SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:43 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton
I just MotoCalced your setup and it looks perfect. The efficient powertrain should give a rate of climb of about 1500ft/min, and the low weight should give excellent soaring performance, and avoid the need for tail ballast for correct balance.

Don't worry in the slightest that you are using less power. In my book you have it just right, there is no need for more power.

Neil.

1500 FPM, sweet, alot of full scale guys would drool over that (I Know I would have in the C152 with another body on board!!!)
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2006
514 Posts
Post Number 22

Please refer to Post #22 - clearly, I see a 600 foot climb (from about 50' to 650') in 14 seconds. I have seen NeuMotor powered hotliners climbing to incredible heights in a very short time. My lowly Astro 020-powered EasyStar can achieved 600 feet in 30 seconds on a very good day (I have an on-board altimeter). I think 1500 feet in one minute is not too far off. Certainly, that is beyond the comfort of my aging eyesight.

I feel comfortable with my choice based on Neu's website motor calculator. Thanks to Neil for giving me some assurances. I tried MotoCalc (trial version) and, unfortunately, I never felt confident with the results - I am sure it is that I may not have spent enough time to learn how it works.

Thanks to this forum, else I would not have learned of Sprite Thermal-e.

Please carry-on with comments and challenges.

Del Perena
San Diego, CA
delperena is offline Find More Posts by delperena
Old Jul 16, 2009, 01:42 AM
Sacramento CA
Joined Dec 2004
35 Posts
The set up I got was what Berry recommended the prop and motor are drawing 21 amps at full throttle. I have not flown it yet but it seems to have plenty of pull in my hand Tomorrow I will balance it. Right now it seems vary nose heavy. I have a 2100 3 cell. I am using 2.4 rec and it sure is stuffed in there.

BobM
rlmosher is offline Find More Posts by rlmosher
Last edited by rlmosher; Jul 16, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 06:13 AM
Stamford
Joined Nov 2004
257 Posts
The 2100 is going to be way too heavy in the pod of the Sprite.

You can check out a thread I started about mine if you want to see my solution.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1066570

I am drawing about 32amps which gives me very nice 60 degree climbs, about 7-8 seconds. You can prop down your Neu of course if you want to draw less current.

I would suggest a new TP 1350 Pro Power which looks like it would be able to be shoved all the way back in the fuse. I am sticking with my 910 Prolite V2.
However this battery only gives me four good climbs then I change the batt.

THe Neu motor is a little heavy. Barry was going to recommend a new Metal geared servo for the elevator. That shoul dhelp balance your plane out very well.
mylestone is offline Find More Posts by mylestone
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sacramento CA
Joined Dec 2004
35 Posts
Yes I did check the weight and came in at 42 oz I will check out the pro lite.
rlmosher is offline Find More Posts by rlmosher
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:06 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Hello Ploof, great looking ship and thanks for the build thread, very informative with great pics. I have been considering something along these lines (electric) and have also been looking at the electric Blaster and the Lapdancer as well. Would you mind doing a little camparitive writeup between the Sprite & Blaster? Strengths, weaknesses, flying characteristics, handling, thermaling ability, penetration, etc. I have a LightHawk II and am somewhat familiar with the DLG type plane, but not so much with the larger Sprite. I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:13 AM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,075 Posts
Hey Brian

I fly alot of DLG also, the Blaster is a great transition from DLG it flies a little heavier, and with that it flies faster, and deals with windy conditions better.

I still haven't flown the Sprite alot, but every time I do it blows me away. It weighs up kinda heavy, but works lift amazingly well and penetrates awesome.

I don't think you'd in any way be disappointed with the Blaster, it's truly a top notch aircraft like the Light Hawk.

Ploof
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:15 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Thanks Ploof, I really appreciate it. Decisions decisions.

Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
Last edited by buildscapeinc; Jul 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:23 AM
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
42 Posts
Sprite power train

Gents,

I am about to order this plane.
It looks really good and should match my dlg blaster well.

I still have a Hacker B20-15L 4:41 setup lying around.
Would this work for this plane?
I am looking for a nice thermal plane so no hotliner setup is needed.
Edwin is offline Find More Posts by Edwin
Last edited by Edwin; Sep 02, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:29 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,928 Posts
Yes, I think the Hacker B20-15L will be okay. MotoCalc estimates that using a lightweight 3S pack the plane will climb at a reasonable 1370 ft/min (7 m/s) on a 11x6. (A 10x7 may also be worth trying.) You will probably have to use lightweight extension leads and tail servos to get it to balance. Let us know how you get on.

I have some in stock. :-)

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Sep 03, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
Hey Ploof

I have just finished building my Sprite, yet to maiden... hopefully this weekend - great thread has been very helpful.

I found the cg a pain, I ended up adding just over an ounce in the tail (I hate that), with a hacker A20 geared motor. I could have gone less but I have found a 4s Rhino 25c 1550 mah battery at hobby city (93mm x 28mm x 33mm) and they slot strait in, leaving heaps of room and weigh around 6 ounces. I also bought some 3s Rhinos 30c 1050 mah at around 4 ounces which allows me to reduce the lead in the tail, but I am thinking the power to weight will be worth it. I am planning on using a 11 x 8 prop with the 4s... Hopefully this weekend will tell this story.

My question - did you follow all their preset cambers? I would be interested to know what yours are?

Regards

Andy
Andy76 is offline Find More Posts by Andy76
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:01 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,928 Posts
Sprite Thermal Electric models have been doing quite well in UK electric gliding comps. Their placings AFAIK, are:
UK Nationals 2m eSoaring: 2nd and 4th
5th Southern BMFA eSoaring: 2nd (top 2m)
5th Midlands BMFA eSoaring: 3rd (top 2m)

Also there is an informative review of the Sprite Thermal Electric in the September 2009 issue of QEFI magazine.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,075 Posts
Here are a few fairly recent shots of me flying the Sprite.

Ploof
Last edited by ploof; Oct 18, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 08:16 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Feb 2009
283 Posts
As Neil Stainton mentioned in post #42, Sprites are doing quite well in the UK's 200m eSoaring league - so much so that I've sold my 2m Pulsar and ordered one! The downside is that they are currently on back order so it may well be a month or so before I can start assembly (hardly a 'build' is it?) In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my recently-acquired Ava-e.

So thanks for the thread and I shall study it carefully for tips, hints and pratfalls.
Enjoy flying.

Skip
SkipT35 is offline Find More Posts by SkipT35
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,075 Posts
I was kinda bummed I didn't put more into this thread.

With our two young children running around. I spent as much of my free time as possible installing gear, and didn't put much time into photographing details.

I fallowed the recommended set up very closely, and only had to add a little lead to the very aft part of the tail, and the CG, and throws, worked out very well. When it comes to thermal ships I don't much care for pushing back the CG.

I'm looking forward to the next time I get to fly it again.

Ploof