HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:20 AM
Pilon_1
Kingsburg CA
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
This is my first 3D/sport electric, I am freeked out while I fly becaust my mind says this thing should be going allot more faster than it is to stay contolable! Still allot of fun to fly!
Pilon_1 is offline Find More Posts by Pilon_1
Last edited by Pilon_1; Nov 25, 2009 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:07 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon_1 View Post
This is my first 3D/sport electric, I am freeked out while I fly becaust my mind says this thing should be going allot more faster than it is to stay contolable! Still allot of fun to fly!
Yes...Isn't slow and controlled flight just the bomb?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:56 PM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
739 Posts
Excellent 3D trainer. Great water plane too. Close to 100 flights on mine.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
Pilon_1
Kingsburg CA
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
Kind of bridges the gap between my Slow Stik and Yardbird YB-22!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:43 AM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
One thing I found is that if you do the hatch mod, and mount your packs with velcro direct to the wing, try and keep the velcro away from the opening where the servo leads pass through. I found that over time the depron split with the constant removal of the battery pulling on the velcro strip. It's an easy fix with CA, but could have been avoided by careful placement of the velcro on the upper wing surface.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
One thing I found is that if you do the hatch mod, and mount your packs with velcro direct to the wing, try and keep the velcro away from the opening where the servo leads pass through. I found that over time the depron split with the constant removal of the battery pulling on the velcro strip. It's an easy fix with CA, but could have been avoided by careful placement of the velcro on the upper wing surface.
I think I may put a 2mm run of Depron across that area as a part of the canopy mod.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
St. Louis
Joined Jun 2009
55 Posts
Silhouette vs. Sniper

I have 2 Hyperion Sniper kits that I recently acquired. I've watched the flight video of the Silhouette and think I may prefer it to the Sniper. I can return the Snipers if I chose to.

Can anyone compare the two (Silhouette vs. Sniper) flight characteristics? If you only have experience with the Silhouette, what do you like about it most and what do you like least?
ldogg63 is offline Find More Posts by ldogg63
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldogg63 View Post
I have 2 Hyperion Sniper kits that I recently acquired. I've watched the flight video of the Silhouette and think I may prefer it to the Sniper. I can return the Snipers if I chose to.

Can anyone compare the two (Silhouette vs. Sniper) flight characteristics? If you only have experience with the Silhouette, what do you like about it most and what do you like least?
Can't talk to the sniper but the Silo is a great design. If you are looking for High Speed stuff, I don't think the Silo is your plane. If you want an indoor / outloor 3D / Pattern Aerobatics, nice knife edge, KE loops, good stall behavior it is very weel suited.

The Canopy mod and a few tweaks seems to be required.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
Pilon_1
Kingsburg CA
Joined Nov 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak View Post
On My hatch mod I made doublers around the openings and the one on the right side has a pad to mount the battey to on the fusalage side. My 800 packs fit great and just twits out with out stressing the airframe. There is a pic of it on one of my prevous posts.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:07 PM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
739 Posts
Silhouette canopy mod. Working inside the original battery compartment is very tight. Great Planes, are you paying attention.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:45 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Ok, finally decided to dig up a couple batteries for my silhouette, and try out the geared inrunner setup. With a GWS 10x6 prop, it feels like it'll have enough power to hover and harrier, but won't have a strong punchout (may go to a 10x4.7SF after initial testing).

15oz on the money too.

Oh, and I'm going to have to do the canopy mod. This canopy SUCKS!!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Okay, here's my mod. I just used a few lightweight sticks of stiff balsa wood, and a piece of depron to fill in where the canopy is supposed to go (since I lost mine).

Oh, AUW now = 15.2 oz, so I added about 5.6 grams

AND, better yet, I no longer have CG problems, so I should be able to get the full potential of the airframe now, and I've left myself some room to move the pack back incase I need it
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:24 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Oh, AUW now = 15.2 oz, so I added about 5.6 grams

AND, better yet, I no longer have CG problems, so I should be able to get the full potential of the airframe now, and I've left myself some room to move the pack back incase I need it
Your Lipos sets that far back to be have a good CG? How heavy is that inrunner and gear box?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy View Post
Your Lipos sets that far back to be have a good CG? How heavy is that inrunner and gear box?
65 grams with ESC prop washer and bolt. I think it's because of the lipos. They're a tad heavy
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:14 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy View Post
I need my lipo relatively far back also to get CG at around 108mm from leading edge. Any further forward and she really wants to nose up on a dive test from level trimmed flight. I guess the weight of the slightly larger motors way ahead of the COG need a relatively large movement back of the packs (which are near the COG) to put the COG where it needs to be. It's a balancing act.....
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
Last edited by littleoak; Nov 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM.