SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2009, 12:10 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,991 Posts
Discussion
Radio Choice ??

I was wondering what folks thought about the pros and cons to buying a straight 2.4 Ghz radio like the Spectrum DX7 or a module radio that does both 2.4 and 72 Mhz like this. http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk9250.html

I'm looking for other reasons if any than just that the module system does both.
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2009, 01:05 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,327 Posts
You can fly FASST in your expensive planes, and pop in a cheap chinese 2.4 module for $18 recievers for foamies.
That's the advantage I see.

As the 10C communicates digitally with the Fasst module, there are no latency drawbacks.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old May 09, 2009, 02:46 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
It might look like an good thing to be able to switch between 72 and 2.4 but the advantages of 2.4 are such that for most of us, once we make the transition we have no interest in going back.

The biggest single advantage of 2.4 is getting rid of the frequency pin hassle and not having to worry about being shot down by someone on the same frequency nearby. It's a bit like the switch to a digital camera -- I thought I would continue to use my film cameras sometimes but in fact I never took another picture on film.

A possible exception to all this are mainly people who have a number of receivers on 72 that they want to continue to use. But even there, it's probably easier to just keep using the old 72 transmitter and get a new 2.4 as well.

Finally, there are some specialized applications where 72 is still the best bet -- like gliders with a CF fuselage, though that's changing too.

An important advantage of the DX7 or other integrated transmitter vs 2.4 module is Model Match, which prevents your selecting the wrong model memory. This feature doesn't work with the module. Another is getting rid of the messy antenna cable setup of the module. Also, the module gives slower response.

I started off with a Spektrum module in a JR XP9303. It worked very well but I wanted the real thing so the following season bought an X9303 (the module now serves as backup). I've never regretted it.

I do use a 72 radio for some models that I fly infrequently just because I already have the receivers.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 09, 2009, 05:35 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
It's a bit like the switch to a digital camera -- I thought I would continue to use my film cameras sometimes but in fact I never took another picture on film.
Don't I know that. I still have my Canon AE1 but never use it.

Thanks for your response. You make a good argument for keeping my Futaba for 72Mhz and getting a dedicated 2.4 system. I have been leaning towards the DX7 but then I saw this.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8992

So far there seem to be good reviews with the exception of firmware and return shipping if needed http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=turnigy+9x but at that price,, well you know.
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old May 09, 2009, 06:09 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
It's a basic choice that only you can make. The DX7 is a well proven product with a good history of reliability and very good service from Horizon Hobby. The Hobby City product is a relatively unknown quantity with respect to design, quality and servicing. But it's much cheaper.

I have a JR 2.4 for my helicopters and bigger fixed wing models, but I'm considering one of the Hobby City modules for flying foamies.

For me, it comes down to this. If you are flying relatively small, not too fast models (i.e., parkflyers) you might find the cheap 2.4 systems an attractive proposition. But if you are flying larger, more costly, more destructive (to people and property) models you really want to be as sure as possible of the reliability of the control system.

A year from now, the judgment might have changed as we accumulate more experience with the newer systems.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 09, 2009, 08:49 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
The Hobby City setup for 30 bucks is going to cause the present hobby marketing guys to really do some soul searching
All that 30 buck setup has to do is work - nothing speshul- just work -and for the low end market -that is all that is needed, or wanted as the "first time" buyer will fly it and if successful look at an upgrade -
if it causes any problems it will likely get lit on fire and flown out over a lake or some other such stupid demise.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old May 09, 2009, 09:11 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
The FlySky systems have been around for a while now (under different brandnames such as iMax Turborix, Elite, Turnigy, etc) and so far (Chinese QC notwithstanding) have a reasonable reputation for "value".

Certainly the 4-channel 2.4GHz system sold by HobbyKing is virtually unbeatable on today's market and they do seem to provide more than adequate performance for most 4-channel applications. The inclusion of a receiver that provides true diversity is an added bonus.

As for the 9X -- well there is the bonus that you can use (almost) any JR-compatible 2.4GHz module and matching receivers so that does open a lot of doors. If you're not happy with the FlySky or Turnigy RF link you could opt for Spektrum, Assan, XPS, Jeti, FlyDream and a raft of others that offer JR modules -- so that allows you to hedge your bets a little.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet