HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2009, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Discussion
3DHobbyShop 51" AJ SLICK - how durable for 3D moves?

I'm starting 3D with the Slick and some people at my field have suggested that doing a 'Parachute' will rip the wings off. I obviously don't do it with power on but after a 100 ft free fall, it does look stressful on the airframe.

Can anyone comment if this and other violent 3D moves are indeed safe for the Slick?

... Rob
Voyager is offline Find More Posts by Voyager
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2009, 11:13 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,965 Posts
It probably can do it. I've seen plenty of videos of planes like the Slick doing it. Also, don't you think Andrew Jesky would have designed an airframe capable of doing beyond what most airframes can do?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 05, 2009, 11:14 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Can anyone comment if this and other violent 3D moves are indeed safe for the Slick?

... Rob
Perfectly. You've seen the videos right?

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old May 05, 2009, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
451 Posts
ANY OF THEM.......except hitting the ground .....seriously, go for it.
reelcoolfish is offline Find More Posts by reelcoolfish
Old May 05, 2009, 11:17 PM
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
I thought it would be fine. That's why I bought the Slick. I expected it to be a plane that could take a lot of stress.
I don't have much 3D experience with planes so I'm looking for other sources to verify my belief before I continue to thrash the Slick.

... Rob
Old May 05, 2009, 11:17 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
If you can make the airframe Fail in Any way, Let us know.

George
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old May 05, 2009, 11:21 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Don't worry, those guys are at every field, and they never seem to be up on the current state of anything in the hobby. Next they'll probably tell you that you need gyros to hover. Please do search on "slick" in the electric video forum, that should give you some great inspiration.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 05, 2009, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2003
53 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

Back to 'testing' the Slick tomorrow :-)

... Rob
Old May 06, 2009, 12:00 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Quote:
I'm starting 3D with the Slick and some people at my field have suggested that doing a 'Parachute' will rip the wings off. I obviously don't do it with power on but after a 100 ft free fall, it does look stressful on the airframe.

... Rob
Ive flown a lot of 3dhs planes.. some more violently than others,i wouldnt be concerned about power off parachutes from 100 feet with the slick. As far as people at the field.. i totally agree,every field is different and has pilots with different flying styles that are kind of out of the loop when it comes to current high performance 3d electrics like the 3dhs ones. ''Oh my god'' ''Jesus'' ''Did you see that'' ''It Didnt rip apart'' "' That thing has a lot of power''.. some of the things ive heard at the local field.. circle burner nitro crowd mostly,ive also never seen anyone fly like the guys on here either though at the local field .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2009, 12:39 AM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Don't worry, those guys are at every field, and they never seem to be up on the current state of anything in the hobby. Next they'll probably tell you that you need gyros to hover. Please do search on "slick" in the electric video forum, that should give you some great inspiration.

same guys will tell you to get a "nitro trainer", that 2.4ghz doesnt work, and will make you do weird things to get a (club license) even though most of them havent brought more to field than a folding chair in 6 years.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old May 06, 2009, 12:45 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Not knocking the local crowd here or anything but that sounds exactly like here,maybe i just go on the wrong days or something. About a year ago i was there with a bud and we both fly dx-7s.. one of there tech guys i guess it was came up and asked where are frequency clips were.. NO JOKE. Explained 2.4 etc and that it was similar to cell phone technology.. hence why are planes didnt crash eventhough we didnt have shiny six foot antenaes sticking out of the transmitters.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2009, 01:27 AM
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
I hear that sometimes as well, but I've parachuted the preverbial crap out of my 3dhs planes among other things and they continue to fly great and amaze me every time.
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
Old May 06, 2009, 05:37 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Don't forget that lipos will burn down your subdivision, and brushless motors are a fad...

/sigh.
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old May 06, 2009, 07:10 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
This sort of treatment would shred most airplanes. Go to 4:14. I've done full throttle walls, parachutes, tumbles, enemas, and blenders with this plane but we don't have any on video yet.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; May 06, 2009 at 07:37 AM.