SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2009, 05:40 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Simple Motor Mount

Heres the simple motor mount ive been using,light ply but anchored into the foam with some bamboo skewers.. orginally i used tooth pics but after the stress testing with the plane way overpowered i figured i should make the mount a bit more bulletproof. The original method worked.. the foam broke off and pulled the mount off with it. You can use what ever works though,building up the area around the nose with extra foam or adding light ply skin so to speak around the nose will work to give it more surface area to spread the force and bond to. Heres some pics to give you a better idea.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; May 11, 2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: corrected text in pic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
PDF doc

Here you all go...THANKS again Getreal.... you da man!
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Old May 11, 2009, 12:39 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
steely dan, this PDF is not to scale....
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Old May 11, 2009, 10:07 PM
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
My abilities are limited with scaling, I just simply had one of my programmers convert this in the dxf form to a PDF file. I do not have the knowledge to scale sorry
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Old May 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
let me see what I can do...
Old May 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Thanks for the plans. Not familar with DXF files but can open the pdf fine. Just a note,the rudder height is 12 and 1/4'' tall but the plans are very close and are great overall,its easy to tweak the design more to your flying style. Not difficult to give the ailerons more surface area or enlarge rudder length etc to your liking. Gonna take it out for a couple quick flights to check the thrustline and make sure the plane is fine after the repair . The motor seems fine inside during static run ups but better to see how it does in the air,in about a week i should have some revisions done for the original and get some flying in with it,still need to get some parts to get it done(should have them by next week). I might have some pics and probally some video from todays flights .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
Get Real, the print settings on the dxf have it set to print at 8.5 x 11 (letter size paper) which is incorrect...someone needs to get the print scale right on the pdf...I am looking into it, but I think someone else with more pdf & tiled pdf experience would be able to do it faster...
Old May 12, 2009, 08:22 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer
Get Real, the print settings on the dxf have it set to print at 8.5 x 11 (letter size paper) which is incorrect...someone needs to get the print scale right on the pdf...I am looking into it, but I think someone else with more pdf & tiled pdf experience would be able to do it faster...
Don't know if I qualify as having more PDF & tiling experience...but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before...

Anyway...the PDF attached is at 100% scale - KevBeer - I moved some things around a little and dropped the dims off - forgive the edits!

I *THINK* my version of Adobe Acrobat Designer will allow me to tile this baby down to "Letter" size or 11x17...unfortunately I'm at home, not at work. In the meantime if anyone wants to mess with this...well...here it is. Not sure it helps.

P.S. if I think of an even-more funky way to do this I'll post it.
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old May 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
OR...you can try this...

Tiling Instructions

Cool thing about the Posterazer program is that you can define your final "poster" size. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, it doesn't print alignment marks.

At full scale - with some clever printing - you might be able to output this on 50 "letter-sized" sheets - If you decide not to be clever about your printing...then it 70 sheets.

Of course - bigger paper...well... you get the idea...

Below are tiled PDFs of the file I edited - it's not KevBeer's original file...but it's gosh darn close...If you want, say, a 126" version of this plan...well...you'll have to download the above mentioned programs and tile away...
Old May 13, 2009, 01:13 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
thanks cfisher!
Old May 13, 2009, 04:02 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Im sure all these formats are great,ive just never built a foam plane from plans. Looking forward to seeing some of these,if someone builds them be sure and post some feedback with pics and video if you can. Im interested in the likes and dislikes people have about the plane after they fly it. A couple strips of foam cut at a 45 to go along the fuselage will stiffen up the design,its a popular way of making foamy fuselages more rigid but its not a nessesity for slow and floaty flying. I got one quick flight on it again today before i had to leave. It was a bit windy at times,i'll have the video posted later.

GRX-V1 Test Flight With Xoar 13x6 Prop 5-12-2009 (7 min 8 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; May 13, 2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added video
Old May 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Get Real...Dude...I was just gonna PM you...but then I figured I'd splash it here instead...

For those that don't know...I picked up GR's proto shown in the start of this thread on Friday (sans gear) and threw a bunch of my old spare hardware onto it...my other gear was;
4 x HS-65s
pull-pull rudder with spare 3DHS phenolic arms on rudder servo & elevator
Turnigy 3536-1100 motor
AR6100
CC45
APC 11x6 prop - this is subject to change but my next step was 12x8.

Amp draw with 3S 2200 was about 36ish so I've got room.

It was THE most fun I've ever had with a chunk of insulation! Once I got over the embarrassment of walking through the baseball crowd with this big Ol' Owens Corning Advertisement - I got her up and going. 1/2 Throttle and off she went.

For me...what a great training tool. I was used to big rudder requirements...with the side area on this thing you almost don't need one! Ended up one of the pull-pull anchors wasn't fastened tight...it popped out so I couldn't fly more. That'll be fixed in about 3 sec when I find the right nut.

Never flew flat foam before - what a blast - talk about NO PRESSURE flying - Get Real - Boy, you rock Dude!

No video from today, maybe this afternoon...but really...my flying doesn't compare so much with GR's anyway...so check his out and you'll get the idea.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:57 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
great plans, i could scale it down to 35" and 38" for the people that want to use 2208 and 2215-7 motors
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old May 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
great plans, i could scale it down to 35" and 38" for the people that want to use 2208 and 2215-7 motors
Yeah...at 48" w/s it takes a lotta room in the folded down back seat. But it's always a puzzle when I have to stick more than 1 plane back there.

I have no other profile bird to compare it to - but at the current size - I still have a smile. Who'da thought!
Old May 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Cfisher,Glad your having fun with it,If the pink is a little embarassing.. you can always cut one out of blucore or paint that one(didnt have any bluecore when i went to the home center). Embarassing... Kinda like a dude at a hobby shop wearing a santa hat in the the spring huh? . Might spray a paint job on the next one.. made some revisions for more manueverability and less pattern like flight characteristics .

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
A 37''-39'' depron version would rock.. 13-15 oz depending on gear probally and good size for 125-150 watt set ups . Even at 48'' the original can be flown in small areas easily though.. scaling it down to a suitable size and weight for your power set ups is cool,i'll probally have some pics next week or so of the revised version.. Still thinking about a 48'' byp version as well,have another sheet of foam for that already if i decide to do more of these this year.
RCG Plus Member