Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:58 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Discussion
Guiness World Record> Worlds Smallest Motor

Check this out...

Jos d’Haens from Belgium is a jack of all trades whose resume is too long to print in a short news item like this. From economist to CEO of a circuit board factory, from designing micromechanical devices for medical applications to developing a microcalculator, he did it all. To cap it all, Jos has been an Elektor reader since issue # 1.

Even in his retirement Jos is still very active in electronics and technology. In his well equipped workshop he can be found enjoying his hobby: making micromotors, of which the first was built by him 50 years ago. These early motors found use in medical applications that earned worldwide acclaim. Recently, Jos constructed a ‘handmade’ miniature electromotor, he claims is the smallest mechanical motor in the world.

A few months ago Jos reported his remarkable construction to Guinness World Records, hoping his achievement would be recognised as the smallest electromotor in the world. And hey presto, after a long wait GWR sent Jos an official certificate proving that his micromotor represents a new world record and that it will be listed as such in the next edition of the Guinness Book of Records.

Some specifications of the motor:

Diameter: 1.65 mm
Length: 0.90 mm
Weight: 9.8 mg
Volume: 1.92 mm³
Operating voltage: 0.350 V
Operating current: 25 mA
Speed adjustable from 600 to 6000 rpm

The Elektor editorial team congratulates Jos on his fantastic achievement. In the September 2009 edition we hope to publish an extensive description of the way the motor is constructed and driven by electronics.
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:21 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,472 Posts
Wow, so when do the 1" span plantraco planes come out? That is a serious acheivement, though I thought that some chip manufacturer had managed to build motors so small you need a microscope to see them and an electron microscope to see the parts?
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:56 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,356 Posts
Wow, nice. Definitely hard to work with 100 gauge magnet wire for winding the motor.
I wonder if it is a brushless motor or not? Outrunner?
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
Wow, so when do the 1" span plantraco planes come out? That is a serious acheivement, though I thought that some chip manufacturer had managed to build motors so small you need a microscope to see them and an electron microscope to see the parts?
Ive seen those micro wafer type motors as well, don't know why this guy got the record? Perhaps the other people didn't apply to the Guiness World Records!!!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 05:48 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Wow, nice. Definitely hard to work with 100 gauge magnet wire for winding the motor.
I wonder if it is a brushless motor or not? Outrunner?
I think it's brushless, i think it's an inrunner?

If you read the article here they say that they will be posting how he made it in their september edition.

http://www.elektor.com/news/elektor-..._campaign=news
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:12 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,138 Posts
Excellent! I've got the plane for it .
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:35 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Alright! We've got the motor and a plane, now we throw in one of Koichi's ultra tiny receivers, install a little actuator, and then we just need to develop an esc small enough.

Really awsome little motor though! I can't believe how tiny it is!
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old May 01, 2009, 02:29 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
Excellent! I've got the plane for it .
LMAO... That's what i'm talking about!!!

Ive seen your micro glider once before and now you have a use for it.
Old May 01, 2009, 03:15 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
i think the motors you guys are talking about that are silicon, are not electro magnetic motors but a different type. this motor is made by hand not stereo lithography or anything like that. so for a guy in his home workshop, 1mm is incredible!!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 01, 2009, 04:02 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Derk: No one here has been talking about the silicon motors, i think your referring to the other thread that was created yesterday about the silicon motors.
Old May 01, 2009, 09:32 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
I thought that some chip manufacturer had managed to build motors so small you need a microscope to see them and an electron microscope to see the parts?
this is what i was referring to. i thought this was the silicon motors that were about the size of a single living cell.
either way, this is cooler
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 01, 2009, 09:52 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,177 Posts
I thought the worlds smallest motor required an electron microscope to see it.

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old May 05, 2009, 01:18 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,179 Posts
At least it is for sure the smallest home wound motor..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil