HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 05, 2009, 02:49 AM
Registered User
bluemeane's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,126 Posts
Discussion
THE FIRST UNOFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi mods thread!!!!

Let the modding begin!!! (Even if just in our heads for now )



I started this thread for the simple purpose of starting conversations on how to mod this sweet little plane...

First off, how about a micro brushless motor??

I haven had much exp with the little buggers, but they seem simple enough, My question is, is it possible to have a "plug-n-play" way of doing this? Can we just plug the BL ESC into the Sukhoi brick and then into the motor? Or will there be soldering needed? It looks like the JST connector in the middle of the board could be an alternate channel for the throttle... What do you guys reckon?



****Hehehehe just had to change the title... Didn't want to be sued by lightspeeddud... *****
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Last edited by bluemeane; Jul 19, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2009, 05:24 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
thewildweasel's Avatar
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Probably be the same or a very similar proceedure to the other miniums, ie, solder a convertor from 'the steve' to the board and to an esc and you're good to go. Does add a fair bit of weight though, mainly from the esc. You will get a lot more power so if you can handle the plane having a higher stall speed from the extra weight then it'd be feasable, esp as you can run a 2s lipo.... Best mod I did on a minium though was to swap the brass bushes in the gearbox for tiny ball races. This added another minute or two to the flight time on my citabria and allowed it to loop from level flight, also allowed flights in higher winds than before, and all for a couple of quid and no appreciable weight gain.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2009, 09:05 AM
Registered User
ForceFedDSM's Avatar
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
Probably be the same or a very similar proceedure to the other miniums, ie, solder a convertor from 'the steve' to the board and to an esc and you're good to go. Does add a fair bit of weight though, mainly from the esc. You will get a lot more power so if you can handle the plane having a higher stall speed from the extra weight then it'd be feasable, esp as you can run a 2s lipo.... Best mod I did on a minium though was to swap the brass bushes in the gearbox for tiny ball races. This added another minute or two to the flight time on my citabria and allowed it to loop from level flight, also allowed flights in higher winds than before, and all for a couple of quid and no appreciable weight gain.
You won't need a converter to run a brushless esc, the rx has a built in "x-port" to connect a esc too. Should be easy to add more power with that setup.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2009, 11:22 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
thewildweasel's Avatar
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFedDSM
You won't need a converter to run a brushless esc, the rx has a built in "x-port" to connect a esc too. Should be easy to add more power with that setup.

Cool, that saves a few quid and a little tricky soldering
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2009, 12:26 PM
Make the best of all you have
beetyii's Avatar
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Here is what i did for my Edge and it will certanly become a part of my Sukhoi - ballbearing ...






Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2009, 01:48 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
thewildweasel's Avatar
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Makes a big difference doesn't it? As I said above my citabria was a much better plane after doing this
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2009, 10:23 PM
TP 1.21 Gigawatt Needed
MikeBiv's Avatar
Hendersonville, NC
Joined Jul 2005
1,103 Posts
I love the idea of a drop in replacement Brushless Motor, wish it was released at launch I really would like a High Quality one like a E-flite Motor but hopefully Hacker or Axi will have something soon.

The Motor used in the Raptor GS might have potential:
http://www.elemodel.com/shopen/html/product_1532.html

What is the Highest C lipos in this size I remember RCG had a AD for a 20 or 25 C lipo but can't remember.

I also may like to see what using an additional Servo on the Wing.

Hopefully some manufactors will add Some new Prop Selections.
MikeBiv is offline Find More Posts by MikeBiv
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2009, 11:09 PM
Registered User
qman's Avatar
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
they are not even out yet and you are already changing them
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2009, 08:08 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
thewildweasel's Avatar
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
they are not even out yet and you are already changing them

Isn't this hobby great?
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2009, 12:14 PM
Lawn Dart Specialist
SixDeuces's Avatar
United States, PA, Williamsport
Joined Jun 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetyii
Here is what i did for my Edge and it will certanly become a part of my Sukhoi - ballbearing ...






Rolf
Rolf,

Being that I'm one of the lucky few who have access to a Sukhoi now, I'd like to try this mod. What size is the bearing? (in English)

Looks to be 4x1.5x2mm according to the photo, with the prop shaft/I.D. being the 1.5mm measurement. Correct?

Also, I'll need to find a US retailer... I remember a place specializing in small bearings, but I'm blanking on the name.

Thanks!

Jesse
SixDeuces is offline Find More Posts by SixDeuces
Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2009, 12:28 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
kenstogie's Avatar
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDeuces

Being that I'm one of the lucky few who have access to a Sukhoi now,
So when are the dang things coming out???????????
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiv
I love the idea of a drop in replacement Brushless Motor, wish it was released at launch I really would like a High Quality one like a E-flite Motor but hopefully Hacker or Axi will have something soon.

The Motor used in the Raptor GS might have potential:
http://www.elemodel.com/shopen/html/product_1532.html

What is the Highest C lipos in this size I remember RCG had a AD for a 20 or 25 C lipo but can't remember.

I also may like to see what using an additional Servo on the Wing.

Hopefully some manufactors will add Some new Prop Selections.

I've been having great results with my 20C Zippy packs in my micro stuff.
Make a huge difference!

Hyperion G3 just started selling a 120mAh 25C 1S that can be charged at 5C.
I've just got to give it a shot.

http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=172


rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:14 AM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Looks like our modding wait is almost over!

Seems that all systems are "go" for July.

I've got a Zippy 100mAh 20C pack that is ready. AUW with wire and Deans micro is 5g. Stock pack appears to be around 4g.

I"ve seen amazing power increases with these 20c packs in my micro helis.
Looking forward to trying the same on the Sukhoi!
I'll get some tach readings for ya'll.

Let's fly,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:26 AM
..·`·.><((((º>.·`·.><((((º>
Sl0flyer's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Nov 2008
323 Posts
Post moved to "Official thread"
Sl0flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sl0flyer
Last edited by Sl0flyer; Jul 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:27 AM
Up Up and Away!
lightspeeddud's Avatar
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
please keep all the sukhoi stuff in this thread,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081070

sorry but you should lock this thread
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Parkzone Vapor Mods thread !! glenn2626 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 1648 Apr 11, 2014 10:47 AM
Gallery POST your parkzone warbird mods Citabria86614 Electric Warbirds 165 May 16, 2013 03:38 AM
Discussion parkzone sukhoi ??? MJ-MERLIN Micro Ready-to-Fly 571 Sep 20, 2009 03:06 PM
Discussion ParkZone FW190 mods dmackie Electric Warbirds 8 Jan 17, 2007 01:54 PM
wattage sukhoi mods?? buzzsaw 46 Parkflyers 7 May 06, 2002 10:27 AM