SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
Crash? Landing? Both?
Bay area in CA
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Help!
Could someone show me an arf plane that would work with this motor?

Hello all,

I saw this cheap engine and thought it was a somking deal!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...e_Glow_Engine_

Could someone give me a link to a plane that would work with this engine?
(I am new to gas planes.)

Thanks for the help!!
-stuntflier91-
stuntflier91 is offline Find More Posts by stuntflier91
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:44 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
First, that is a glow engine (also known as a nitro engine) NOT a gas engine.

Glow or nitro engines burn a fuel that is a mix of methanol, nitromethane, and oil.

Gas egnines run a mixture of gasoline and oil (like a weed whacker).

Look for a trainer designed for a .15 - .25 or so engine, and this engine should work. I don't know of any ARF trainers that small. Most are designed for .40 - .46 size engines.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,214 Posts
Have you heard of the good, fast, cheap rule? cheap can equal not good or fast.....I have heard of ASP and what it stands for in slang.....be very careful.....not alot of folks fly ASP
Good Luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:32 PM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
988 Posts
There used to be a trainer called "Happy Fly" from World Models, it was really designed for a 20 but your engine might fly it if you can find one.

Other than that, the British company Flair, make a vintage/old timer ARF called the Junior 60 which will probably fly on a 15. This is quite an iconic model which first flew in 1946 in free flight form.

However, you're into aerobatics as your website handle suggests, neither of these models would impress you.

You'd be better off buying a 40 or larger engine.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Isnt an OS 25 LA like 65 bucks? It doenst make sense to me to save 25 bucks on an engine with the arf, and all associated electronics and hardware are still going to cost you another $250.

Or you could put it in a SPAD.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old May 01, 2009, 01:12 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
988 Posts
Sorry Stunt,

I took your engine to be a 15 and not a 25.

Your engine will certainly fly either of the two models recommended in my earlier post.

Another alternative is the JP Jumper, a 50" or so trainer imported into the UK a year or two ago. It was never popular being too small and fast for most beginners but if you really are a "Stunt Flyer" it could be suitable.

Finally there is the Chris Foss Uno Wot. This is a great trainer by an iconic British designer. You will see his designs at every British model flying field. The Uno Wot flies well and is pretty aerobatic, it was my second model years ago. Trouble is you have to build it and cover it yourself

However, I'm sure you'll be able to find people to help you with that and as the model has a foam wing and sheet balsa fuselage and tail, there's not much to the build.

Finally I understand that Chris is offering an ARTF model called the "Wot 4 Trainer" but I don't know much about it nor what size engine the model requires. Try Googling Chris Foss Models and see what you come up with. There may well be an American agent.

Happy Landings
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old May 01, 2009, 10:20 AM
Crash? Landing? Both?
Bay area in CA
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the help guys, it is greatly appreciated!!
-stuntflier91-
stuntflier91 is offline Find More Posts by stuntflier91
Old May 01, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Just be sure you break it in properly. A less expensive engine might be a bit more complicated to get running right !
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old May 04, 2009, 09:39 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflier91
Hello all,

I saw this cheap engine and thought it was a somking deal!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...e_Glow_Engine_

Could someone give me a link to a plane that would work with this engine?
(I am new to gas planes.)

Thanks for the help!!
-stuntflier91-
dear stunt flyer
i own three of these engines that i bought when a local club closed its community shop a year ago
they are very reliable with quick throotle response and for the power produced are not that heavy at all but id go with a 8x4 prop at best till it is really well broken in

break in takes a bit longer but dont be put off by that because i believe 2 out of the 3 i have have better compresion than similar os engines and enya which is rare

cheap is not always bad and bad is not always cheap remember that

ive paid 200 buck for engines i would not use as door stops
and ive gotten 60 size engines on ebay in perfect working order from major companies for less than 30 plus shipping wait till you find the best engine for what you want to achieve at the price you wanna pay
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old May 06, 2009, 02:05 PM
D.C. Areas
Joined Oct 2005
75 Posts
Yeah nothing wrong with the ASP's, and at that price you can pick up two for the price of one more expensive engine.
opjose is offline Find More Posts by opjose