+1
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
765 Posts
manuals

Hi Bill,

there may be people with big monitors and fast laptops on their work benches, who are happy just clicking on your downloadable manuals when they need to refer to one. That way, they're always seeing current info. Me, I'm from old school and I work from a stack of paper manuals. I don't mind printing the stuff out, but occasionally I find that a revision (or three ) has slipped by me.

It would be great if you could list the current version number and date beside each manual link. As it is now, unless I'm missing something, you have to download the .pdf file to see if there's a more recent version that you haven't seen. Also, unless I haven't found it, I don't think you have a history page for the manuals like you do for the software? That would be nice also - you could see what the changes are with a new manual, and if it's not something you're concerned about, maybe you can save time and paper, by staying with the older version for a while.

Finally, it there a thread where you announce manual revisions, like you do with the software? If now, how about handling both in one thread. And there again, if you could give a brief summary of the new change, we could decide whether we need to download the new immediately, or let it ride for a bit. Also, as far as I can tell right now, there's no way to find the new material in a manual without comparing them line by line.

More work for you, obviously. I don't know how you guys accomplish what you do. Cheers,

Stu
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. We are (slowly) making changes to the website to improve things. A recent addition was the dropdown buttons along the top of each page, which puts our site in the 21st century.

Re the software and manual revisions, unfortunately there's not (yet) a good way for us to change the actual names of these, since there are a lot of links to the existing names. All those links, including links on 3rd party sites, would need to change each time we changed the file name.

That said, we've created a thread that gets updated whenever a new software version is available (it's a sticky thread here). Misfire, we could do the same for the manuals, but those get updated at different rates, and it would probably not be practical to have a thread for each of them. It will be a lot less of a challenge to just add the revision next to the manual -we'll try to do that!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Misfire, we could do the same for the manuals, but those get updated at different rates, and it would probably not be practical to have a thread for each of them. It will be a lot less of a challenge to just add the revision next to the manual -we'll try to do that!
That sounds good - you could give the version number and release date. But did you catch my comment about having a page on the website where you give the revision history for the manuals, like you have for the software?

Example: I downloaded one revision last week - the OSD Pro I think - and it took a lot of time and effort just finding the changes - you might remember, all it was was the language change relating to the types of failsafes available in R/C Tx's - you deleted the reference to PCM radios? Not something that made the slightest difference to me. But I felt I had to look, in case it was something important that did affect me. Just a quick summary I could have checked on the website would have saved me lots of time.
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Dec 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Misfire,

Ah, I see what you are suggesting. I'd like us to do that, but I don't think we'll be able to practically. The problem is that manuals are updated one by one, and then "wholesale updated" to the web periodically. And, the changes are sometimes fairly extensive, with new features, etc.

However, what we can do is keep a change log within the manual itself, with a table of the changes.

What I do for similar issues is to use a software comparison tool that works on PDFs. It's not an elegant solution, but does save manual comparison.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:09 PM
Carlisle UK
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Hi Bill

How about having some downloadable ptf's so new users can try out example files from various sensors before they have purchased all the options.

Steve
sg sailing is offline Find More Posts by sg sailing
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:22 AM
Westlake Village, CA
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Never mind.....
Androgeny is offline Find More Posts by Androgeny
Last edited by Androgeny; Mar 06, 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Figured it out.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Steve, looks like I missed your post before. What is a PTF?

Androgeny, glad you figured stuff out, but let me know if we can change something on the website to make things more obvious.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:52 PM
Carlisle UK
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Steve, looks like I missed your post before. What is a PTF?

Androgeny, glad you figured stuff out, but let me know if we can change something on the website to make things more obvious.
Sorry Bill must have too many file types here

I must have meant FDR files, just examples of logged files so new users can for example load a sample GPS, EGT,RPM file into their software to try things out.

Steve
sg sailing is offline Find More Posts by sg sailing
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:14 AM
MikroKopter happy
Alicante (Spain)
Joined Sep 2008
304 Posts
Hello, I just bought a ET V3 data logger, and find the absence (or, if there is one, the easy availability) of a FAQ section, on your pages, a bit setbacking.
careful_mike is offline Find More Posts by careful_mike
Last edited by careful_mike; Apr 11, 2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:33 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
How about a history of the manual releases, I have to download a manual to see if the revision number changed or not.
Regards Volker
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
22 Posts
How about a collection of jpg photos of successful setups of various sensors in different models. I realize it would be a large collection necessarily broken down to airplane, sailplane, car, boat, and heli. Even a site where owners could post examples of there successful setups would help. Eagletree could run a disclaimer that the following are owner's posts and not any recommendation by Eagletree.
Thanks,
Don
dicharry is offline Find More Posts by dicharry
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Volker, looks like I missed your post before, sorry. I think we'll be able automate something that will display the # next to the link. It will be similar to whatever solution we come up with for displaying the setup version discussed on the other thread.

Don, great idea! I've started this "stuck" thread for this purpose. This also links to a page on our website that has a few of these.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:57 PM
Superior creation science
Roan Mountain, TN
Joined Sep 2008
24 Posts
Wanna buy

Ok Bill, thanks for asking. I see the RTH, "return to home" feature mentioned when I go to the OSD Pro page but you never explain what that is exactly.

The problem with everybody in this hobby is that they always seem to think that I (the customer) know everything you (the vendor) know. I don't know what "failsafe" is, I don't know what "RTH" really means. I'm hoping this means that if you lose receiver sync with the transmitter that the plane levels out and tries to return to the lat/long of the launch point. This means that it must somehow connect to the receiver and the servos? If this is the case, how does that work? I'd like to see the connections that are required either in a photo or a video.

The point here is that if you have a feature you need to thoroughly explain that on the website. There's an awful lot of people like me who are new to this hobby and don't have access to people who know this stuff. And reseller websites are worse than the vendors because they seem to assume the vendors can explain it. So the newbie is left feeling like an ignoramus.
dougclind is offline Find More Posts by dougclind
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Doug, thanks for that feedback. RTH is a complex topic, and you are correct about the lack of details on our website. We'll figure out how to explain that more, but keeping it brief. As a quick fix, I've added a link to the manual at the top of the OSD Pro page.

The best source of info about RTH is in the manual, here. Do let me know if you have any other questions about it (probably best to post those in this thread).
Site Sponsor