HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2001, 11:28 AM
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
BD-5D by Hobby Lobby?????

Does anybody have some inputs? I just got this model and it's fantastic. The fiberglass fuselage is smooth and the covering no wrinkles at all.
Thinking of using new brushless Jeti electric motor.
Thanks
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2001, 07:20 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Almost got one of these planes, but got talked into something else. When I was looking into it, the Jeti's weren't out and I was going to use a brushed Velkom 24/12 in it at 25-30 amps on 8 cells.

It is a very nice plane and has a lot of potential for some nice color schemes.

Should perform VERY well on a Jeti 15-4 at 8 cells or a 30-3 on 10 cells with a JES 40-3P ESC. Let us know what you do and how IT does!

Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jun 10, 2001, 08:40 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Modest Master
Put in a Jeti 15/4 Brushless, it is awesome! I flew mine for the first time yesterday with this set up. Jeti 15/4 with 30-3 controller, 8-1900mAh pack, 8x4 APC electric prop, all servos are Hitec HS-81's.
Take off roll was 100'+ and brisk, after rotation the climb out was terrific. Climb angle of about 40-45 degrees. Plane had an initial left turn tendancy that I had to trim out with opposite aileron, I may need to adjust the thrust angle on the motor. At full throttle this plane rocks! But surprise of surprises when I came off on the throttle the plane slowed right down, slowed down but didn't come down. This thing really floats, more like a glider than a semi-scale powered plane. Landings require a long approach so that you can bleed off the speed. The slow speed handling is very good; you could probably circle the model down into a smaller landing zone without gaining tons of speed. I did a couple of rolls, very axial but a bit slower than I would like, I am going to change the throws a bit and try again.
Duration is very good; I didn't want to run it till it quit but I still flew for 8 minutes, I suspect that 10 minutes will be about average.
I am really having a good time with this plane, nice kit great flyer!

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Jun 11, 2001, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2000
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hiflyer:
Modest Master
Put in a Jeti 15/4 Brushless, it is awesome! ....At full throttle this plane rocks! But surprise of surprises when I came off on the throttle the plane slowed right down, slowed down but didn't come down. This thing really floats, more like a glider than a semi-scale powered plane. ...Mike Hines
Yo! Mikey!

It LOOKS like a glider in planform! Holler if you're gonna fly it again today! (I'm semi recovered from yesterday's !*#!!? cleanup exercise.)

Jim
Jim M is offline Find More Posts by Jim M
Old Jun 18, 2001, 12:27 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Hey Guys
I went to an electric fun fly in Tullahoma Tn yesterday, what a blast! I want to thank Craig and Herb and all of the members of the Coffee Airfoilers for putting on such a fun day. There was a good turnout with a lot of flying being done by all. The wind got worse as the day progressed but it wasn't that bad.
I was able to fly my BD-5 and I really had a great time with it. I want to thank David Payne of Chattanooga for flyin the BD-5 and giving me the chance to do some photography. David is a much better pilot than I, and with him at the controls I was able to shoot a low inverted pass with the BD-5, way cool! In general, I think that the other flyers were impressed with the performance of this model with its Jeti Brushless.
I hope that the photo link shows up.

Mike Hines
<a href="http://www.photoloft.com/view/Image.asp?s=plft&u=1018761&a=1068560&i=7055620"><i mg src=http://www.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=plft&i=7055620&w=256&h=168></a>
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:06 PM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hiflyer:
David is a much better pilot than I, and with him at the controls I was able to shoot a low inverted pass with the BD-5, way cool! <a href="http://www.photoloft.com/view/Image.asp?s=plft&u=1018761&a=1068560&i=7055620"><i mg src=http://www.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=plft&i=7055620&w=256&h=168></a>
That's not low This is low...

Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:48 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Hey Todd, there's still sunlight under the rudder tip!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 19, 2001, 12:09 AM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregG:
Hey Todd, there's still sunlight under the rudder tip!
Yeah I know, the picture was taken 1/2 second too late

Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Jun 20, 2001, 09:31 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
Todd - What kind of plane is that?

sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jun 22, 2001, 08:37 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I was checking this plane out in the new Hobby Lobby catalog. It might be in my fleet in a while.
How areobatic is it. Can it do consective loops? Cuban eights.
When you take it off and land it, is it one of those planes where you have to keep your airspeed going or if you pull it off the ground to early the wings will wobble and it will snap. When you land can you slow it up good.
Is it a plane that will hold up well. Not one that something is always breaking on it?
If I get one I will be using the Jeti Brushless motor.
Can the Brushless 15-4 handle 10cells? Can 10 cells fit in the fusluge where you put the battery in.
Any other info on it would be great. Any other pictures of it anywhere on the internet?
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Jun 23, 2001, 12:46 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,307 Posts
Ryan, I don't have the Hobby Lobby BD-5 but I do have another. One of the interesting things about getting it off the ground is the fact that with the pusher prop it tends to be a bit squirrely on the ground before the rudder actually becomes effective. With mine I have to give it the throttle very sparingly until it's almost at flying speed. You can actually see it begin to groove on the ground. That's when I punch it and take off. Any attempt at full throttle before this point makes it want to ground loop (even with the tri-gear!). Another thing I notice is that it rotates sooner if you slightly back off the throttle at the spot you'd like to take off, attain climbout angle, and then punch it again. I think this may be due to the height of the thrust line above the wings center of drag(?). This also makes interesting changes in flight as you vary power input and speed.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:13 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Greg

I've built a couple of pushers. ( with varing degrees of success ) Both exhibited the same " nose down under power" tendency you talk about. Both had the motors ( glo, at the time) mounted on the centerline of the fuselage, but stil did it. Shimming the motor so that it tried to push the tail down ( front lower than back end) helped the problem.

I have a new one ( epower ) ready to try as soon as the Sacramento winds moderate!

Dave

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:18 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
What size wheels come with it? Can it take off from the grass with Jeti Setup? HL said about putting an extra piece of plywood under the main landing gear to help strenghen it better. Good idea? Where is the battery located on it? Do you have to take the wing off every flight to charge it?
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Jul 19, 2001, 12:32 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Nau:
What size wheels come with it? Can it take off from the grass with Jeti Setup? HL said about putting an extra piece of plywood under the main landing gear to help strenghen it better. Good idea? Where is the battery located on it? Do you have to take the wing off every flight to charge it?
The nose wheel is 1 3/8" and the mains are 1 3/4". It is possible to switch to larger wheels for grass field flying.
As far as the ply rienforcements for where the gear is mounted, yes it's a good idea, it saves the bottom of the wing on rough field landings.
The canopy is removeable for access to the batteries which are mounted in the nose. This is necessary to balance the weight of the motor and controller in the tail. By the way if you are using the Jeti 15/4 Phasor motor, leave the controller in the back with the motor, do not extend the leads between the controller and the motor. It is fine to extend the leads from the controller to the battery and this is necessary in the case of the BD-5.

Mike Hines