HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2009, 04:21 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Discussion
Fast IYF Ritewing Build.

Hey guys here is my Lite build for the 44 IYF.

I built these here in Tims trailer after Seff,one is a strait park flyer and the other 2 are riddled with lights for some inyoface nite flyin.

These things handle awesome and would be a great American made replacement for your swifts.
AUW on the lighted version are 13 oz or so, the parkie w no lites is 9.5 oz.
They have an A frame style strip carbon and are built lite.

Spex are as folows.
Servos are hs 65 or full size will work with a little more added weight thats all.
Motor is scorpian 2205 40
Esc is a t bird 18 CC
prop 7/4 apc slowfly
Lipo bat is a 3s 1320

Our flight times have ben any where from 15 to 30 mins dep on type of flying.

Our nite flying is the crazyiest fun you can ever have.

Now lets build some Iyf's

Put you IYF parkies here in this thread.
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; May 08, 2009 at 04:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2009, 04:33 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,342 Posts
MAN, he ain't lying. I flew one of these today and it is a BLAST. Even in the 15mph wind. I am now a believer!!! Must be an easy build, they have been cranking them out several a day.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2009, 07:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
How are the hinges holding up to Timís abuse...

The first one took about 1.5 hours total build time... have you reduced that on #2 and #3

So would they qualify for the Stupid Fun Moniker
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old May 08, 2009, 08:25 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,342 Posts
It's a Millinium RC Stick mount- You know, the Slo Stick X folks. Pretty cool that they come in several different colors.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2009, 10:14 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
I thought you meant FAST IYF.. I'm still lookin' for a home for my MicroDan Velocity..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Last edited by Tram; May 15, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:41 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Hey guys, these quick builds are a breeze, You can easily have one RTF in a few hours, just depends on how much time you want to invest.

I would love for you all to share your techniques and AUW's for us here. I know 15oz AUW is easily accomplished.

I am flying mine on a ~1700kv, 24g outrunner, w/ a 6x4E, a 3s rhino 1050, some micro digital 9g servos, I am only pulling 10 amps on a 6x4, The thrust is much better with an 8x4 but the top end is bout the same. I am sticking with the 6x4 as performance is good and flight times are 10-15 mins.

She slows down to a crawl, very predictable stall, will take some major abuse, I smashed mine in full throttle a few times and just picked it up and gave her a toss.

Please post your progress and ideas in this thread, I really want to see all the creative ways you guys are finishing these.

Heres mine, I am happy I used the glass where I did but it may be overkill, Some strapping tape would of accomplished similar results with less weight. I regret using the solite, If I had to do it again I would prolly paint it instead.

One issue we have not settled on is hinging. Hinging balsa to epp leaves little option. You can spray the TE with 90 or 77 and use strapping tape, then there is the welders/hot glue hinge, CK experimented with some CA hinge and so far so good. Please share your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old May 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Adam I have found that a good coat of the 3m 90 on the TE top and bottom works great for hinging the 3m storage Tape.

1 . coat TE well with 90 top bottom and back of TE, let try .
2 . trim balsa elevons to match proper fit.
3 . spray elevons with 90 then let dry completely
4 tape elevons on with small pieces of scotch or storage tape to get placement rite .
5 run full length storage tape on top of elevon,1/3 on balsa 2/3 on the epp,
then flip elevon over and do the bottom by fliping the hinge and exposing the root of it to back hinge it in atleast 3 places,or full length is what I did on some of them.
FYI dont be shy with the glue on the EPP TE or balsa elevons,if it bubbles just leave it alone they will go away,if you disturb the bubbles you will make a mess .

In my opinion the hinge taped like this also keeps the TE more stong and true which helps keep the flying charicteristics better longer.

Doing it like this makes a nice durable hinge with not much weight gain.

Ck
Old May 10, 2009, 03:10 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I know it works well but it is hard to keep it pretty.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old May 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,793 Posts
Who said anything about pretty,the whole quick build is far from pretty.
My nite flyer is beautiful at nite and super ugly during the day.

The ones I built are for people who want a swift type build with super lite AUW.

They can als be built with covering for beauty,Adam also shows the proces of some lite builds that are covered and are not just bare epp like mine.

On another note I have also fould that the 7/4 apc slowfy prop is the bomb on this setup,killer thrust decent speed and 20 plus mins of flight times.

ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
I know it works well but it is hard to keep it pretty.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:09 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Jezz, I wana build a uglyiyfrw..... hurry up and get home so we can get some cores

Actually i do have some ideas on the hinging i have been playing the problem with the s90 is over spray which you can control with some blue painters tape..

But i had good luck on other epp builds with a real light wipe of goop and then storage tape.. I also found that a light misting of Spray polycryilic works great to seal the balsa from moisture and the tape will stick to it.. just use light mist coats or they will warp. (My mini lighting was done that way and it has held over a year now)

So i agree get your kits ordered from CK so when he gets back he can cut and ship them out and them we can have a UGLY IYF build thread ....

Ok Adam they dont have to be ugly just light.... (Oh Hell i may not qualify the way i build heavy )
Old May 13, 2009, 05:56 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
I'm positive mine will be ugly.
mbragdon is offline Find More Posts by mbragdon
Old May 14, 2009, 07:52 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
I've tryed to tape EPP but always failed. How do you guys get the tape to stick?
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old May 14, 2009, 08:17 PM
All fly now...
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Dec 2007
375 Posts
I have had good results with S77 by masking off and spraying only where the tape is to go.
fishRfly is offline Find More Posts by fishRfly
Old May 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
I've tryed to tape EPP but always failed. How do you guys get the tape to stick?
Goop or Wellers or super 90 or 77 any ruber cement will do nicley mask off when you done want over spary like Fish said