HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DanL, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Firing guns

Added a Top View for clarity (I hope...)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Warpd - your barrel design looks like it will definitely work.
And its in a scale gun - nice!

Note - with BP, cleaning is necessary pretty often. Allow foe easy loading and removal from model for barrel cleaning ( a mess).

We really have to find out if the electrical firing approach for rimfires will work without all the complex circuitry of the commercial/Olympic system.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:55 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
And its in a scale gun - nice!
Dan thanks... I haven't begun my ship yet, so I can incorporate things like removable deck plates at my guns for below deck access. Luckily, I only have 8 the 20 guns visible, so I don't need perfect scale on all of them.
Quote:
Note - with BP, cleaning is necessary pretty often. Allow foe easy loading and removal from model for barrel cleaning ( a mess).
As for the ablility to clean. There will be a bolt like your designs which will secure the cylinder and breech wall in place so that I can dissemble to load and clean.
Quote:
We really have to find out if the electrical firing approach for rimfires will work without all the complex circuitry of the commercial/Olympic system.
I hope so, otherwise alot of this design will have been for naught. I have a .5 Farad capacitor that I was thinking about using in front of the batteries to avoid drawing from them too hard.. I "think" that I'd be able to fire 10 blanks simultaneously in a true broadside with the Cap in place and not hurt it, so a rolling broadside "should" be no problem on draw.
WarpdSpazm is offline Find More Posts by WarpdSpazm
Last edited by WarpdSpazm; Jan 05, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm View Post
Do you know how many grains are in the BP blanks?
Can't find the BP load in the blanks listed anywhere.
But did find a link with a very low price: $6.60 for 50, or about 13 cents each.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65134-5.html

So one nine-gun broadside would cost about $1.17. Hmmmm....maybe roll-your-owns isn't so bad.....
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:07 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
How much were you spending on the current guns? For me, the consistency and ease of loading and then simply disposing of the blanks seems to be worth it...in the grand scheme of a $5,000+ Ship anyway!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:58 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
spending 10$ on an outing for a lot of bang and smoke seems pretty good to me i currently convert about 4$ wort of fuel into 8mins of smoke noise and heli flight
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:03 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
MB,
I remember my days of flying... $25 or more for a gallon of nitro does have a way of numbing the cost of things... Since I wouldn't fire the guns EVERY time I sail, the premium for the convenience doesn't seem like much.... I do understand that's not the case for everyone.

my gunsmith did say we "should" be able to pack spent casings ourselves, much like is done now and we "should" be able to get the electrode to fire those as well... Something else for Dan to test being the only one that can source the blanks... "legally"
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
A buck-a-broadside is nothing.....just tossed in an off hand comment....
I really hope the 22's work out - mostly for the promise of successful multi-shot in a wet environment.
UPS indicates delivery of the BP 22's next Wed. Already have a test gun - used for RC tank gun testing - that should work to test the 22's.

warpd - check the link posted a couple posts back - they have a blank to fill in any location and it will check if they ship there. I checked NJ and cities around NYC, and all are OK. Why not ship to a friend just outside the city? Funny - up here in "God's country" we have to wear blaze orange when we walk the dogs (or get the mail, etc) during hunting seasons.
Last edited by DanL; Jan 06, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Dan,
To order a given caliber, you're supposed to "have" a weapon that uses that round. May or may not apply to blanks outside the city as I don't know if a person would have to register a starter pistol - those have to be here in the city!

That would still leave me an issue if I was be on a lake and "in possession" of the blanks. This of course requires a series of events from, first, me firing the guns all the way through to a ranger or officer being in the area, seeing the ship and then caring enough to inquire. and then finally (and this is the part the gunsmith says is unlikely) the officer would need to know I need a license to have the blanks. So yes, I could likely do as you suggest and then play on happily for years with no issue. I would first want to know what the fine/jail time would be when Murphy enacts his wonderful law upon me.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Firing guns

22 blanks likely to be delivered today. pics and or video of a test gun by weekend if I get some spare time...

first questions to answer:

recoil? too much is bad
amount of smoke? more the better
will rimfire fire electrically? need to experiment
will proposed gun design handle the pressure/concussion? TBD
will spent casing extract easily? TBD
will blank eject anything that harms model? will fire into close range cardboard

Any other questions????
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:49 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
oooh oooh ooh delievry!

Wait... 22? Thought it was a box of 50? =)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Firing Guns

Here's the info on the 22's:

$8.95 for 50, from Gundogsupply.com, +$5.95 shipping. Total $14.90, or about 30 cents each. Available cheaper ($6.60) on Cheaperthandirt.com.
Shipping cost would be minimized witha bigger order.
The box is so small.....
there's a mean looking wad of cardboard sealing the cartridge. I'm thinking potential to damage a model...not good.

Dimensions and picture attached.

Note that diameter varied from 0.223 to 0.226" - variable out-of-round.

1/8" sch 40 pipe has an ID of 0.269" and 9/32 brass tube has an ID of 0.253".
Both will be tested for fit. My test gun has a 1/4 brass barrel (ID= 0.222"), but the 22 won't fit into that diameter - go figure....

More later...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Firing Guns

What a joke - no, not Newt in NH, but the 22 cal BP blanks....

Waste of money and time. I popped off 5 or 6 and there is but a wisp of smoke and a mild pop. The smoke is way below the amount necessary for outdoor display. Couldn't get them to fire electrically with up to 12V applied right at teh rim, but they are very easy to fire mechanically (very slight tap on a steel rod on the rim.) Anyway, the 22 approach doesn't come close to my minimum smoke rqmnt.

BUT...the multifire mechanism ideas discussed here can work with hand load BP cartridges similar to what Ray and I use now. They don't give a big bang, but do produce plenty of smoke.

So, I'll keep going down the multi-fire design shown in previous posts, but adapted to the cartridge approach currently used.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
159 Posts
danl, those cannon designs remind me of an experimental breech mechanism I tried for model warship combat. How completely do the hand-made bp cartridges burn? If there's nothing or almost nothing left, you may be able to use a modified version of the sliding breech to fit much more than 5 rounds per gun.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jan 2005
125 Posts
Dan,
That's really disappointing. I'm quite surprised after reading the info on gundog - "The Winchester "Short" .22's are the loudest of the three .22 blanks that we sell.

They are a black powder blank and will require more regular cleaning of your Blank Starter Pistol. They also produce a brighter flash and more "smoke". - Steve"

I really wonder what that's in comparison to then?

Do the casings look reusable after you fired them off?