HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:58 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Houston, in the Great State of Texas
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Is this the Rudder Warp that was mentioned before?

I am going to start off with a piece of .5 x 3.0 mm CF strip along the bottom of the rudder and see how this goes. Sounds like they have a issue with that part.

I noticed many thing that are in the instructions that need done are already completed, like the rudder and elevator horn and little things.

The Wing fit very nice, I had read somewhere that the wing fit wasn't perfect, this was very nice.
My main wing fit was just fine also. My rudder is slightly warped, but I have not really noticed it in flight. Post a pick of your CF strip when you have it completed.
littleoak is offline Find More Posts by littleoak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:17 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
Here is the glued state. Thin bead of UHU, put it together, take it apart and let the 2 halves flash. Stick it on and tape it so match the CF.

I doubt that little bit would even be noticed in flight now, I am just worried it may continue to warp. Right now I have having twitch aileron servos, I got a feeling the mini esc is not able to handle 4 servos. I swapped RX's and same issue and it only happens on the channel with the Y cord to the 2 servos.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:45 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
Done.

It is all together, fine tunes and tweaks need to be done. AUW came in at 405.5 grams or 14.30359157 ounces. Rhino 3S750 as the lipo.

Had to install my Jeti 12 amp, the mini 10 amp did not have enough BEC to carry 4 servos. This also included the spinner which does give it a nice finished look. Rain Sat, Sunday it is supposed to be clear, might get to run her a spell and see if the power is enough with the Axi Motor.

Ron
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:52 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
I lucked out on a little weight, I took my oldest i3D <Black> BiPlane out of service a couple weeks ago and it had a couple parts for this one. the 17.6 gram Jeti 12 amp which in fact handled the 4 servos very well.

The i3D also had a pair of Futaba S3110 servos with the factor long wire leads so there was not servo extension needed for the tail servos.

At half throttle it picks up from my hand and lifts on its own, my 12 ounce Bipe is a little less then half, so it is near where I hoped on power.

I had to turn the throws down on the transmitter, this thing has serious throws. The elevator control horn <pre installed> had issue where the rod holes were lazered through, it was just crumbling. I moved back a little and drilled a new 1.5mm holes, then used a smidge of hot melt where the other holes had broken out to keep the ply layers together.

This is my first production Afr / kit foamie I have ever built, I must say it went together very well other then those couple items. I am not sure what I will do with the hatch mod.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
I lucked out on a little weight, I took my oldest i3D <Black> BiPlane out of service a couple weeks ago and it had a couple parts for this one. the 17.6 gram Jeti 12 amp which in fact handled the 4 servos very well.

The i3D also had a pair of Futaba S3110 servos with the factor long wire leads so there was not servo extension needed for the tail servos.

At half throttle it picks up from my hand and lifts on its own, my 12 ounce Bipe is a little less then half, so it is near where I hoped on power.

I had to turn the throws down on the transmitter, this thing has serious throws. The elevator control horn <pre installed> had issue where the rod holes were lazered through, it was just crumbling. I moved back a little and drilled a new 1.5mm holes, then used a smidge of hot melt where the other holes had broken out to keep the ply layers together.

This is my first production Afr / kit foamie I have ever built, I must say it went together very well other then those couple items. I am not sure what I will do with the hatch mod.
Nice job - looks all ready to go. Hope your weather fines up here. Beautiful here, dead calm and 65F this morning. Flew my aeroworks stingray (outstanding pattern sport flyer) and wattage tubby cubby (my 5yr old's plane). Silhouette is my weekday lunch flyer, that I leave at the office!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
Nice job - looks all ready to go. Hope your weather fines up here. Beautiful here, dead calm and 65F this morning. Flew my aeroworks stingray (outstanding pattern sport flyer) and wattage tubby cubby (my 5yr old's plane). Silhouette is my weekday lunch flyer, that I leave at the office!
Thanks... It looks like a maiden will happen around 8 am tomorrow
"Abundant sunshine. High 58F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph."

Start out early before the breeze kicks up. I was in Florida sunday, they had a 65 for a high Sunday, they thought hell froze over. I was happy with 65.

I just checked out a vid of that Stingray, that is a nice piece, looks like it is on rails, not a slow flyer.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Thanks... It looks like a maiden will happen around 8 am tomorrow
"Abundant sunshine. High 58F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph."

Start out early before the breeze kicks up. I was in Florida sunday, they had a 65 for a high Sunday, they thought hell froze over. I was happy with 65.

I just checked out a vid of that Stingray, that is a nice piece, looks like it is on rails, not a slow flyer.
Stingray not a slow flyer, eats up air space at a rapid pace, snaps faster than your eye can see. Good luck in the morning, sounds near perfect conditions. Silhouette handles a bit of wind wind nicely, it's a blast to harrier into the wind and just hang there.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:04 AM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Downers Grove
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Ron,

That is some detailed instructions for tweaks and fixes to this light little flyer.
Thank you very much, now when I get mine I will have her flying like a champ the first time she goes up.

v/r

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
I am not sure what the weather folks are talking about, 5-10 would be near half of what it is doing outside this morning. Maybe it will settle down a bit this afternoon.

That Stingray is a bit out of my speed range, as you said, on the video it snaps around so quick and smooth it was amazing.

John, being in Germany do they stock planes like these locally of do you have to get them shipped in? I got a break on mine for some reason, it was only 49.99, I see now they are back up to 59.99 again.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:16 PM
JDEmrick
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2009
12 Posts
Nice silohette, I had my maiden flight a few weeks ago w/ mine. I use a 2100 Lipo and it handles the wieght just fine. Although it took quite awhile to get off the ground. Very nice plane!!
JDEmrick is offline Find More Posts by JDEmrick
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:36 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEmrick
Nice silohette, I had my maiden flight a few weeks ago w/ mine. I use a 2100 Lipo and it handles the wieght just fine. Although it took quite awhile to get off the ground. Very nice plane!!
2S or 3S 2100?

Maiden Report
Just got back from the maiden, it was terror at the airport..... Just kiddin

I have a Rudder servo that seems to have an issue centering, I have to check to see what the problem is. The Axi 2208/34 can hover at half throttle, but it does not have the punch out I am used to, 2.3 ounces makes a difference, it was a great test though.

Flys very slow and floats in for a landing, I would say, even though I am on CG per the book, lipo is all the way forward, it was a tad tail heavy. I think I am going to toss the Eflite Park 450 920Kv on it, the addition 10 grams will allow the Lipo to move back a hair.

Other then 1 wheel pant breaking off per landing, <2> I have to say I expected that, It really handles very well, slows down very nice. I planned on a video of the maiden, but my video hands showed up too late.

2 Fights and the Hatch stayed on, more power, faster flying, might make a difference.

Edit
Rudder issue seems resolved, it is hard to tell from the picture, but where the Z bend goes through the wood rudder horn, it is binding since I have 3D servo arms, that are a little longer then recommended <more is better right?> and it was binding in the wood due to the angle.

Lowered the adjuster set 2 holes down on the servo arm, its all good.
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Oct 25, 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Rudder issue resolved
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
Great, glad you got it flying. Suggest you tape the hatch before each flight. When my hatch came off I was 200ft in the air doing a blender and the hatch is so light and there was a breeze, it ended up a hundred or more yard away away before it hit the ground, my buddy chased it, and it landed in a storm drain. I was lucky to get it back. Would not want this to happen and you not be able to find it. Since then I have done a hatch mod. I have regluded my wheel pants a number of time now. Used expoy last time, so we will see how they last. Hopefully fly tomorrow.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,069 Posts
I wasn't getting wild with it, prolly the only reason the hatch stayed. I will take your advice, have a little blenderm handy on that hatch.

I bench tested the Park 400 740 Kv is not going to cut it either, 113 Watts and 640 grams of thrust. I think I will need the Park 400 920KV from my glider, it is a 150 Watts. More testing tomorrow.

Ron
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:22 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
Great, glad you got it flying. Suggest you tape the hatch before each flight. When my hatch came off I was 200ft in the air doing a blender and the hatch is so light and there was a breeze, it ended up a hundred or more yard away away before it hit the ground, my buddy chased it, and it landed in a storm drain. I was lucky to get it back. Would not want this to happen and you not be able to find it. Since then I have done a hatch mod. I have regluded my wheel pants a number of time now. Used expoy last time, so we will see how they last. Hopefully fly tomorrow.
Just a FYI, watch how hard you do blenders with this plane or other foamies. I completely tore the front end up on this plane doing that. I was doing a WOT/violent blender and the motor mount ripped off. Before I even knew what happened the prop chewed up the front end.

Lucky I made it back to the field (was high up) with motor hanging and was able to repair it (frankenstein now).

Moral I learned was that they can't take the punishement that a good quality balsa plane can take!

Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2009
459 Posts
It was a moderate blender. With maybe about 1/4 throttle on the nose dive. I had the motor mount come loose on a landing, so I guess it's something to keep an eye on. Sorry to hear yours chewed up the front of the plane.