HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2008
9 Posts
Hello!
Who can me send a scan of the article about Sprite Thermal Electric in the September 2009 issue of QEFI magazine?
Regards,
Patman
Patman13 is offline Find More Posts by Patman13
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
Wow Ploof the thing is a beut, I'll have to sneak down to Camp Korey/ 60 acres when your flying.
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Saturday I was out in the shop, and managed to find a way to fit a 4s pack into my Sprite. It was pretty cold outside, and this allowed me to separate the double sided tape holding the middle two cells together. I was trying to do this very same thing last summer, and was unable to because the tape was very malleable in the warmer temps.

I reinforced the pack with Carbon rod, and protected the exposed connections, and tabs with some of that Goop stuff. Then I popped it in, fired her up ..........SHA-ZAM...... thats what I'm talking about leaves were blowing everywhere, and she had I real robust pull.

Now all I have to do is wait for the never ending cycle of storms we've had around here to subside, I actually saw the sun this evening that did my heart good.

The over all weight gain is 3.35 oz. going from the 3s 1320mah TP packs to the 4s 2100mah TP pack, not to bad I still have to check the CG I was actually able to push the pack to the aft of the more so then the 1320mah 3s do to the 2s dimensions so the it might not be that I'll have to add much, or if the CG is just a wee bit further forward I might just let it go.

I'm pretty jazzed about this the launches should be nice, and peppy. The system really didn't heat up one bit while I was watching the leaves blow across the yard for a good 20 seconds thumbs up to that.

Ploof
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,910 Posts
I've scanned Martin Bell's excellent Sprite Thermal Electric review that was published in September 2009 QEFI magazine.

You can download it from here: http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/extras/SpriteReview.pdf

BTW this magazine is improving greatly, with much more electric and thermal gliding content, and less on foamies.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Nov 29, 2009, 03:20 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Sprite arrives!

I've just picked up my Sprite thermal-e from 'Hyperflight' here in the UK and it is a thing of beauty and joy to behold!

Now for the hard part - choosing the items to get a good, strong & balanced ship. Reading through this thread has been a great help in noticing that the Sprite can easily turn out nose-heavy if you're not careful. So thanks Ploof for your helpful photos & notes.

Had a good look at the Hyperion range of Atlas digital metal-geared servos and they look distinctly promising. I tried out a pair of their DS09AMDs (9gm/2kg-cm) which fit nicely into the tail-end and will also suite the ailerons. For the flaps the choice seems to be between their DS13TMBs (19gm/3.6kg-cm) or the DS095FMDs (18gm/4kg-cm!). The former are maybe just a little too bulky to fit snugly from initial attempts, but the DS095 slimmer wing servo looks to be just fine so I may go with those instead.

A new foaming PU adhesive from Beli-Zell looks to be a good way of locating a couple of internal foam pads either side of the servo wells in the Sprite wings just to stiffen things up a little in this area.

Quick calculation shows I should just about get good balance with a TP 2100mAh 3S Prolite pack and my geared Hacker A20-6XL if careful. I'll post photos and notes when I get round to the main assembly in a week or so.

Skip

PS. The article by Martin Bell in QEFI that Neil Stainton mentions in #49 is excellent.
SkipT35 is online now Find More Posts by SkipT35
Last edited by SkipT35; Nov 29, 2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:00 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipT35 View Post
Quick calculation shows I should just about get good balance with a TP 2100mAh 3S Prolite pack and my geared Hacker A20-6XL if careful.
I haven't done a moments calculation but I think a smaller battery may be optimal if you are using a lightweight tail extension lead. Otherwise you may need tail weight.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Nov 29, 2009, 07:59 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
I haven't done a moments calculation but I think a smaller battery may be optimal if you are using a lightweight tail extension lead. Otherwise you may need tail weight.

Neil.
Thanks for your comments on the cg balance issue Neil. Because of the comments I'd picked up here on the thread regarding balance I'd already planned to use a not-too-light tail extension harness anyway to balance this particular 2100mAh battery. (I have a couple of them already and would really like to continue to make use of them if possible). The idea I had in mind is to use a standard 3-wire extension cable (minus connectors) for one tail servo, sharing the power lines for the second tail servo along with a thinner separate signal wire. But, as you rightly say, Plan B is to use my lighter TP 3S 1500mAh lipo if Plan A doesn't fly - so to speak!

Spent most of the morning checking out the horn & linkage assemblies for good movement & binding. This is where younger fingers would definitely come in handy.

Enjoy flying

Skip
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
Hi there Skip

I ended up having to add a little tail weight with my original 3s 1320mah Thunder Power packs, but then with the more recent use of these 2100mah 4s packs I had to add just over 1 oz. this is definitely not the most optimum power system I'm using.

To use a light gauge tail harness I think is definitely well advised, there is a degree of weight savings.

I think to not adhere the tail servos till the build is complete will make it easier to install lead in the tail if needed. On my first set up I came close to balancing out with out lead.

Ploof
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,491 Posts
Skip,
Good luck with your Sprite thermal build. Not much lift now in Vermont, so I've been zooming around with my BulleT hotliner. I may have to buy gloves to keep flying

ray
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Nov 29, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:22 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their comments about balance. Your suggestion Ploof about fixing in the tail servos last to give access for any balance weight sounds a good plan.

Hi there Ray! Now the big chill has descended on Vermont I guess you're hiding indoors flying micro-helis! Flying in gloves is no fun indeed - even fingerless mittens don't solve the problem do they?

Off to buy a new Futaba 8FG Tx later today so that I'll be able to make use of the capabilities of this beautiful Sprite when it's completed.

Enjoy flying

Skip
Old Dec 04, 2009, 02:50 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
Sprite flap servo throw

Whilst waiting for my proper flap servos to arrive (Hyperion DS095TMD) I've been fiddling around with the flap throws using an old servo fitted with an 8mm arm (5/16"). Extending the brass flap knuckle as far out as possible without fouling the wing fairing I'm unable to get more than 60deg down flap. I'd rather not start filing back the wing rear spar to give more swinging room for the rod so I guess I'll need to change to say a 10mm (3/8") servo arm to get full movement.

Has this been your experience with the flap actuation (Ploof perhaps?). At the moment I've cleared away the adhesive on the rear spar to give a little more swinging space, but not having had a molded-wing model before I'm just a little nervous about filing into the spar itself

TIA and enjoy flying

Skip
Last edited by SkipT35; Dec 05, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2009, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Skip - I'm having the same issues with the flap action. Right now I have sort of a z-bend in the flap rods and I'm getting 60-70 degree swing. I think that, being a European ship, flaps were only designed for 60 deg. I heard only US pilots like/use more than 60 deg.
soarnose is offline Find More Posts by soarnose
Old Dec 04, 2009, 08:53 AM
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
I'm about to order a Sprite HOT Carbon and Blaster to compliment my Sprite ThermalE, just need for Barry to get back to me re: colors available. He just received 20 Sprites. The idea being that I can mix/match Sprite components for the best setup for the conditions. I like the idea of carbon wing/electric fuse for slope and light DS.
soarnose is offline Find More Posts by soarnose
Old Dec 04, 2009, 09:19 AM
London
Joined Dec 2003
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipT35 View Post
, but not having had a molded-wing model before I'm just a little nervous about filing into the spar itself

Skip
Don't worry about filing down this trailing edge sub spar. It is pretty common practice to have to do at least some 'relieving' to get the flap movement you need.
I have had to remove virtually all the spar on some F3j models I have put together in the past and there has never been any sign of weakness, even on a 'full monty' winch launch or when the flaps have been suddenly dropped when the model is at high speed.

I have just received my Sprite today from Hyperflight. It really is a super model.

Pete M
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:43 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,039 Posts
For the Flap I cleared away all of the subspar , and almost all of it for the Aileron.

Even with this being the case I still am only able to get around 60 degrees with the factory horns, and the flap servo arms down short enough to clear the covers.

The flaps work very well at this capacity, I have been in the habit of trying to get 90 degrees prior to this Sprite but with the factory horns installing so easily I just went with the flow.

After eyeballing my Sprite it appears that the wing is Carbon. Surprise Surprise !!

That would explain why I couldn't see threw it, I was wondering why they would put so much paint on a thermal ship.

Sometimes...... most of the time I'm not exactly all that bright. Oh well.

Ploof