Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
No wonder why they recommended such a small lipo. Smaller = lighter = farther forward placement. Hopefully this'll make it fly awesome. Raining over here, so can't fly untill tomorrow or monday.

Also, going to try to get some smaller lipos (~730-800 mah) for my fleet of ~14oz foamies, so I can use them on the silhouette
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:34 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
451 Posts
I have a 1000mah pack and it is back there, along with my reciever behind the pack I have the turnigy 2830 up front , but because I like spinners on my props, I've gotta counter balance it even more. But still better than adding more weight to balance! By the way guys, I finally did put my meter on that motor. Boy was I off! It was pulling 24 amps on fresh pack dropping quickly to 19 amps Good motor so far with about 30 flights on it. Barely warm after 10 minute flight! Still punches out like nobodys bussiness!

Mikeeee
vinmech is online now Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:38 AM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech View Post
I have a 1000mah pack and it is back there, along with my reciever behind the pack I have the turnigy 2830 up front , but because I like spinners on my props, I've gotta counter balance it even more. But still better than adding more weight to balance! By the way guys, I finally did put my meter on that motor. Boy was I off! It was pulling 24 amps on fresh pack dropping quickly to 19 amps Good motor so far with about 30 flights on it. Barely warm after 10 minute flight! Still punches out like nobodys bussiness!

Mikeeee
I fly the same motor Turn 28 30-b. I cooked one by flying too large of a prop. I was flying an 11x3.8, but it was pulling too many amps. Sounds like your at risk of cooking your's. That motor is only rated for 15A. I dropped to a 10x3.8 prop with no noticeable change in flight character, and since then no problems, however, I am hardly ever at WOT. Might be something for you to consider.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:26 AM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
I fly the same motor Turn 28 30-b. I cooked one by flying too large of a prop. I was flying an 11x3.8, but it was pulling too many amps. Sounds like your at risk of cooking your's. That motor is only rated for 15A. I dropped to a 10x3.8 prop with no noticeable change in flight character, and since then no problems, however, I am hardly ever at WOT. Might be something for you to consider.
Yeah, I know, read your post about that a while back. I have got much more than 30 flights on this motor now that I think about it, lol. This came outa the first Silhouette, which had probably 50 to 60 flights on it before it went and made a lawn dart out of itself! So you figure about 80 flights and a nose first crash, even if it half burns up, I have gotten my money's worth! These are what, 20 bucks a pop? I'll probably buy 2 more just for back-ups.
I hear what you are saying littleoak, and your right, next motor I will try the 10x4.7 and see if I can tell the difference.
But for know, beef up the firewall, get rid of the wood horns, and have a lotta fun punching out of the hover! These things are a hoot!

May you have many successful flights, Mikeeee
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Why would you get rid of the wooden horns? Was there a problem?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech View Post
next motor I will try the 10x4.7 and see if I can tell the difference.
But for know, beef up the firewall, get rid of the wood horns, and have a lotta fun punching out of the hover! These things are a hoot!

May you have many successful flights, Mikeeee
Yeh, I switched to a 10x3.8, which is lower load a 10x4.7 which would pull almost the same as an 11x3.8.

It's a great motor for this plane, maybe I got a bad one.... or you have a good one! $20, nope, only $10.49. I can go vertical till it's a dot in the sky then blender to the deck. Great flying plane.

Try and avoid the lawn dart, beef up the firewall with hot glue and wrap the front end in clear tape to hold everything solid. I have had no trouble with the wood horns, but a number on here have. I check them regular and no signs of them disintegrating, and I have 50 flights now.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^you might want to avoid hot glue, and use a small bead of CA. HG is too heavy
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
^you might want to avoid hot glue, and use a small bead of CA. HG is too heavy
CA didn't work for me, the motor mount kept working loose. But I have worked hard on my landings since then to keep them as gentle as possible. Best is to hover in in high alpha flight, skid touchdown first and then the fronts come down real gentle. I have given up worrying too much about weight, cause it can become an obsession. This plane flies just fine for me, and I fly it more like a lightweight balsa plane, rather than a shock flyer foamie. I also no longer fuss about the wind, I flew in 15mph steady gusting to 20mph and it was a blast,.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^That's not how you land a foamy!!!

You're supposed to hover land

Also, CA should hold fine, even medium CA. What brand of CA are you using?

(btw, i like my foamies to fly like foamies, thereore, lightweight is good )
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Guess I'm more used to pattern ships coming in at 15mph and rolling out for 15 yards.......

My CA is a good brand, don't get me wrong, I think if I had done it with CA when I built it then I may have been OK. But I did not, and I lost the motor and motor mount on a pretty easy landing. The front end was not in great shape so then I went with CA on the foam and hot glue seamed along the mount on the inside, and I taped the front end, as the thin depron type foam tries to flex and bow around the mount. It's a good tip for anyone reading whose just building to do something along these lines. Flying great now, back out there today before it gets dark, later......
Old Nov 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^Well, what brand of CA is it? Some brands aren't as good as others, as they don't penetrate the wood before curing.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:54 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Why would you get rid of the wooden horns? Was there a problem?
Yeah, my elevator horn delaminated in the middle, leaving basically the two outer layers for wire support. Did not notice it until I did a inverted blender
and it never flattened out On post crash inspection, elevator servo was working just fine, as well as everything else, no stripped gears, heck, it went straight in and didn't even break the prop!, and the elevator control wire at the z bend pulled straight outa the wooden horn! Ripped it right out! If I'd had another second or two to think about how to save it, I coulda done a knife edge possibly to pull out, but as they say, Hindsight is 20/20, that is why they don't make Butt glasses

Also, you guys talkin bout glues and stuff. I have found Rc56 to work really well at reinforcing the glue joints. The same stuff you use for glueing clear canopies on! After I aligned everything and spot Ca'd it, I would do the wing, tail feathers, firewall and all servo's with a bead of this stuff, kinda like caulking, and let it dry overnight. It goes on looking like elmers glue, but does not run. Then it dries clear (which is why they use it for canopy's!)
It seems to attach to this foam pretty good and it stays flexible, which is desirable with these foamies! I put a thin layer of this stuff on the bottom of wing tips for abrasion resistance!

Ok, nuff said, Mikeeee
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,164 Posts
I have heard many people say that Canopy glue is really a good product. I am with littleoak on the CA, even in Balsa planes, there is a place for CA and a place for other glues, firewalls fits the bill of "other". There is just too much vibration and shock, CA in going to cut loose over time.

HotGlue.... I am all about building light. Almost to the point of it being a sick obsession, Hotglue is only heavy if used in a "K-5" manner. I do find on this Pro Fomance Foam <it has an almost oily surface> you need to heat it a tad with the tip <low temp guns> before using hotglue or it doesn't have as good of bite.

Like the canopy glue, I like UHU Creativ <now UHU POR> for the foams that can be melted down by certain glues.

Just got done driving 12.5 hours.... If the about seems jibberish, well...
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^Lol

I myself have used hotglue, but after having a wing part ways on a 82*F day, no more for me. It softens in warmer weather (and is a PIA to remove not to mention it deforms the foam and ontop of that it's messy- even used conservatively).

I had started using ZAP Foam Safe CA, but after getting a couple bottles of it that eat foam, I wrote that off too (EPS, Depron and styrofoam included- kicker also melted the foam). I'm now sticking (pun intended) with BSI CA, as it cures on its own, doesn't yellow when lef in the sun, doesn't make a rediculously brittle joint, and costs about 1/2 that of other CAs, and a whole 1oz bottle of kicker can last me through 4 1/2oz bottles of CA

(plus having an unlimited supply of it at the LHS for so cheap together is a bargain)

Maiden for my silhouette will have to be tomorrow afternoon. It was blowin pretty hard over here this afternoon.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:46 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,164 Posts
New Motor

I just ordered a new Motor for the Silhouette, I have been seeing these adds for "get a free motor" on RCG, I am not sure anyone ever has, so I just ordered one up. They have modeled them selves after the Axi motor, which I do like a lot, when they are affordable.

3D 450 3S 12A/60S DL22A 10x3.8

This is the "L" version of their 2212/26 which will deliver 3D power for a plane up to 15.87 ounces at a 60 gram motor weight. This "should" be a tad more umph then my Park 400 920kv for the same weight.

Upside is 45 dollars delivered, it comes with the Radial Mount and X brace.

We will see how this goes.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Nov 30, 2009 at 08:18 AM.