SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2009, 06:00 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Discussion
Aerotech 24/40 RMS on Sale

Heads up gang, Aerotech currently has the 24/40 RMS on sale for $34.90.

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/ind...roducts_id=123

That's the best price I've seen anywhere!

-Joe
ProBroJoe is offline Find More Posts by ProBroJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Joined Sep 2003
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroJoe
Heads up gang, Aerotech currently has the 24/40 RMS on sale for $34.90.

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/ind...roducts_id=123

That's the best price I've seen anywhere!

-Joe
Yep...but thats not an rc rms 24mm. This is an "rc" forum afterall

Wondering if anyone has tried 24/40 rms hardware with rc AT reloads and how they got it to work. What I think would work is a threaded "cap" at the end w/o-ring and metal plate.

But wondering how the standard end closure could be used. If its just leaving out the ej charge....no go, because AT rc reloads don't come with ej charge or delay. And it wouldn't make any sense to purchase delays that aren't used.

Kevin K.
kkooch is offline Find More Posts by kkooch
Old May 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
A friend of mine made an aluminum plug that fits into the forward closure, it has a slot about midway around it for an o-ring to help seal it, it also has a smaller diameter extension at the rear that centers the normal thick forward o-ring, and you use a fiber washer (both from a normal 24/40 motor reload that has been fired once, and the rest of the RC reload as normal. Works fine, but you have to re-use the fiber washers and o-rings and keep track of when they are getting marginal. The RC reloads are pretty low pressure however.

You still have to seal the forward end, even with a solid threaded plug, there is still enough pressure that I believe you would still need some sort of o-ring and washer at the forward part that isn't included in a normal RC reload, you'd have to re-use normal reload parts, or find a source for the o-ring and washer setup.

I don't know if you could use a high temp epoxy or adhesive and permanently attach the new threaded solid forward end and then use normal RC reloads and whether it would hold up. I believe that's why nobody has done that yet. I would think Gary would sell a lot more of the RC reloads if he designed them to use a forward o-ring/washer and developed a solid forward end, as the rc casings are quite a bit more than the normal casings. It would make the rc reload slightly more expensive and complicated but a lot more people could use their normal casings to fly with.

I used this a few times, however I always worried about re-using the washer and o-ring, and the casing with the forward closure needed a longer motor mount clearance, I finally broke down and bought an RC casing at a reasonable price and it makes it much faster to reload without the forward closure, just wipe out the casing, lube parts and re-install.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkooch

Wondering if anyone has tried 24/40 rms hardware with rc AT reloads and how they got it to work. What I think would work is a threaded "cap" at the end w/o-ring and metal plate.

But wondering how the standard end closure could be used. If its just leaving out the ej charge....no go, because AT rc reloads don't come with ej charge or delay. And it wouldn't make any sense to purchase delays that aren't used.

Kevin K.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; May 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Quote:
Well... I fly most of the 24/40 RMS reloads in my Ladyhawk, from E11s to F39s so... this works for me. I also fly an F12 in my Estes Sweet Vee, so again, it works.

I'm hoping to test a similar solution to the one Frank is talking about - but mine is a simple aluminum plug that uses the forward enclosure & delay o-rings for the E12s I picked up from Tower Hobbies for $4.44 a three pack! (Discontinued item for them.)

It's all good....

-Joe
Old May 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Yeah, if you are happy with the non RC reloads and get them cheap, they already have the o-rings and fiber washer included. I questioned whether I really needed the mid mounted o-ring or whether just a snug fitting aluminum plug and the standard o-ring in the kit would be sufficient, my friend agreed it probably wasn't needed, but he had already done it, that one I don't replace, it's kind of just a redundant backup.

Frank

Quote:
Well... I fly most of the 24/40 RMS reloads in my Ladyhawk, from E11s to F39s so... this works for me. I also fly an F12 in my Estes Sweet Vee, so again, it works.

I'm hoping to test a similar solution to the one Frank is talking about - but mine is a simple aluminum plug that uses the forward enclosure & delay o-rings for the E12s I picked up from Tower Hobbies for $4.44 a three pack! (Discontinued item for them.)

It's all good....

-Joe
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
Old May 14, 2009, 06:49 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
Frank, et al,

I just reread my post, and it sounds a bit confusing / "snippy" (was in a hurry at work)... sorry.

I have plenty of used-but otherwise OK O-rings from non-RC reloads, as well as new o-rings that never made it into motors for one reason or the other. I plan on using them along with the simple aluminum "delay-delete" plug in conjunction with the new solid fiber washer that's included in the E12 RC RMS reloads. I'm confident that it'll work just fine - not that I condone this sort of thing...

I think the 24mm RC RMS is a bit of a marketing ploy - there's no reason why a "delay delete plug" or solid forward enclosure couldn't have been provided instead of selling a totally different motor. Then again, they wouldn't have been able to sell an $80 "RC" RMS...

-Joe
Old May 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,068 Posts
Quote:
I think the 24mm RC RMS is a bit of a marketing ploy - there's no reason why a "delay delete plug" or solid forward enclosure couldn't have been provided instead of selling a totally different motor. Then again, they wouldn't have been able to sell an $80 "RC" RMS...
I doubt it is that nepharious. Originally (back in "the day") the 24 mm RC RMS case sold for about $40, similar in price to the 24 mm "model rocket" case. But over the years it went up in price, possibly due to the limited demand for it and the fact that machining parts actually is not cheap.
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke