HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:37 AM
Sydney , Australia
Joined Sep 2006
43 Posts
Congradulations on your maiden flights , I have had my eye on this model for a while,wanting a Mustang with retracts ,the EP Phoenix P51 doesn't have retracts . I was waiting for someone to do an electric conversion of this model.Thanks for sharing your building experiences , I now feel confident in buying one.Happy Fying regards Rcmeca.
Rcmeca is offline Find More Posts by Rcmeca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:13 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Rcmeca,

I'm glad this thread has been useful for some one.

The build and conversion with this bird was pretty straight forward. The model is not the most scale looking P-51 out there but still looks damn good in air. Maybe a coat of mat varnish would help the ugly non-WWII warbird shine as well.

The pros of the model IMHO are

- Can be built light for its size (5.5-6 lb)
- Retracts (They are metal, easily adjusted and are quite durable)
- The build is easy and the conversion is straight forward
- Has good flight characteristics (not a trainer but neither a tip stall monster, goes where you point it)
- Looks really good in the air
- The quality of the kit was more than satisfatory but you might want to check the factory glue in critical points (read firewall)

Cons:

- Not very scale (I was particularly bothered by the thin ailerons spanning mostly the whole wing, and the tailwheel not being located where it actually should be)
- No flaps
- Dodgy looking pilot
- Dodgy looking wheels -I am not sure what they are called but the kit did not included the rectengular-like plaques that cover the LG wires.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your P-51 as much as I have been enjoying mine

Cheers,

GOK
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:39 PM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
It's nearly been a year since I've completed and started flying this model, and finally I have had a photographer friend take some beautiful in-flight photos of the model.

By the way, she is a fantastic flyer, the retracts are still hanging in there with no issues, haven't had any mishaps with this model and the power setup has proven to be just great for my sort of scale flying.

Enjoy the photos
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:54 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Nice looking plane GOK.
I've been looking at this one for a while now ..but was not sure,but after seeing your blog on this aircraft i'm a lot more closer to getting this plane.
Thanks again

Jeff
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:42 AM
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
wow - nice photos!
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:33 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Below is a link to a video of my P51.

Enjoy,

GOK

Gokcen's p-51 mustang (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by GOK; Jun 13, 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 03:28 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
793 Posts
This thread is very old and I hope someone flying one of these Mustangs is paying attention. I have a problem with the COG. The manual says the COG should be 105mm back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage. This appears to be wrong. As one will know with the Mustang there is a triangular section extending out the front of the wing at the fuselage. If I measure 105mm from where this triangular meets the fuselage and try a COG balance I have to put over 200 grams of lead behind the firewall. Should this 105mm be from a line of the leading edge of the main part of the wing extended to the fuselage? That being the case I have to put 140 grams of lead in the tail.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, KBH
Joined Aug 2009
76 Posts
I don't have this one but have a H9 40 size P-51 which is marginally larger than this and it balances @ 120mm measured at the wing root, so, 105 mm does not sound way off to me. I think you might consider to move the battery forward as seen in the previous posts.
ucarkus is offline Find More Posts by ucarkus
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
793 Posts
Thanks for that Ucarkus. It appears Phoenoix did change the design layout a bit as my wings are in two sections which bolt on from the side whereas the one in the photos bolt on in one piece from below. I have the battery as far forward as I can go without removing the motor box and rebuilding it. At 105mm it is nowhere near the 1/3rd rule of thumb position for the CoG. 140mm is closer. I think the triangular section of wing at the root confuses the matter. If I set up at 105mmm or even 120mm the plane feels very nose heavy. I am not willing at this stage to do a test flight until I am sure it is about right. By the way the difference in balance 105mm to 120mm will be quite noticeable. It does not sound much. I will do some more more tests and posts some photos.I might get someone who has a Pheonix P51 speak up.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
I have a very similar electric set up that came out of another air frame which i recently converted to glow. I was running the NTM 3546 900 kv which is rated at 810 watt output. I cant remember the exact specs but with a 13 x 8 apc prop it was delivering just above 700 watts on 4 cell. I have had my eye on this particular model for a while and have ordered one recently. I noticed that on the phoenix website the wingspan spec is slightly larger, perhaps they made a mistake or maybe its an improvement. The retracts look different too. Anyway, thanks for all your build tips im sure they will come in handy. Im looking forward to getting this bird up.
Dee Double You is offline Find More Posts by Dee Double You
Old Sep 08, 2013, 06:59 AM
Southern Darling Downs Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
148 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi , could anyone tell me if i could fit a OS65ax all up weight of 653g into a Phoenix Mustang P51 1420mm w/span ( PH068)ARF.... i have already removed the 3.5 oz of lead from behind the mounting box but have still to buy the motor... it is designed for a ..46 2stroke or. 52 4stroke ...... there is an overall weight difference of 77g from the .46 to the 65ax after factoring in the 3.5 oz of lead i removed. Is It tail heavy with an OS55ax? I am still in beginning of this build so any info would be greatfully appreciated... Regards Ken
Kennyglide is offline Find More Posts by Kennyglide
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:29 PM
Crazy about RC
Kuala Lumpur
Joined Mar 2009
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Thanks for that Ucarkus. It appears Phoenoix did change the design layout a bit as my wings are in two sections which bolt on from the side whereas the one in the photos bolt on in one piece from below. I have the battery as far forward as I can go without removing the motor box and rebuilding it. At 105mm it is nowhere near the 1/3rd rule of thumb position for the CoG. 140mm is closer. I think the triangular section of wing at the root confuses the matter. If I set up at 105mmm or even 120mm the plane feels very nose heavy. I am not willing at this stage to do a test flight until I am sure it is about right. By the way the difference in balance 105mm to 120mm will be quite noticeable. It does not sound much. I will do some more more tests and posts some photos.I might get someone who has a Pheonix P51 speak up.
Good day,

Watdazit,

I believed you have maidened your Mustang by now. Care to share your CG sweet spot for us here.. I am still a bit puzzled with the manufacturer's CG recommendation. It just doesn't look quite right. Between 130mm to 140mm looks right to me if measured from the leading edge wing root at the fuselage.

*Phoenix P51 owners- Please share your experience too.

Thanks in advance!
zulmr2 is offline Find More Posts by zulmr2