HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:44 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
Thanks for all the advice, I will order the Turnigy 8g or the Parkzone servo's and give them a try. I never had any centering issues with the HXT900's that I have noticed to date, but I will take your advice and switch. I have used them in all my planes and my heli. I have another build in the production line ahead of the Silo, so maybe another couple of weeks before she's up, cause I'll have to wait for the servo's to arrive.

All the best for 2010!
I think the 5 Grams are truely the bigger issue. I have been very lucky to catch the Futaba and HS servos very cheap posted on RCG and Feebay, I have loads of them, never paid retail.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:52 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I know most know this, but make sure to rotate the servo arm once the servo is centered as the spline line up differently as you rotate the arm. In a four-way usually at least on 90 degree rotation centers the arm.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:59 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
I know most know this, but make sure to rotate the servo arm once the servo is centered as the spline line up differently as you rotate the arm. In a four-way usually at least on 90 degree rotation centers the arm.
That is a great point on many levels. Some of the Generic Servos may not have the full sweep of movement.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:12 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
littleoak, how's that new build coming?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Hi, Been a while, it's sat on my bench waiting for me to get it done. I built a Hangar-9 Saratoga that I got for my 40th.... Been flying that, but I have it on the schedule for next week. Can't believe it's been 2months since I wrecked No.1. I need some Slow Fly. Here's a pic of my loading for the flying field last week.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Hi, Been a while, it's sat on my bench waiting for me to get it done. I built a Hangar-9 Saratoga that I got for my 40th.... Been flying that, but I have it on the schedule for next week. Can't believe it's been 2months since I wrecked No.1. I need some Slow Fly. Here's a pic of my loading for the flying field last week.
Saratoga looks great, your going to need a bigger van at this rate.
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
I got a new Silouette this week. It lasted 3 days. An elevator glitch esulted in it going in full bore, and it was totally destroyed, like an egg shell, it shattered.

And I didnt like the way it flies. Darty, and unpredictable in control. A tad away from being completely unforgiving.

Been flying RC for 12 years now, including foamie 3D's that do it all, but also fly well.

Pretty big disappointment with the Siloutte from Great Planes.

Also the same with a new (for me) Electrifly SE-5. It is darty as well, and flies on the prop instead of the wing, even with a 7 and 1/2 oz/sg ft wing loading. It flies more like a Spitfire monoplane, but not as well!

Happy Landings, Walt
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
Old Mar 05, 2010, 11:16 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
I got a new Silouette this week. It lasted 3 days. An elevator glitch esulted in it going in full bore, and it was totally destroyed, like an egg shell, it shattered.
Happy Landings, Walt
I would not be suprised if it was a failure of the Elevator Control Horn, there have been a few on this list with that damage. I caught mine failing during the installation or I too may have ended up meeting the Terra Firm.

I cant say I have had any "darty" behavior with mine, but I really like Expo and it could be masking that.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:21 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
715 Posts
I have to agree with DaOldGuy, my son and I both have Silhouttes and we find them the very opposite of darty. Actually rather slow to react and a very floaty feel while flying. On low rates it would make a very good 3D trainer. Using Futaba 3114 servos in ours. 4stroker, sad to hear about your loss.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:46 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
I have to agree with DaOldGuy, my son and I both have Silhouttes and we find them the very opposite of darty. Actually rather slow to react and a very floaty feel while flying. On low rates it would make a very good 3D trainer. Using Futaba 3114 servos in ours. 4stroker, sad to hear about your loss.
The only way I could see making the plane darty might be aft CG, too large motor and lipo <which could at to the elevator failure, or the control surfaces just too touchy. I have flown a lot of darty flat plate foamies, this thing is almost like it is on rails.

You are right FG, it will nearly knife edge on its own and hovers are near hands free. The control horns are a problem, the Canopy mod is a MUST DO, and a very light but taller set of tires for the ROG.
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I experienced no 'darty' behavior with mine, until I flew in a 20mph wind, and then it was a lawn dart on hand launch. But hands up, I take the full responsibility not the plane. She is a pleasure to fly, she is relatively fragile, but then she's a Depron plane, so to be expected, but she tracks better than EPP, and flys a pattern better. I learned how to 3D with my first one, so 80 flights seemed good for me. Note to self, I HAVE to build my new one..... Again sorry for your loss.

Those electrifly bipes can be a handful, but I have a Sopwith and a DR1 and both fly good, for WW1 replicas, you just don't need much throw, and dial in some expo. They look great in the air. The DR-1 always draws a number of onlookers. Tally Ho / Achtung
Old Mar 06, 2010, 01:39 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
I experienced no 'darty' behavior with mine, until I flew in a 20mph wind, and then it was a lawn dart on hand launch. But hands up, I take the full responsibility not the plane. She is a pleasure to fly, she is relatively fragile, but then she's a Depron plane, so to be expected, but she tracks better than EPP, and flys a pattern better. I learned how to 3D with my first one, so 80 flights seemed good for me. Note to self, I HAVE to build my new one..... Again sorry for your loss.

Those electrifly bipes can be a handful, but I have a Sopwith and a DR1 and both fly good, for WW1 replicas, you just don't need much throw, and dial in some expo. They look great in the air. The DR-1 always draws a number of onlookers. Tally Ho / Achtung
Cheers Littleoak, its been a while, you not built that plane yet? No worries, I have 3 half done planes on my table my self.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
OK so today I made a start on Silo No II. Ready for Rx, ESC and motor tomorrow. Fly Friday or weekend!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,246 Posts
Quote:
OK so today I made a start on Silo No II. Ready for Rx, ESC and motor tomorrow. Fly Friday or weekend!
Cheers guy, looks like you are ready to go again.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:54 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
I am going to use dubro long servo arms on ailerons this time. Also I have got smaller 1000mah packs. I have not decided whether to do the hatch mod yet, as I can mount these packs on edge on the inside of the fuse. If I do the hatch mod I have some foam left from the wreck that I will line the wing top with to give that some additional protection from pulling pack in and out. I will also only use 1cm wide velcro strip, as the 1" wide stuff grips too tight and resulted in damage over time pulling battery in and out. We will see how she goes this weekend at the latest.