HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2001, 02:45 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
"Old Timer" kit suggestions please

I'm not much of a builder, but I've got the itch to build an old timer, or classic looking kit. I just bought a Hummel arf but I'd like to build something that I can personalize a little more.

I'd prefer to stay with more affordable power plants such as geared 600's and such, but I might go ahead and get a geared astro setup or something like that.

Please remember that this will be my first built up type plane, so please keep that in mind. Thanks guys----Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:23 AM
secaucus,n.j.
Joined Jan 2001
48 Posts
http://www.benbucklevintage.com/
roland is offline Find More Posts by roland
Old Jul 13, 2001, 06:59 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roland:
http://www.benbucklevintage.com/
Roland
You've got real taste !
My Junior 60 is 10 years old and one day I'll convert it to electric.
I built it for the silly reason that the design is exactly as old as me (1947). It's as friendly, reliable and loveable as me too !!
A geared Speed 700 with a 10x6 prop and 10 cells would be just the job.

PS - Slowflyer :
You can build a Junior 60 quicker and easier than many ARF's !!

[This message has been edited by ChrisP (edited 07-13-2001).]
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 13, 2001, 07:05 AM
Concord, NC
Joined Jan 2001
1,044 Posts
Lanzo Bomber is a great flying oldtimer. I have had mine for a few years now, I built it from the leisure kit but Spirit of Yesteryear make it now.
J Bergsmith is offline Find More Posts by J Bergsmith
Old Jul 13, 2001, 08:05 AM
secaucus,n.j.
Joined Jan 2001
48 Posts
Slowflyer,
You've probably seen these already and they are ARF'S but maybe they can be re-covered to your taste.I'm kind of partial to the Buzzard Bombshell and the Li'l Viking.

http://nesail.com/oldtimer.htm
roland is offline Find More Posts by roland
Old Jul 13, 2001, 08:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Slowflyer
Good on you! OT's are super easy to build - you cut a stick to length, glue it to another stick and repeat

One of our group has an Astro / Spirit of Yesterday "Viking" that's a picture in the air. He has two - one is the kit size, the other is 125% "large scale" and still flies just fine on an Astro 035 and 7 or 8 cells.

The regular size would be fine on the classic MagMay reverse or "Endoplasma" and GP 'box - you don't get much cheaper than that.

The Viking is a "cabin" model, so you could doll it like a "Cub" or thereabouts. Risking offending the pundits, its a durn good looker too, IMO, whereas some OT models are very "cartoonish"

If you want to stick with the stuff you have in the Hummel, SOY also do the Viking and a couple of other OT models in "Speed 400" size.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 13, 2001, 03:56 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,563 Posts
Check out the Penn Valley Model's Quaker 54.
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jul 13, 2001, 04:53 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Here's penn valley's web site.www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com i also found another site for old timer planes&plans.www.freeflightmodels.com i think penn may get some of there planes from this site as i see a lot of the same brand names at both places.dr.E i like the 84"quaker,i've seen it twice at the ram show.i'm putting a order for a 1942 Brookyln Dodger.i want to try somethind different and i'd like to try out the translucent covering.i seen a couple at the neat fest last year and the look coooool.later stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:30 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,563 Posts
I have one of the Quaker 54's unbuilt and its a nice kit. The Viking is also very nice.

I'm trying to finish up a Powerhouse for the NEAT .
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jul 13, 2001, 10:51 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Love my Viking. Geared astro 6 turn and 7 cells really flies it with authority, Mayhem geared 2.5:1 and eight is respectiable. Great flyer, loops and rudder rolls or just relax and watch it fly itself...

Steven
Steven D is offline Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jul 14, 2001, 01:49 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
Rob, they not only look good, they fly like they belong up there. A couple of early designs that consistantly win the SAM contests are the Lanzo Bomber, and the Playboy. If you'd like to see the plans for the Bomber, I have a set that have been signed by Chet Lanzo himself. Greg Tobler has a Playboy with A geared Leasure motor and 7 cells. On it's maiden flight, one wintery morning out at Court Lane some eight years ago, he got a 42 minute flight! That was a real eye opener for me as I had just started to learn RC.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 14, 2001, 04:50 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! Now all I've gotta do is pick one out.---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Jul 15, 2001, 12:10 AM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Yeah, had a Bombshell, flew like a very good trainer, and thermalled like a sailplane after the motor quit. Same with my Long Cabin, which I found to be more "scale" like. Either of these models get away from the "cartoon" look; the designers were looking for innovative ways to control the dynamics that we now correct with radio.
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Jul 15, 2001, 08:26 AM
Central Lake, Mi. USA
Joined Jan 2001
263 Posts
I have just finished my Spirit of Yesteryear Dallaire Sportster. It went together very well as wingribs as well as formers were laser cut. I can't wait to get this one flying. Also built an Astro Viking from plans, and it flys like a dream. BTW use clear film whenever possible it is easier to apply especially with undercambered wings and looks absolutely gorgeous in the air.
Good lick in tour endeavor John Z.
John Zook is offline Find More Posts by John Zook