HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2009, 10:35 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Build Log
Theodora R in 1:12 Scale

Got a call from a good friend a short while ago, asked if I wanted to have a look at a sailboat he found tucked away in the Sansdia Mountains here in ABQ. I though it an odd place to find a sail boat, but thought what the heck, got nothing to loose.

As it turns out, nothing to loose was plenty to gain. What he had discovered was the Theodora R, a 35' motor sailor safely tucked away in a shed in the Tinkertown museum. The boat was owned by Fritz Damler, a local guitar maker, and is the subject of the book "Ten Years Behind the Mast", in which Mr. Damler tells the story of his ten year global treck from 1974 to 1984. A terrific story, and a great read.

The boat itself is a one-off design by Parks, built in 1936 by Cook and Sons in Maldon England. The single masted boat is 35' long on deck, with a LOA of 45'. Power is provided either by sail, or from the 40 HP Diesel engine.

The model of the TR is designed at 1:12 scale, and will be set up with both opperating sails, and a 12 volt Speed 400 motor, and is primarily of wood, though there will be a dab of plastic here and there. The drawings were done using sketches of the TR that were obtained through the Tinkertown Museum. And for those who would like to know more about it, you can visit the web site herw; http://www.tinkertown.com/
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Last edited by P. Tritle; May 03, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2009, 10:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Photos of the Full Size TR (J Palafox)

The full scale TR was photographed to be used as reference, though as the build progresses we'll have to take another trip up for a second round of detail shots. Though not sea worthy, the boat is in remarkably good shape. We also got below for a look around in the cabin as well.
Old May 03, 2009, 10:43 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Getting Started on the Build

The basic hull planswere drawn up and the major components laser cut by Manzano Laser Works. The keel was assembled, then the frames dry fitted onto the keel. Once it looked as though everything would line up OK the frame was glued to a particle board slab and the hull frames glued to the keel.
Old May 03, 2009, 10:46 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,384 Posts
Ooooo, this is going to be good!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old May 03, 2009, 10:47 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Keel Doublersand Deck Sheers are Added Next.

The deck sheers are laminated from 2 layers of 3/32 X 3/8 hard balsa. The keel doublers are of 1/8 X 1/4 hard balsa.
Old May 03, 2009, 10:55 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
The First Hint of Trouble

As with any new design, the parts fit on the p-type is never without its share of challenges. The first indication there might be a problem was when the planks started to go on. It was obvious that the former shapes were going to need some tweeking.

Planks were puled around the frames and taped in place showing where the adjustments would need to be made. The reshaping was done by either adding or removing material. Then once it was all squared away, coordinate points were recorded and the changes transfered to the drawings. Then once all that was done, the first six planks were glued in place.

Tomorrow we continue planking. There will be about 23, 1/8 X 3/8 hard balsa planks per side, if everything goes as planned. Will post up the progress as things move ahead.

PAT
Old May 03, 2009, 11:02 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Ooooo, this is going to be good!
Aero, That's exactly my first thoughts when the idea was raised to model the TR.

There have been many terrific projects come and go over the years, but I still get real excited when I can crawl on and photograph the very subject the model is built from. There's just something magic about that. And after reading the book, and knowing where this boat has been, and the things it has endured, there's an element there that simply defies description.

PAT
Old May 03, 2009, 11:14 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,181 Posts
I'm watching.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 03, 2009, 11:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
...there's an element there that simply defies description.
I understand exactly what you mean!

Looking forward to seeing this come together!
Old May 04, 2009, 08:24 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Continuing on With the Planking

Started adding more planks this morning. Now that the first 3 were in place on each side the curvature of each plank began to take on some distink curves. To prevent the glue from sticking too soon leaving the planks misaligned I switched to Carpenters glue along the edges, and Cya to tack the planks to the frames. Spring clamps were used to keep things aligned while the glue set up.
Old May 04, 2009, 08:28 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Progressing Nicely

After the first few boards went on the planks began to take on a weird curl at the stern, so a steeler was added to get things back on track. From there it was back to the standard routine for a few more planks.
Old May 04, 2009, 08:34 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
More Extreme Curves

Working toward the sheer, as things progressed, the curvature of each plank became more extreme, so I started steaming the curve into the plank before it was glued in place. A pair of blocks were glued to the work board to hold the wood for bending, and a Monocoat iron was used to steam the plank to final shape.

At this point, the RH side of the Hull is done, and there are 6 planks to go on the left. Plan to finish the rest of the planking in the morning and get the rough sanding done and the first coat of drywall mud on the surface. We'll see how that goes and post up the progress.

PAT
Old May 05, 2009, 12:05 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,384 Posts
Didn't take long for that to start looking like a boat!!!
Old May 05, 2009, 05:36 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Pat made that look pretty easy didn't he?

Nice and clean!
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old May 05, 2009, 07:12 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,401 Posts
Planking the hull has gone far better than I anticipated so far, and if it keeps going that way it won't be long before the hull can come off the board. Once the deck and bulwarks are in it'll really start to look like something.

PAT