HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2009, 02:19 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
More Video

Went to show a buddy a couple planes,ended up talking about rc and fullscale construction and flying etc.. He's always taken back at how rc planes fly . The ''Noggin Cam'' went dead after a minute or so into the flight so i landed and put new batterys in,this was the planes third flight so far.

GRX V1 48'' 3D Scratchbuilt Foamy Third Flight 5 4 2009 (6 min 36 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2009, 11:49 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
sorry guys...I have been busy and haven't gotten it finished. I am using pro-e wildfire 4.0. I will generate step and dxf layout, and I would appreciate if someone could convert this to pdf and tile it and stuff.

Hopefully have something done by the end of the week. Only reason i had time to work on it before was cause the GF was out of town...she's back and now I am OWNED heheh.

Get real, thanks for the measurements, they should do it...
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Old May 05, 2009, 02:59 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Let me know if you need more measurements,i should have a couple more cut out by the weekend then im gonna start on another 48'' design.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2009, 04:36 PM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Cali
Joined Jun 2008
282 Posts
If you really like the 48 inch size I created a whole 48 inch series for mike at DW foamies a year ago, if you clik under the 48 inch Juka where it says video I list the gear used . Avg all up weight is 27-29 oz
http://www.dwfoamies.com/

New DW 48 inch Foamie (3 min 21 sec)
Joethefloorman is offline Find More Posts by Joethefloorman
Old May 05, 2009, 05:47 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joethefloorman
If you really like the 48 inch size I created a whole 48 inch series for mike at DW foamies a year ago, if you clik under the 48 inch Juka where it says video I list the gear used . Avg all up weight is 27-29 oz
http://www.dwfoamies.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5Gv...eature=channel
Thanks,i have a 55'' baf gen-x.. a bit to light for me. Great plane all the same and works on the same gear as this one and the 48'' dw ones. Owens comes in 8x4 sheets so 48'' ws made sense to start. Also thinking of 46'' to get more snapping ability out of them at a higher loading for 3d pattern styles and more of a balsa plane feel. When plans are posted of the original people can scale up or down for gear they have and expierment with different loadings and flight characteristics.. 48'' has good presence in the air and a very floaty feel with the half inch. This plane could fly lighter but its fine for me on 4s at 34 oz. The owens pink is $8.00 a sheet so it doesnt hurt to experiment.

The 55'' gen-x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7d5L...e=channel_page
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2009, 07:48 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
Get Real-- is the vertical fuse one piece? is the wing one piece? looks from the pics that the wings and horizontal nose and most of horizontal fuse aft of the wings is halves? ack...probably a confusing way to ask that question...

if you can take some pics of the pieces before they are assembled, I can copy that. Otherwise, I can devise a good way for it to come together, but rather just copy what you did...really, with 1/2 inch bonding edges, it will be plenty strong whichever way you go...
Old May 05, 2009, 08:39 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
here are some pics of the progress--and some images for reference in answering my questions. NOTE THAT I HAVE NOT FINE TUNED THE SHAPE YET!!!! I will ask you for input on that later if need be...

question 1: how do you want to cut horizontal fuse (the grey piece with all the messy lines)? use the line numbers to help you expain...

more questions to come...cinco de mayo time !!!
Old May 05, 2009, 11:25 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Sorry i was out for a while,Thats coming out awesome.

The construction and cut outs are just as you have in the renderings.. the horizonatl tail on it is actually a seperate piece only because i decided to enlarge it,started out just like your renderings(it was one piece,wing,horizonatl fuselage,horizontal stab to begin with though).. I planned to make it keyed just as you have in the renderings but do to the thickness of material and use of pu glue i skipped it on this one,just as you noted it goes together fine but would make straight assembly easier as shown in your renderings for others. On the vertical fuselage i used a 4 foot straight edge to cut out a 1/2 inch channel in the center roughly up to where the cut out is for elevator movement. The cad work is awesome,exactly how id design the construction if i had cad and knew how to use it,its a popular method for most foamys ive seen,i cut my first little profile depron 3d plane out the old way with seperate wing butted and slotted under horizontal fuselage,easier to align the tail and cut and common way of doing it but i feel its better as one piece.. less drag,less weight,and if cut perfect no alignment issues during assembly from wing tip to stabs. Thanks so much for doing this,The guys at the shop were interested in the plane to,i brought a couple planes to the shop.. little biplane and this one to show them how they came out and did a quick demo behind the shop,video coming later.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2009, 12:22 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
Ok Get Real...I will just use my common sense and experience designing profile foamies...I will think it through and come up with something that will work well for both strength, weight, and ease of assembly. I will certainly run it by you a few more times so we can iron out the details...and of course a final check through to make sure the shape is as you want it.

talk later...
Old May 06, 2009, 12:44 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Sounds good,heres the video from today.

48'' GRX-V1 Quick Demo Behind The Shop 5-5-2009 (5 min 26 sec)

Update:
Might be able to get two of these cut out from one 8x4 sheet of foam,this was just a quick trace of the rough original but i think if you did the tail section seperate you could get two out of one sheet with out wasting foam,theres a four foot straight edge ruler next to the sheet. Even if the overall length of the plane was a couple inches shorter to get two planes from one sheet i think it would be worth it,the plane tracks fine and a shorter tail moment would give it even more yaw authority for hovering,stall turns etc, but ofcourse compromise harrier a little by disturbing a bit more airflow to the tail,in harrier it rocks a little mostly do to my twitchy thumbs but also lateral balance haveing the lipo on one side,with the lipo im running if i did a cut out to center it in the mid section that would take care of itself.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; May 06, 2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Updating
Old May 07, 2009, 01:06 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
Ok Guys...about done (I hope). I will leave it up to the individual builder to decide how to cut the pieces for assembly, but I suggest 1-piece horizontal fuse and wing, and cut the vertical fuse dead in half, as shown by the template...final template will be in wireframe of course...

see pics...let me know an additional changes you want...
Old May 07, 2009, 01:15 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Thats awesome. Looking forward to seeing pics and videos from people that try these. If its not much trouble i figured i might as well give it a name since your making the plans so it has some type of referance if someone asks about it.. GRX-V1.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2009, 01:29 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
I like the name...any comment on the details of the shape? I have it pretty much modeled after your design, but only by eye's accuracy...the only suggested change I would make is to move the centerline up a tad such that there is equal vert fuse area above the centerline and below the centerline...for knife edge balancing...really though, should fly great as is...

truth be told I dont even have a car big enough to transport this!!!

fun making it though...but lets keep the fine tuning to a minimum so i can end this project.

Nice plane dude!
Old May 07, 2009, 01:32 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,065 Posts
also, I suggest to sand leading edges of wing and tail surfaces to a nice round...would make a difference in looks and flight quality...half inch is thick enough foam so that it is worth the effort...no need to do this step with 3mm depron of course!
Old May 07, 2009, 01:38 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,987 Posts
Looks great to me,very valid suggestion and feel free to incorporate it into the plans if you like.. i did the centerline as well as the sweeping under the tail moment to make harrier turns somewhat more flat and needing less counter aileron imput(ofcourse that compromises knife edge somewhat though). If its a bit to big for you to transport im sure scaling it down slightly would work. Put a fork in it,its great.. i didnt have any thoughts of making this one for plans but as is its a pretty good flyer overall and has been recieved well by those that have seen it fly. Now to get thoughts and feedback from others who fly it .

Yep... did some slight contouring of the edges,guy at shop thought i cut it out with a hotwire cutter,told him nope.. just a box cutter and i smoothed the edges slightly .
RCG Plus Member