HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Question
Power supply for DC charger?

I've been looking for a dual input, A/C and D/C, lipo charger without much luck. I did stumble across a Vista X-RD 12v power supply in my barn today. It has 13.8v dc output at 10amps with 1% regulation. Can you run a D/C lipo charger off this type of power supply? Or do you have to have a lead acid battery and an AC charger? I hate having to use a car to charge batteries.
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2009, 04:08 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
That power supply should work fine for chargers up to about 100 watts output. If you need more power you can buy a deep cycle RV battery then connect the power supply and charger to the battery at the same time. Some people even use a 13.8 volt power supply for lead acid battery charging.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old May 10, 2009, 07:47 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
That power supply should work fine for chargers up to about 100 watts output. If you need more power you can buy a deep cycle RV battery then connect the power supply and charger to the battery at the same time. Some people even use a 13.8 volt power supply for lead acid battery charging.
I'm trying to avoid the battery on the workbench. They have a tendency to freeze and crack in the winter. Makes a huge mess. For my little 3S 1100ma batteries, do you think I can run just the power supply?
Thanks, Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old May 10, 2009, 07:50 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep
For my little 3S 1100ma batteries, do you think I can run just the power supply?
For chargers up to about 100 watts output power, yes.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old May 11, 2009, 06:32 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2005
796 Posts
For your batteries, charging at 1C you need only appr 15-20 Watt from the supply.
Btw: Bantam BC6 is a nice AC/DC charger!
jooNorway is offline Find More Posts by jooNorway
Old May 11, 2009, 08:18 AM
I AM Smiling
Joined Dec 2007
373 Posts
I have the BANTAM BC6 AC/DC charger and the ACCU-CYCLE AC/DC chargers for home use. In the field, I use a 400 amp booster starter battery (Husky from Home Depot. It comes with a wall wart charger and has a light and Cigarette lighter outlet in addition to the booster cables.) I use a BANTAM BC6-10 (DC only) charger in the field.

The ACCU-CYCLE is from Tower Hobbies and will charge 2 batteries at once but only goes up to 3-cell Lipo's. The Bantam's will charge up to 6-cell batteries and can also balance and charge at the same time.
DeadStick Dave is offline Find More Posts by DeadStick Dave
Old May 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
United States, IL, Lockport
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep
I've been looking for a dual input, A/C and D/C, lipo charger without much luck. I did stumble across a Vista X-RD 12v power supply in my barn today. It has 13.8v dc output at 10amps with 1% regulation. Can you run a D/C lipo charger off this type of power supply? Or do you have to have a lead acid battery and an AC charger? I hate having to use a car to charge batteries.

I'm curious on this myself.. I have a schumacher battery companion
6 volt/12volt 1.5A slow charge battery charger/maintainer model WM-1562A.

I'm curious if this charger will work with charging lipo batteries using a lipo balancer with gator clips.. Would this be safe or should I not even try this setup?

Thanks..
terrorsound is offline Find More Posts by terrorsound
Old May 12, 2009, 04:10 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2005
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorsound
I'm curious if this charger will work with charging lipo batteries using a lipo balancer with gator clips.. Would this be safe or should I not even try this setup?

Thanks..
If you say you would like to charge LiPoes using a charger not meant for LiPo the answer is NO NO NO. Flying Jeep would like to use a supply to power his LiPo-charger. Please don`t use a non LiPo-charger.
jooNorway is offline Find More Posts by jooNorway
Old May 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooNorway
If you say you would like to charge LiPoes using a charger not meant for LiPo the answer is NO NO NO. Flying Jeep would like to use a supply to power his LiPo-charger. Please don`t use a non LiPo-charger.
Unless you use the 'Dapter. They work fine. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 14, 2009, 12:46 AM
United States, IL, Lockport
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
I talked to a few RC guys locally and they said as long as the schumacher power supply is connected to the 3 cell lipo charger\balancer I should be ok. I'm still going to get a power supply designed for RC, this power supply is only temporary.

Thanks for the replies everyone..
terrorsound is offline Find More Posts by terrorsound
Old May 14, 2009, 03:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
That power supply may not be able to deliver the amount of current needed for charging. Give it a try and see but get the "right-stuff."
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn