HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,635 Posts
Discussion
Airtronics 92824 2.4 Ghz glider install

Has anyone here installed the Airtronics 92824 2.4 ghz rx in a sailplane? I've been following the various install threads on 2.4 ghz receivers and have a fair idea of what is needed but the Airtronics 2.4 rx is a bit different in that the antenna wires are much longer than other 2.4 systems like the JR/Spectrum. The wires are about 7 5/8 inches long and, of course, aren't to be bent sharply. Most of that length is coax with about 1 1/4 inches of bare antenna at the end. These two end pieces are supposed to be oriented at 90 degrees to each other. My main concern is the length. I'm putting together a new ship with a 2.4 friendly front end and I"m not sure where I'll find the length to accomodate the antenna wires. My current thinking is to mount the rx behind the servos, run the antenna wires past the servos inside of plastic tube which will be bent in front of the servos to provide the angular separation desired. The part of the antenna wires that goes past the servos will be the coax section so that should shield the antenna from the servos, I hope. Anyone have any better ideas? The model in question is a Shadow.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by georgeg; May 04, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 08:18 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
In my DLGs, I run one antenna over the receiver along the side of the pod past the servos and into a short length of tube on the floor of the pod just forward of the servos/aft of the battery in the nose (under the switchjack in the pic). The other antenna runs just ahead of the servo and across in a piece of tubing glued to a strip of balsa across the pod. A few little blobs of hot glue support the wires along the way. Note: I took the case off the receiver and covered it with 1" heat shrink tubing.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old May 04, 2009, 09:06 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
191 Posts
Airtronics RX Antenna

Georgeg

Here are some photos of my antenna routing in my Topaz -S. I have flown this ship as far out as I can see with plenty of altitude with absolutely NO glitches. The receiver is located in front of the servos and behind the battery. The two antenna wires are first routed forward over the battery then turn rearward and follow the yellow inner nyrod tubes. The straight antenna wire ends near the aft end of servo #2. The 90 degree antenna wire crosses in front of servo #1 and ends near the fuse inside surface. The masking tape around the yellow tube is for the CA to grip.

Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay