HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jfetter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2009, 12:17 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
New Product
Thunder Power Pro Power 40C Packs!

Battery technology is getting frightening and I mean this from a pure power perspective. Until recently I was quite pleased with my trusty FlightPower packs, many of which I've had for some 4 years, they've been good to me for the most part and I figured why change it if it isn't broken. What hapened next was a surprise to me and it all started with my friend who is a BVM rep who got hold of some new Thunder Power packs (Pro Power 40C) for testing.

Now I've shot video many times but these new packs really added so much more punch to the BVM Electra (a common video subject for me) to the point it was hard to follow and keep on camera at full power. The packs are 260 Amps continuous, 520 Amps burst, just saying that sounds insane! Turns out though while I've been seeing minimal increases in power from my FlightPower EVO's (I've gone from Lites and 20's through the new 30's), Thunder Power was out leapfrogging everyone with 40C packs that actually ARE 40C!

Now I've got a unique problem as well, it's not more power I need (though I won't mind more) but rather temperature control in a low airflow (cooling air flow) plane. My KMP Pilatus PC-21 has very limited air flow over the packs and the FlightPower EVO 30's are getting up to 125 degrees after only 6 minutes of mild-to-slightly-strong flying. It's bad enough I am fearful that heavy flying or running too long will ruin them and more airflow is difficult without ruining the sweet lines of the plane.

So at SEFF I come across Thunder Power and Jason Merkle offers me the chance to test a set of 6S Pro Power 40C 4250's (12S in series for the PC-21). Well after the first flight I have to say I'm blown away, after 7 minutes they come down at only 105 degrees (ambient 87) and to really light a fire under the plane my power goes from 3,650 Watts to 4,400! So available power is now amazing and all of it comes with operating temps so low you really can't tell the packs have been used without a temp gun.

So anyone out there wanting more power OR with a unique problem like temperature control, you need to look at these packs. From what I learned these are completely new, from a new hand-selected and exclusive supplier using the newest and finest materials from Japan. Thunder Power has certified these cells for 6C charging and they are seeing 250+ cycles with little loss of capacity while fully retaining voltage under load, meaning more cycles but no loss in power. I'm counting the days until the packs ship, looking at late May/early June but well worth the wait I assure you!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2009, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Last summer (or was it the summer before?) was the summer of the puffed Lipo. I predict this summer will be the summer of the smoked motor. All these new 30-40C batteries are putting out crazy power. I expect to see a wave of people smoking their motors as a result of the crazy-high sustained amps that these new packs are capable of delivering. What used to be an 8s set-up is now going to be a 7s set-up and so-on.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old May 12, 2009, 11:12 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
I have no idea where Thunder Power sourced their new Pro Power cells, apparently they've been working behind the scenes for some time and the data is just unreal! I got 2 6S 5000 40C Pro Power packs today and stuck them on the charger tonight for the first time and this is what the shipping state looked like;

Pack #1 3.85/3.86 V/cell, 53% charge, 1mΩ
Pack #2 3.85/3.86 V/cell, 53% charge, 2mΩ

You see the IR? that's just unheard of! I'm getting the measurement from my Hyperion Duo with the current firmware, I understand it's not meant to be drop dead accurate but I've charged many, many different packs and manufacturers and never seen anything below 6mΩ (that was for a 6S2P pack, which equates to 2mΩ per cell average) but to have a 6S pack measurement of 1mΩ, that's just sick!

So it gets even better! Here's what the first charge looks like;

Pack #1 4.20 V/cell, 100% charge, 0mΩ, 2153 mAh
Pack #2 4.20 V/cell, 100% cahrge, 1mΩ, 2086 mAh

Notice the IR on pack 1? It's too low to measure @ 0mΩ! Even pack #2 @ 1mΩ for the 6S pack is an average of 0.17mΩ or .00017Ω, this is getting into numbers I never thought we'd see. I plan on taking them out for a spin tomorrow, I'm almost afraid of the power given the 6S 4250's I tested (2 in series for 12S) produced some 4400 watts on the same setup the my FightPower EVO 30 4500's only produced 3,650 watts on. I may see 5000 watts from these packs, perhaps time to start looking at more motor or less prop!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jun 04, 2009, 12:48 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
I have no idea where Thunder Power sourced their new Pro Power cells, apparently they've been working behind the scenes for some time and the data is just unreal! I got 2 6S 5000 40C Pro Power packs today and stuck them on the charger tonight for the first time and this is what the shipping state looked like;

Pack #1 3.85/3.86 V/cell, 53% charge, 1mΩ
Pack #2 3.85/3.86 V/cell, 53% charge, 2mΩ

You see the IR? that's just unheard of! I'm getting the measurement from my Hyperion Duo with the current firmware, I understand it's not meant to be drop dead accurate but I've charged many, many different packs and manufacturers and never seen anything below 6mΩ (that was for a 6S2P pack, which equates to 2mΩ per cell average) but to have a 6S pack measurement of 1mΩ, that's just sick!

So it gets even better! Here's what the first charge looks like;

Pack #1 4.20 V/cell, 100% charge, 0mΩ, 2153 mAh
Pack #2 4.20 V/cell, 100% cahrge, 1mΩ, 2086 mAh

Notice the IR on pack 1? It's too low to measure @ 0mΩ! Even pack #2 @ 1mΩ for the 6S pack is an average of 0.17mΩ or .00017Ω, this is getting into numbers I never thought we'd see. I plan on taking them out for a spin tomorrow, I'm almost afraid of the power given the 6S 4250's I tested (2 in series for 12S) produced some 4400 watts on the same setup the my FightPower EVO 30 4500's only produced 3,650 watts on. I may see 5000 watts from these packs, perhaps time to start looking at more motor or less prop!

Jack
Due to the quite different power demands of racing FE RC boats. it was discovered that more motor and much larger ESC's were needed two years ago even at 20C rates running 2P 10Kmah setups. Which is basically 40C 1P today, (200 max constant amps). The improvement is weight and lower IR but now weight must be added back to maintain stability. 10K to 12K watt motors are normal in the open class boats such as Lehner 3080 and Neu 2230's with Schulze 40/160 ESC's.

Nice to see the mainstream plane world catching up with the new tech. I fly planes, Helis, RC cars and boats but stopped racing boats due to cost of well over $3K a boat base. Looks like planes are going down the same road for larger setups too.

I have seen the future and i can't afford it.
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member