HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2009, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
New Product
Eagle Eyes Ground Station: Antenna Tracking, Diversity, Telemetry, distribution

Eagle Tree is pleased to announce our new EagleEyes FPV Station.

The EagleEyes provides all of the following features:

* Receiver Diversity - when you connect two NTSC or PAL audio/video receivers (of any frequency), the EagleEyesTM picks the better signal at any given time, which can greatly reduce video fades and improve your FPV experience! A variety of diversity settings are configurable with the on-board switches and LED indicators.
* Antenna Tracking - when coupled with our OSD Pro, the EagleEyesTM is the heart of a full-featured pan/tilt antenna tracker. Powerful, easy to use PC software and on-screen menus are provided for adjusting the EagleEyesTM to work flawlessly with the tracker of your choice. The built-in regulator drives even large pan/tilt servos, with no need for an external BEC. ReadyMadeRC.com produces a low cost, high quality tracker.

* Telemetry - When coupled with our OSD Pro, all Eagle Tree data (not just GPS position) are transmitted to your laptop, via your video transmitter and the EagleEyesTM USB port (separate USB cable required). Your flight can then be graphed and displayed with our powerful software, or visualized (either in real time or after your flight) with Google Earth! Note that Eagle Tree embeds the telemetry in the video, rather than the audio. This provides much greater data bandwidth, and is generally more reliable than audio telemetry. And, it frees up your transmitters audio channel for microphone and voice alerts.
* Four Channel A/V Distribution - Ever wish you had more video/audio outputs? The EagleEyesTM has four built-in outputs!
* Programmable Low Voltage Alarm - How is your ground station battery doing? Now you can program a low voltage alarm buzzer, which alerts you when your battery is below your chosen voltage. The buzzer can also be programmed to alert for other conditions, such as poor telemetry signal.
* New! PowerPanel LCD Display - Now you can plug our PowerPanel LCD directly into the EagleEyes, for real-time GPS position display, with additional display features coming soon. With the LCD, the last known GPS position is remembered and displayed, in case you lose contact with your model. The PowerPanel mounts under the EE's clear plastic case.

Note that the EagleEyes works standalone (without an OSD) for Diversity, A/V Distribution, and low battery alarm functions. The OSD Pro airborne system is required for the Antenna Tracking and Telemetry features.

All known antenna pan/tilt tracking mounts are supported.

Here is a video demonstration of the tracking function of the EagleEyes FPV Station, with the ReadyMadeRC.com pan/tilt tracker.

EagleEyes Pan/Tilt tracking demo (2 min 10 sec)

Antenna Tracker Pan & Tilt / AT Pro-1000 Demo (3 min 16 sec)

Here are the specifications:

* Two video inputs -NTSC/PAL, using your video receivers of any frequency. Video Input 2 is adjustable to match Video Input 1. Note that only one input needs to be used, if you are not using the Diversity feature.
* Two audio inputs - Two monaural audio inputs are supported. Audio Input 2 is adjustable to match Audio Input 1. Note that only one input needs to be used, if you are not using the Diversity feature.
* Four A/V outputs - Four video outputs (75 ohm) and four "line level" audio outputs
* Power Input - Power input range approximately 6V to 14V. Barrel style power input with standard 2mm center pin.
* Two Servo Outputs for pan and tilt trackers - Unit is capabable of delivering 5A burst output to drive even large pan/tilt servos.
* USB Port for connecting to PC, for live PC display of telemetry and firmware update. Note: A standard USB "Mini-B" cable is required for these features, but not included.
*Case Included - The EagleEyes now includes a clear plastic case. The case can be used with or without the top portion. The bottom portion includes "screw bosses" for rigidly mounting the EagleEyes to your ground station or tracker, and the top portion includes an internal snap mount for the PowerPanel LCD.

Here is a video demonstrating the EagleEyes telemetry connected to a notebook PC, running the included software. Note that the display of flight video requires a video capture device on your PC, of course.

EagleEyes FPV Station Telemetry demonstration (0 min 50 sec)

"OK, I want one!"

See your favorite dealer or click here for more ordering information.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; May 16, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2009, 03:04 PM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,536 Posts
Sounds like a capitol idea!
So, "secret signals" in the blanking interval?
Blue Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue Sky
Old May 11, 2009, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
If you build it I will buy it. I think an entire system that is integrated and talks to one another is a great idea.

I would like to have two video and two audio outputs, one set for goggles and another set for a recorder, this is what the oracle has and I use both this way. Mono audio is fine by me on each receiver input.

And well, you might want to consider building the device which will perform the motions of the tracking as well, for us to mount our patch antennas on.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old May 11, 2009, 03:45 PM View Post
ssassen
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). Show it to me anyway.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,904 Posts
Hi Bill,
I think that this is a awesome idea,and for that price u will sell allot of them
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old May 11, 2009, 04:06 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
Well, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but we've had this (antenna tracking) for quite some time now (we introduced it months ago), and are currently selling it, so Eagle Tree didn't come up with this idea, they're simply copying ours, which happens to all good ideas I guess.

Cheers,

Sander (for ImmersionRC)

Hey Sander,
Well maybe u had the idea before ET but i don't think u came up with it first??
and what about the OSD did u come up with this first and every one copied you?? i think not well i guess this is what computation does to some people
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old May 11, 2009, 04:22 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Bill,

The antenna tracking sounds like a great idea. What other data can you send in the "secret" area of the video signal?

Tim
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Well, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but we've had this (antenna tracking) for quite some time now (we introduced it months ago), and are currently selling it, so Eagle Tree didn't come up with this idea, they're simply copying ours, which happens to all good ideas I guess.

Cheers,

Sander (for ImmersionRC)
I've had my homemade antenna tracker working before you started writing about yours on RCG and so have many others. This is nothing new and has been high on the list of products that the FPV community wants. I don't think you can claim to be the one whom came up with this idea
I certainly read about it elsewhere before you got into it.

The problem with mine is that is uses very expensive components that I get donated at work, so it's not a viable solution for others to copy.

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old May 11, 2009, 04:50 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
Count me in also...

what's the trade in value my new/un-used Eagletree OSD? I'de like to go Pro at a reasonable price.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old May 11, 2009, 04:57 PM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
I'd buy one as well.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old May 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
I would buy also one device.
I have already the oracle, but an device with including antenna tracking would be great.

I am also for 2 video and audio outputs.
stereo is no so important, but would be cool, for stereo transmitters, where on the left channel the mic sound and on the other sound the variometer sound will be sent.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old May 11, 2009, 05:53 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
754 Posts
Amplified audio at the ground station will be helpful for those not wanting to wear ear/head phones.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1400mm FMS T28
Old May 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Hello!

This thread is spawned from another discussion occuring on our OSD-Pro thread.

What we are discussing is a ground based unit that provides the following:

* AV receiver diversity - you connect two video receivers to it, and it picks the better one and outputs the better signal.
* Antenna Tracking - when used with our OSD Pro, "secret signals" are sent from the plane via your Video TX, which are interpreted by the ground unit, and drive pan and tilt servos.

The reason we're considering combining these two features is that there is a lot of hardware and firmware overlap between them, and big cost savings would follow.

Here are some specifications for discussion:

* Two video inputs - these are simply NTSC/PAL composite inputs, meaning that you connect your own video receiver(s) to the unit
* Two audio inputs (does anyone need stereo, or is mono sufficient?)
* One video and one audio output (again, mono or stereo?)
* Outputs for pan and tilt servos
* various buttons and LEDs for configuration/status
* Port for connecting to PC, for live PC display of telemetry and firmware update
* Soft adjustment of video and audio levels, for matching (just like we do with audio with the OSD-Pro)
* If you already have (or don't need) the diversity feature, antenna tracking will still work via one video input
* Likewise, if you want only diversity, and don't want antenna tracking, no need to use thetracking.
* Price guestimate: $50 - $70 depending on feature set

Regarding the actual antenna pan/tilt mechanism, I suspect we would solicit drawings for this, and provide those drawings for home building. And/or, maybe a third party can design and sell a pan/tilt mechanism that works with particular patch antennas.

We'd really appreciate your feedback on this!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
I like your starting config outlined above, so here are my 2-cents:
- mono audio is sufficient since most of the vtx's we use currently support only a single audio channel. if possible, please treat audio input similar to video input so that even though you might not be assessing the "quality" of each input and choosing the best, you most certainly need to insure that at least one of the audio inputs is working....so if we lost the audio signal from one rx you would still pass the audio along from the other rx
- you need at least two separate video AND audio outputs (in addition to the one you suggested for the pc), so that we can continue to hook up our goggles PLUS recording devices like dvr, camcorder, mpvr, etc. Personally i dont care for the thought of lugging a pc to the field, but your suggested config above should accommodate those who wish to do so.

Looks like you are on the right track by soliciting input from this group Thx.
Regards,
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old May 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,

Sander (for ImmersionRC)
Hmmm...."don't mean to hijack this thread".....looks like that is exactly what you meant to do.....and did.
BTW: you certainly have already delivered your solution, but you actually didn't "come up" with the idea either.....many have suggested or "wished" for this capability and several have implemented their own "home-made" version. I'm not trying to detract anything from your version and we applaud your ingenuity and marketing prowess, and we are appreciative for all of IRC's FPV solutions.

So now, please let ET have their shot.....I dont recall them hijacking any of your "EZxxx" threads.

Regards,
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old May 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,682 Posts
Bill, At $50 to $70 for diversity switching and antenna tracking, I'm thinking this will be very popular.
There are pan/tilt systems available that should work well. How about this one from servo city:
http://servocity.com/html/spt200_pan___tilt_system.html
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM