Old May 01, 2009, 02:28 PM
spinnaker
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
10 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger Aussie II

Jello everyone,
I saw this boat on my LHS website and when I went down and talked with them I discovered that although they don't stalk the item they can order it for me. The thing I like about this boat is its small size, many ponds here are choked with weeds and the small keel could be great for that. And it'll fit nicely in the trunk, better then my Monsoon 900 anyway. But I've looked and looked online and I can't find any info other than retailers info, which let's face it is all sunshine and roses, but we all know can be bunk. Any input would be great...
Thanks
Here's the Thunder Tiger Link:
http://www.thundertiger-europe.com/aussie2.html
magicmonkey is offline Find More Posts by magicmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2009, 09:12 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
I have one which I have not sailed yet. I have heard that it will not be a good boat for too much wind as it doesn't have much freeboard. It might be alright for lighter winds.

If you are interested in a used one cheap let me know.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old May 02, 2009, 05:34 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!!
Joined Feb 2007
451 Posts
they are a great scale model, however seriously anything more than flat water and the boat tips a long way over.

winged keel looks great however will catch ever weed at your pond!

nice display boat.

try a footy sail boat!!!

(vested interest but real impartial advice) i make the 507 footy, more so i have the 80cm fife classic (www.gospectre.com) and i did her to sail in weeded lakes here in australia!

hope that may help.
gospectredotcom is offline Find More Posts by gospectredotcom
Old May 02, 2009, 03:55 PM
spinnaker
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun

If you are interested in a used one cheap let me know.
How cheap?
Old May 02, 2009, 04:06 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
Let me pull it out and make sure I have all the pieces. $25 + ship?
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old May 03, 2009, 04:33 PM
spinnaker
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
10 Posts
Sounds like a deal.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2009
130 Posts
woo. great deal!.. oh magic, since you mention monsoon. there's this Phantom 1000 from the same makers. heard that it sails better than Monsoon 900 but is relatively cheaper.

just thought you might wnna check it out.
brainox is offline Find More Posts by brainox
Old May 10, 2009, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainox
woo. great deal!.. oh magic, since you mention monsoon. there's this Phantom 1000 from the same makers. heard that it sails better than Monsoon 900 but is relatively cheaper.

NOT the same maker.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old May 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonkey
Jello everyone,
The thing I like about this boat is its small size, many ponds here are choked with weeds and the small keel could be great for that. ]
The weed thing can be a real problem if you have a keel bulb, as it acts like a hook.

The Victor Models Soling 1/2 meter does not have a keel bulb. Neither does the one meter. (see pic below from the Victor models website) https://secure.victor-model.com/Prod...BCD96C6575770A

Perhaps if you look for boats without a keel bulb, this may help.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
51 Posts
hmm. i'm a bit confused now. i just saw that Monsoon 900 and that phantom 1000 is both made by Shunbo..
zacsparrow is offline Find More Posts by zacsparrow
Old May 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainox

Not the same maker as the Aussie II. The original topic of this thread.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:52 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,007 Posts
Going back to Aussie II, its now an old design. I found the it needed a different set of sails, the pivot arrangement of the boom needed a redesign, and the servo mount was designed by a total optimist. The fore needed some working over as well.
Its a good idea to leave most of the ornamental deck fittings off.
As built from the box, it has the usual small yacht problems - light winds fail to power it, anything more tends to knock it over. New sails improve performance, but the you need to re-do the servo mount as the first bit of wind dislodges the sail servo.
The winged keel makes a good integral stand on a windless day, but is good at gathering weed without any noticeable benefit to performance.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 31, 2009, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
The winged keel makes a good integral stand on a windless day, but is good at gathering weed without any noticeable benefit to performance.
I love that line
Old Jun 05, 2009, 12:06 AM
spinnaker
Edmonton, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
10 Posts
Okay, sounds like the Aussie 2 may not be the best. I think I might try a bulb less keeled boat instead. The monsoon that I have really is way to big for me though as I have to put the back seats of my car down to accommodate it, and that's just darn inconvenient when going to the beach with kids.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:02 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,007 Posts
One consideration should be that if the mast is stepped in the hull down to the keel, and the sails are fabric rather than semi-rigid plastic sheet, they can be carried de-rigged. With a good set-up, planting the mast and setting the rig can be as little as a couple of minutes, de-rigging the same.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02