana? If not, can you folks recommend a plane that would be good for this motor?..lol I originally bought it for an ElectriFly Pluma that someone gave me, but couldn't use it because of some nose mod done to the plane. I'm such a newb. I really want to build my Sil, but if I can't use the Rimfire that I have now, I'd like to get the motor, ESC, (+bec if recommended) from HK, to help keep costs down and find some other use for the Rimfire.

Many thanks,
AC
I am affraid it would fly but you will not be happy with it. That motor is like a 370 and would only be good for 3D for a 12ish ounce plane.
I first tried my Axi 2208-34 and it just was not enough either. I then dropped a EFlite Park 400 920KV and that does very well, but you can always use more.

There are many choices from HC you can use, just dont get too heavy of a motor, there nose is not set up to carry a fatty motor.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:24 PM
RC'rs get high on flying
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Thank you, DaOldGUy.

I'm going to do two things. 1. look through this thread for a recommened setup using HC gear and 2... Look for a 12 ounce plane so that I can put that motor to good use.

Are people using a BEC with this plane?

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old May 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, DaOldGUy.

I'm going to do two things. 1. look through this thread for a recommened setup using HC gear and 2... Look for a 12 ounce plane so that I can put that motor to good use.

Are people using a BEC with this plane?

Thanks again,
Andrew
Most of the ESCs for this size application come with a built in BEC. Remember to keep it light if you are wanting a floater 3D bird.
I have on mine
Eflite Park 400 920 Kv
Corona 6 gram synth RX
Futaba Servos S3110 8-9 gram
Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESC <bec must be able to run 4 servos>

Use a little glue on the Firewall where it meets the fuse
The wood horns have been problimatic for the ply seperating and some failed
The Canopy Mod is WONDERFUL
If you want to do rolling take offs, go to a taller tire <2 3/8 inch is what I have>

I personally dont recomend foam safe CA, with kicker on this foam is seems to get brittle, I use UHU Creativ which is harder to find, there are other flexable glues that are foam safe.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:53 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I support everything daoldguy is saying. Love that canopy design as not only is the hatch a pain, getting the battery up and out of the fuselage and away from the side wall is difficult too. Brittle seems to be the appropriate word, but stiff is necessary. Wings are strong, nose is not. Consider hot glue instead of CA for quick fixes.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:14 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Hey guys, I'm selling my silhouette completely ready to go for $150, minus radio.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1258897
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
RC'rs get high on flying
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Well, I'm finally getting my order together. Having read through most of the posts, I'm left wondering which set up to go with. DaOldGuy, your set up (E-Flite motor) seems the lightest, but is also the most expensive when compared to motors at HC. And then there is LittleOak's setup (Turnigy from HC) which is a fair amount cheaper, but is a bit heavier (and faster?). And then I saw someone suggest an even heavier motor that allows up to 19 Amps.... It would be nice if I could get a light setup at HC's prices, but I'm worried about it becoming too fast on the downlines.

So folks, what do you recommend? Here are the 4 choices that I've seen (I don't think anyone has actually reported using the Turnigy 2213 20turn 1050kv 19A Outrunner)

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLM1305

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5688

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2112

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...s_Motor_1000kv

What I'd like to know is... is the extra $35 plus tax worth it for the E-Flite Park 400/920 kv motor? If so, I'll stick with DaOldGuy's setup. I'm having trouble find the dubro long arms #936 at my lhs, but I'm assuming that anything similar should work.

Thanks again... Hope to get this bird flying soon.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:58 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,286 Posts
Quote:
What I'd like to know is... is the extra $35 plus tax worth it for the E-Flite Park 400/920 kv motor? If so, I'll stick with DaOldGuy's setup. I'm having trouble find the dubro long arms #936 at my lhs, but I'm assuming that anything similar should work.

Thanks again... Hope to get this bird flying soon.

Cheers,
Andrew
Hey Andrew,

You Also have the option of the RimFire recomended setup in the original review. I truely think <and little oak may back this> that this chassis is not meant to have heavy hardware. While this Performance Foam is nice and has some better quality then depron, it is still a depron type product.

Reguardless of your motor choice, weight is first and there are many motors you can choose in this general weight class that will work fine, as long as you dont have to stick a heavy lipo in to get performance you want. I bought all 3 of my Park 400 motors used and never gave more the 25 shipped each, so you can cut costs with a used motor.

Hobby City motors are not always consistant and their "stats" can be a little inflated.

Any long arm will work, and you dont need to use the farthest hole.
Ron