HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 05:50 AM
Joined Mar 2009
32 Posts
Discussion
Which Gyro...?

Hi,

Which would be the better gyro to use on a .50 size 3D nitro heli? The JR G770 or the Futaba GY401?

Thanks,
Meester50 is offline Find More Posts by Meester50
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 07:10 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The 770 is a newer gyro, but the 401 works fine. I have 401s on 3 helis and 770s on 2. They both work fine.

There is also the Solid G and Spartan.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 04, 2009, 08:31 PM
Helicopter Pilot
Junction City, KS
Joined Sep 2004
686 Posts
The gyro is matched to the skills of the pilot, not the size of the helicopter.

Pick one that will either grow with you, or is sufficient for your current skills.

The 401 is good, the 601 is even better. The spartan and the 770 are up there with the 601.

Rafael
Rafael23cc is offline Find More Posts by Rafael23cc
Old May 07, 2009, 04:45 AM
West Sussex
Joined Aug 2005
194 Posts
The Gyro is only as good as the servo you plug in to it!

Get a good digital tail servo and insure that you have a high drain battery to cope with it!
mattbroomer2000 is offline Find More Posts by mattbroomer2000
Old May 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
469 Posts
I've got the GY401 gyro - new to this stuff - local shop told me to disable the DS mode on it, I have a Hi-tec hitorque servo for it.....is there an incompatability between DS and Hi-Tec?
ScottTurchin is offline Find More Posts by ScottTurchin
Old May 21, 2009, 08:43 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,463 Posts
DS mode ups the frame rate to the servo from 50hz to 270hz. Some servos can cope with it, some over heat and burn up. The Futaba digitals are made to run that high so they are fine. Safest thing is if you aren't sure, is to turn it off.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old May 27, 2009, 01:53 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
"The Gyro is only as good as the servo you plug in to it!"
This is so true!!!

Use the fastest servo you can afford, and then some.

"DS mode" stands for Digital Servo mode. If you don't have a digital servo DON'T use the Futaba DS mode. The Futaba 401 gyro is a rather slow gyro (270 Hz). I think most (if not all) digital tail servos can handle this speed. An analog servo can't handle much more than a 50 Hz input frame rate.

Most high torque servos are too slow to be used as a tail servo. You really want a servo that is faster than 0.10 sec/60░ and one that has a digital amplifier. You don't need to use a Futaba servo, but do get a fast digital servo.

FYI,
Modern gyro can now operate at 333Hz with a 760 Ásec pulse output.

ScottU,
What servo do you have?
Hi-Tec digital servos can handle the Futaba 401 DS mode. No, there is no incompatibility issues with Hi-Tec's digital amplifier and Futaba's DS mode.

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Last edited by Konrad; May 27, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:55 AM
Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Hi everyone

I am using the Spartan DS760 on my Aeolus 50 3D

Like mattbroommer2000 said "The Gyro is only as good as the servo you plug in to it!" and Konrad agreed, I must say that I was told this as well when I started researching gyros for my Aeolus 50 3D.

So what I have plugged into the Spartan DS760 is a Hyperion DS20-GMD.

EJB
CEGLOBAL is offline Find More Posts by CEGLOBAL
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
100 Posts
True to a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbroomer2000
The Gyro is only as good as the servo you plug in to it!

Get a good digital tail servo and insure that you have a high drain battery to cope with it!
I agree partially. Neverless, for a beginer, I would suggest the cheapest of those 3 for the simple reason a new pilot won't feel the difference and is more likely to have a mishap causing replacement. I have an old Nexus 700 .30 (and a Raptor 50 v2) that still has the old type mechanical gyro and it flys great. Its no Raptor , but good for loops and rolls; training. Tail servo on that bird is worth more than the whole helicopter

Thx,
adslparts
MN
adslparts is offline Find More Posts by adslparts
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Sorry, I disagree. I suggest that one NOT skimp on the gyro and tail servo. A beginner needs all the help they can get and a good gyro/tail servo is a BIG help. A good flyer and live with minor tail issues, a beginner can't.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,032 Posts
The servo futaba bundles with the 401 is a good choice for the raptor in my opinion, (and use) and ofcource no worries if it works or not.
While i agree that a to cheapo servo / gyro makes things more dificult anything over the 401 range is waisted on a beginer too so there is a ballance.
Also the 401 is simpler to set up compaired to the high end gyro's.

Btw i still mostly fly with my gyro's in rate mode since i am used to it from when i learned to fly and i don't think its too dificult for a beginer to fly in rate mode.
I would even go so far as to advice the first few flight to ONLY use rate mode to fine tune the gyro since its eazier to know if the settings are off and once the mechanical setup is right the heading hold setting will work optimal too.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:57 AM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGLOBAL
Hi everyone

I am using the Spartan DS760 on my Aeolus 50 3D

Like mattbroommer2000 said "The Gyro is only as good as the servo you plug in to it!" and Konrad agreed, I must say that I was told this as well when I started researching gyros for my Aeolus 50 3D.

So what I have plugged into the Spartan DS760 is a Hyperion DS20-GMD.

EJB
I just got the spartan gyro and hyperion servo. I took out my new heli this weekend and the tail sucked. It acted like I had 50% expo in the radio, the tail held OK, but if I hammered the rudder stick, it would move like I was barely moving the rudder stick...
After getting home, I decided to check all of my settings. I got a question for you..
What frame rate do you have set on your spartan? I had mine set at 333, 2 flashes, when programing the gyro.. After doing some reading on the servo it looks like I should have set it for the 250 setting, 3 flashes in programing mode.
Is this right?
I'm kinda lost here....
crashagain is online now Find More Posts by crashagain
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
Nitro Nutter
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashagain
I just got the spartan gyro and hyperion servo. I took out my new heli this weekend and the tail sucked. It acted like I had 50% expo in the radio, the tail held OK, but if I hammered the rudder stick, it would move like I was barely moving the rudder stick...
After getting home, I decided to check all of my settings. I got a question for you..
What frame rate do you have set on your spartan? I had mine set at 333, 2 flashes, when programing the gyro.. After doing some reading on the servo it looks like I should have set it for the 250 setting, 3 flashes in programing mode.
Is this right?
I'm kinda lost here....
I think the only servo's that can run at 333hz are the Futaba S9251, S9256 and BLS251 not too sure about the JR servo's!

On topic, If you are getting into heli's with 3d in mind down the line then I share the views of some others in saying spend a little more for a high end setup! You don't have to spend a motza any more to get outstanding performance, for instance it costs less for a GY520 and BLS251 than the 611/251 package it replaces by some $70usd.
NitroAl is offline Find More Posts by NitroAl
Last edited by NitroAl; Oct 26, 2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:32 AM
Custom Auto Upholsterer
Redding
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
I did get it figured out. It was just the frame rate setting. I got it dialed in and the tail is amazing with this setup.
Your right about the servo's, and it was something that I managed to miss in the initial setup. The servo I am using is really fast and metal geared. Many others are using this with great success.
My next change is going to be the cyclic servos. I am running the hitec 7966 digitals and they are OK but they don't have the POP that I want. I am looking at getting a set of the align 610's.
Budget is kinda tight now so it's going to be a while.
crashagain is online now Find More Posts by crashagain
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:12 AM
Nitro Nutter
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Whoops! I made a mistake in the above post, Those servo's I listed run at 560hz
NitroAl is offline Find More Posts by NitroAl