SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2001, 08:07 AM
Cleveland, OH USA
Joined Mar 2000
123 Posts
Combat Models F-16 or F-15?

I am thinking about one of these models and i want to put a brushless motor in it instead of the .46ic engine. Can anyone suggest a motor/prop/battery combo that would make this jet go like stink? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Grimlok75 is offline Find More Posts by Grimlok75
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2001, 01:17 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Joined May 2001
130 Posts
I dont have motocalc, but I think two 480`s in each motor ( a la TwinJet) will work in the F-15. I you keep light without landing gear, etc.
cosmo is offline Find More Posts by cosmo
Old Jul 16, 2001, 02:29 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
erm.. a couple of 480's (80W motors) to replace a 46? I think not..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 16, 2001, 03:33 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Without benefit of *.calc, and having seen one of those 46 powered deltas from Balsa USA - Enforcer? - with the prop in a slot, I'd say you're looking at 16 - bare minimum - to 20 cells, running an Aveox brushless, with a 9 or 10" pusher prop.

If you go to Aveox's site, they have a motor estimator page, where you can stick in the stuff you can change - cells, prop, motor model # - and figure things out. Look for a combo that will turn a typical glow prop of the usual size for those models at near matching revs. Stay under 35A - 40A max current for decent flight times and being kind to gear and batteries, and learn to really use that throttle lots.

You'll almost certainly want to stay out of geared motors, as they need huge props and those models are pushers and won't stand much over 10".

Points in your favour - if those models need nose ballast to counter a tail full of engine, you won't. A CG pays attention to a 20 cell nicad pack, plus a direct e-motor is lighter than a glow lump. Another is your fuel tank doesn't change weight between full and empty.

Okay, maybe it does, but not as you'd measure on kitchen scales!

I'd be inclined to look at a no UC catapult launch,for simplicity. I recall an F16 fitted with trike fixed gear and it looked ridiculous flying around with the huge fat tyres needed to cope with grass.

OTOH, Robert W at the Electric Jet Factory converted a Combat Models A10 to twin EDF with retracts and it flew really awesome. Very much a tarmac bird though.

Good luck, you could end up with an impressive sports jet.

Dereck

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 07-16-2001).]
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck