SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2009, 07:20 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Build Log
48" Divinity II Build***Now with Proof of flight video***

Good morning everyone,

I began my Divinity wing last evening and have completed, both wing halves. Today I will install the Carbon spar and add other details. The Divinity II ing uses my KFm6 airfoil as used on my other wing "Tribal" with slight enhancements. My aim with Divinity II is to take what I learned with the original and to take it one or two steps further. I hope to offer Divinity II as an optional AP/Video platform and still be able to maintain moderate performance. Lastly, I hope to put wind as a thing of the past.

Below you will see a few pictures showing each wing halves, one of them placed together and another with tempory elevon to give a few details.

Questions are always welcome; answers will be given, when time allows, so please be patient.

More work to do today and family matters, so Divinity II will have to wait until this afternoon.

***EDIT*** ***EDIT***

Electronics for Divinity II

When I first built Divinity II, I used what I had on hand and as can be seen in the proof of flight video worked ok. But for those wanting to go for more gusto, or carry camera equiptment, here are my suggestions.

Motor: E-Flite park 370-480 type motors or stronger, just watch your weight or you will be adding to the nose.

Battery: Though I have flown with smaller packs, you can see in the proof of flight video I had to add weight to the nose, I would suggest RHINO 1050mah 3s packs or higher to bring the cOg into the sweet spot.

ESC: Be sure to use appropriate amp rating here, for what ever motor/battery combination you choose. 20+ amp rating is reccomended.

Servos: Here, I used the old reliable JR types presicely the JRPS185 along with flex rods by Dubro.

Control horns and clevises: Full size, like those used on 40 sized nitro burners.

One thing not shown in the plans is the winglets, these are made from coroplast. purchased from walmart, staples office supply outlets and so on and are used in sign making, ei....for sale signs, Simply cut what ever pattern you like with one exception. Be sure the extend 1.5 inches above and below the wig tip and all the way back to the trailing edge of your elevon. These help protect or control surfaces in case of mishap or hard landing.

Hinging: Here, I used blenderm tape. The clear, rubbery bandage tape.

***MOST IMPORTANT**** Starting COG is 7-1/2 inches from the tip of the nose. Control surfaces should be set at 50% and 100% if using dual rates.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Divinity II plans in DWG, DXF, corel draw and other formats can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post13076843

I hope you all enjoy!!! And please, my only request is you post pics, video and or comments about your build as well as electronics used. Pros and cons would be nice too!!!

EDIT****************************

Divinity flies, no matter what size!!!!!! Check this out!!!!!

SPADFEST BlownUpDivinity giant rc gas foamy (4 min 1 sec)

Thankyou,

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Dec 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Plans added
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2009, 09:08 AM
N.C.---Go Heels
Joined Oct 2004
104 Posts
WOW....that does look good !!....thank's apachepilot ...just built the divinity...already my favorite wing !!....cain't wait to see D2.
kudzoo is offline Find More Posts by kudzoo
Old May 12, 2009, 09:14 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzoo
WOW....that does look good !!....thank's apachepilot ...just built the divinity...already my favorite wing !!....cain't wait to see D2.

Thanks kudzoo,

Divinity II is a 48" wing. KFm6 build using slightly different methods of building. I still use the foamboard from dollartree and walmart. My object is to build easy, fast and cheap yet have great performance.

Stay tuned.....

ApachePilot
Old May 12, 2009, 10:14 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
"Tuned in"
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old May 12, 2009, 10:23 AM
Joined Dec 2005
25 Posts
I knew all those extra sheets of dollar tree foam I bought would come in handy
square peg is offline Find More Posts by square peg
Old May 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
A small update:

Basic airframe finished and weighed... Dry weight comes in at 6.0 ounces even on calibrated postal scale. I will add another ounce to airframe by the time it is finished and ready for electronics.

Below tells the story:

My initial goal was to achieve a AP/Vid platform averaging 20 ounces. I might be within range.....

ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; May 12, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,184 Posts
ApachePilot... you're an artist. This build has a very sculptured look to it. The lines are beautiful and graceful. Very nice work indeed.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old May 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Agreed. This wing is beautiful!
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old May 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
OK,

Other than a few small peices Divinity II is ready for electronics installation.
I'll begin this tonight after American Idol. (yep, family time)...
I will add bits of color after the maiden, as well as add camera equiptment.
Below, you will find a few pics taken later today before the wife and I did a little fishing. Divinity II is coming along nicely and weight is within set parameters.

ApachePilot
Old May 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
What type of power system are you planning to use on this?
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 13, 2009, 08:27 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
I git a little further last night after American Idol, but then the Red Wings hockey came on...

Anyways, electronics install went in without a hitch, I just need to mount the motor and charge the battery before I maiden her.

Divinity II will be weighed in a bit to give a AUW without camera.

I hope to get a maiden in this afternoon dependent on the weather situation, forecast calls for rain.

Dick, thankyou sir...but I am not done yet...

Power plant question:
I ahev a few little motors I will be trying so I cannot give an accurate answer at this time. When I find the right motor, you all will know.

A few pictures for your viewing pleaseure...

Thankyou,

ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; May 13, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
ok,

Heading out to get Divinity II weighed at the post....I still haven't mounted the motor, but will have it weighed on the model as well to get a AUW without camera gear. I will post findings here as soon as I return.

ApachePilot
Old May 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
This looks very good. I like it.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old May 13, 2009, 04:18 PM
Radio Up Flyboy!
Oregon, USA
Joined May 2002
234 Posts
KFm6 - Parameters

ApachePilot,
Would you please post your KFm6 (9%-6%-3%) at (50%c-75%c) specs? I am courous about the total Airfoil thickness with both Top & Bottom steps. example: at the 50% chord position, at 9% - the effective airfoil thickness is 18%.

In your observations, how different are the flight characteristics between a KFm3 and the KFm6? My thoughts were to Combine a Top KFm3 with a Bottom KFM1 (single step @ 40%). Are your KFM3 steps 3% apart (9%-6%-3%)?

Thanks,

Flynfrog
flynfrog is offline Find More Posts by flynfrog
Old May 13, 2009, 06:07 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrog
ApachePilot,
Would you please post your KFm6 (9%-6%-3%) at (50%c-75%c) specs? I am courous about the total Airfoil thickness with both Top & Bottom steps. example: at the 50% chord position, at 9% - the effective airfoil thickness is 18%.

In your observations, how different are the flight characteristics between a KFm3 and the KFm6? My thoughts were to Combine a Top KFm3 with a Bottom KFM1 (single step @ 40%). Are your KFM3 steps 3% apart (9%-6%-3%)?

Thanks,

Flynfrog

Flynfrog,

Pardon me for my ignorance.... But here is how I know how to hopefully answer your questions.

All of my KFm6 airfoils are built as follows.

Example:
Root chord is measured at 16", tip chord is measured at 6".
My steps would be place @ 50%; ei,first step would extend from LE to 8" at root and 3" at tip. My final top and bottom steps would extend from my LE to 4" at root and 1.5" at tip, or at 25% of chord.

Differences in KFm3 and KFm6 airfoils....

Other than the obvious, my initial findings are:

KFm3- Lighter, higher lift, great for slow flight, great stability.
KFm6- Heavier, faster, more manueverable, less stability, though alright for a second or third plane/wing.

I am still testing different variations and will report my findings. I thank you for your questions and hope that I have been able to answer them.

ApachePilot