Old May 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Build Log
YogiRaw's FSD Segway Buildy Logy

http://www.futureslopedesigns.com/Segway.html

Curious as to how this small bird will fly. Has good roll rate. Great vid of it available. Though I have been watching Paige's gliders for a while, this will be my first building/flying of one.
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
It's the best day ever!
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Spackle

The DVD instructs to spackle the entire wing. How come this protocol isn't the norm for EPP ships? This will be my first time using spackle.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:54 AM
It's the best day ever!
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Wings mated, spars glued, spackled, drying overnight.

I didn't keep my glue gun cool enough so it slightly melted the foam in spar slots, so they needed extra spackle. Go ahead and invest in a good/great glue gun for this project which I apparently didn't yet. I used vinyl gloves and wore a good 3m respirator for the glueing and spackling. I figure spackle is like glass to the skin, not good. Will also be just as particular if not more when I sand it next.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:18 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
He's back! Where you been feller?
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old May 10, 2009, 06:54 AM
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiraw
I didn't keep my glue gun cool enough so it slightly melted the foam in spar slots...
I prefer Goop with an overnight cure for the wing spars. Ensures a good bond on the bottom and both sides. Still need to spackle with the rest of the wing.

The short connector spars on the bottom of the wing will go in with hot glue without any issues.
Frank Jarratt is offline Find More Posts by Frank Jarratt
Old May 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Yogi...

Thanks for posting the build log. It was about time someone did.

The Spackle is important (at least to me) for two reasons. One is purely aesthetic because I never liked the way cover looked over raw foam. The other is to give the smoothest surface possible. I do think it effects the flow of air over the wing. Remember that you are sanding off nearly 90% of the Spackle. There are times when I will apply a thinner second coat to get the ultimate smooth finish.

I prefer a glue gun as opposed to Goop because of speed. I know that some have claimed that the hot glue does not hold up in cold weather. This may be true for some. However, I haven't had that problem. An inexpensive duel temperature glue gun can be purchased at ACE Hardware. Be sure to get the proper duel temperature glue sticks.

Thanks again for the build thread. I will step back and watch. What do you think of the DVD? Do you think it is better than written instructions? Just curious.

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD
The Spackle is important (at least to me) for two reasons. One is purely aesthetic because I never liked the way cover looked over raw foam. The other is to give the smoothest surface possible. I do think it effects the flow of air over the wing.
Ever wonder why a golf ball has dimples?

To be honest, I can't say whether fuselages and wings benefit for the same reason, but I've never worried about the slightly bumpy surface I end up with when I apply film over bare foam and my planes seem to fly as well or better than the spackled ones.

Pete (who believes in the concept of "to each his own")
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old May 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
LOL Pete....You make a good point. In fact the whole "turbulation" (sp) thing is hotly debated. It just goes to show that things that appear on the surface as intuitive are not always so.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
757 Posts
Ever try to cover a golf ball with ultracoat?
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old May 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Golf balls! Great aero because of the dimples.

And phaser bottomed surfboards to a lesser degree.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old May 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,154 Posts
I remember back in the day when some guys painted their planes with a rough bumpy spatter type paint, thinking it made them fly better.

I didnt try it cause I just didnt like the look, but they seemed to fly OK from what I remember.

Looking forward to the rest of your build thread Yogi, thanks for doing it.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old May 10, 2009, 08:33 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Robert
Ever try to cover a golf ball with ultracoat?
No, but I did cover a tennis ball with Solartex. They said it could be done so I had to try it, of course.

Not sure how fluid dynamics relates to aerodynamics, but Hondo Boats experimented with a shark skin surface on the bottom of a few flat bottoms back in the mid-70s. It substantially improved their performance, but they never figured out how to make it economically feasible.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Last edited by PGR; May 10, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:21 PM
It's the best day ever!
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD
What do you think of the DVD? Do you think it is better than written instructions? Just curious.

-Paige

Absolutely. I have used Mac's video editing/DVD making as well and I like it. The only thing I would improve is to see if you can cut out the transition time when going from chapter to menu. It takes like 10 seconds. I want instant. There may be a "skip animated transition" button that I don't know about.

Will commence with build tomorrow. Busy today.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:48 PM
It's the best day ever!
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_editor
He's back! Where you been feller?
Moved, promoted, busy, but finally back to building and flying, just in time for great sloping spring and summer time!
Old May 11, 2009, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
So I'm also building a Segway from FSD,
I've just started to use goop on the fuse (which I've never used before) so its an interesting process.

I decided to use the 'new stuff' on the wings. Screw spackle I say I tacked the wings together with 5 minute epoxy, then used 30 minute to put in the two spars. After that, I made sure my electronics fit in the wings. I've made the mistake of not checking that before

Once that was done, I took the servo's out, and layed an entire piece of laminating film over the top, trimed it closely, and used some 3m77 spray on the wing first, let it try for 2 mins, then put it down. Then ironed it on, perfect! The entire top of the wing is one piece of film, and I'll do the same for the bottom, ca'ing the edges together. Should make for a pretty solid wing. It isn't super smoother, but its pretty good.
tresani is offline Find More Posts by tresani