HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:14 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
That came out really nice,like the contouring on the fuse.. the owens shapes well with light grit sandpaper. Ive used clear packing tape on the leading edges of some planes as well for ding and hanger rash protection. Servo layout etc looks nice and clean to,looks like you spent some time on the equipment layout and the little details but it really shows overall. One suggestion,if your happy with the planes balance and dont plan on running any other equipment you can cut a slot out in the fuse for the pack so the weight is centered and bring the esc closer to the centerline. With all the component weight on one side of the fuse youll notice the left wing tip usually stalls first.. especially at slower speeds for landing etc.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Thanks and great suggestion on the battery mounting

Edit -- I changed the battery mounting to the way you suggested and it flys much better. Rolls are tighter and more uniform. Thanks again
zip308 is offline Find More Posts by zip308
Last edited by zip308; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Tinkering with this one lately,gentle on lighter power set ups and pretty wicked on 3s set ups(picture was taken a while back).
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:30 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Video from over the summer,posted it last month finally. Currently have a lighter 2s one on the table since winter and indoor season is coming up quick. Was lucky enough to finally fly indoor early in the year but not sure if that venue will be open this season.. was a great place to test flight performance in perfect conditions without the wind throwing anything into the mix on other planes.

EPP 3s Testing At Lake.. Breezy (7 min 19 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,151 Posts
Thinking about building a GRX 34" out of 9mm EPP. Does anyone know the location for the CG. Thanks
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:36 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
I never established a CG range for this plane,people liked it and i added some info and build tips etc but i currently haven't built any of the original in a couple years or more. The original was in owens pink with a 48'' wingspan back in 2009 but many tried it in different foams and smaller sizes. For the original grx start at about 30% back from the leading edge of the wing and adjust to your liking from there.. its a relatively safe starting point for most but you will probably move the pack back a little after initial flights. Hope that helps but like i said the original grx is from 2009 and i dont have any here to reference but could give general set up info and links to gear for a 34'' size one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Some power set up stuff i was trying out in the yard.
EPP Plane Being Tested With RCPB Power Combo (2 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
492 Posts
Have any plans for the Slicko?
Nooflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nooflyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
The slicko isnt mine,no plans available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
168 Posts
I have finished the 48"yak just need to paint it
reaper gr35 4 hs65mg 40a esc 2200mah &1800mah 4s batterys
and some old landing gear from a 47"ef extra and robart hinges ally the way around

flys good took it out today for a few flights in a 15-20 mph wind
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Glad your enjoying it,the original 48'' yak was a lot different than the 32'' one the plans are for but its a decent plane overall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
168 Posts
Real thanks it was a fun build
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:36 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Doing some indoor flying this week so I wanted to get some flying in before i go since ive flown very rarely this winter so far. This is one of the planes i was working on over the summer. 5.5oz with a common power set up and 460 2s pack,under 5oz with lighter gear.

House Flying EPP Proto 3D Plane (3 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Hey Get Real, just checking in here. Have been doing a number of other projects this past year including two scratch built balsa vintage pattern ships.

Reactivated my old #1 GRX-S (S=(S)mall 34" ws) and set it up for my 7 year old grandson who has been flying an Easy Trainer. Almost did not go out this morning as it was blowing 10mph gusts to 15, but he did real well with it and even did his first aileron roll. I could have had him flying the GRX-S last year, but thought it would be too much for him. Forgot how well this plane flies and will start flying my 2nd "S" one which has never been flown. I dismantled the blue foam 42" GRXs and plan on building new ones, but do a much cleaner job with them, now that I know how to work with Gorilla glue.

Nice indoor flying...I am still not good enough in 3D to do that. How far back is your CG? There is a better way to trim a prop down, though!!

SpadCat

PS found the CG answer in above post. Got to catch up reading this thread.
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:38 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,914 Posts
Update/Multi Rotors And Efest

Glad the little one enjoys flying the GRX. Didnt do much scratch building with planes so havent had much to update here. Went to Efest and after that built my first 450 size quad and started building scratch built tricopters,building another frame tricopter tonight and maybe a quad frame if I have time. An alternative that will probably work well for insulation foam is Beacon Foam Tac. I finally ordered some and its worked well on the epp stuff ive used it for and is suppose to be safe for various foams but I havent used it on owens yet. Ive been busy with multirotors and some plane stuff,might make a thread like this for the multirotor scratch building ive been doing and stuff ive learned etc. Been windy all day here,and snowing so no outdoor flying for me today.

A couple of the Tricopters I built more recently.

The Green Machine 28'' T-Copter (3 min 7 sec)

Tricopter 2208 1450kv Suppos And 18 Amp Suppo ESC's (2 min 11 sec)

28'' Tricopter For Shooting RC Video (1 min 54 sec)

Tried a TV motor mount recently to.. Tons more yaw authority
RCPB Slicko 2 EPP Proto With TV Mount (3 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member