SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Looking forward to building one of these.
This is my simple solution for cutting the 45* for control surface hinge points.
The piece of wood was scavenged from some used kitchen cabinets.
I tape the foam down and use a T-square as a straight edge.
I use scrap foam to get the set up adjusted.
This method allows the control surface movement to be symmetrical.
I use double sided tape and apply it like the we used to do CL dish cloth hinges.
Then a layer of "paper tape" (first aid aisle ) to cover the exposed sticky side of the tape. The paper tape although very light has the strength of Tyvec.
I chose this method after discovering I can only program differential in the wrong direction when the hinge point is on top of the wing. The other choice was to create a mechanical device to provide equal swing. That would require math or trial and error. Most likely more error for me. Hope this can be of use or inspire an even easier way.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
Quick flight after some changes.
Yakzilla With Aileron Changes (4 min 42 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Axial Yeti XL SPY Video!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
Trying out some things,good thing its epp.

Quick flight at dusk (4 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Still looks to have a good roll rate, even in high alpha and low air speeds. Nice tight loops too.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
After i smacked the tree the pack was swinging around . Other than that it was a fun flight,have a couple more things to try.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Im getting close to wrapping up my 48" original yakzilla. All of my electronics are mounted and wired so Im down to some final details. What are you guys using to mount the battery so it is secure? (3S 2200mAh) Also I what CG should I be looking at? The plane with battery came in at 889g (31.4oz) and is 51" overall length.

Thanks!
zip308 is offline Find More Posts by zip308
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
I used velcro along with a velcro strap around the pack that goes through the fuse,you can see it in the videos i posted of the larger yakzilla. Dont think i have any pics of the battery mounting though,i dont have any of the larger yakzillas to reference.. gave one away and the other someone really wanted and it was sold pnp. You can see where the black velcro strap is in the pic below.. in most of the smaller epp planes now i establish a cg i like and mount the packs through a cut out in the fuse(keeps lateral balance more equal). About 30% back from the leading edge of the wing is a good starting point for CG on this plane... the starting point will vary on highly swept wings etc though,its a safe starting point that should be a bit nose heavy... fly it and adjust the pack to your liking(usually further back for most).

Got some more lipos today for the smaller epp planes. Will be ordering another outrunner to try in the epp planes soon as well,currently have 6 of the popular outrunners from various manufacturers for the smaller epp planes so i have power set ups for them pretty well covered for power,weight,versatility and cell counts.

Should be flying 3s set ups in various planes next week,earlier in the week testing some set up and other stuff.

Testing EPP 3D Plane Stuff (5 min 21 sec)

EPP F-22 Maiden (7 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
About 30% back from the leading edge of the wing is a good starting point for CG on this plane... the starting point will vary on highly swept wings etc though,its a safe starting point that should be a bit nose heavy... fly it and adjust the pack to your liking(usually further back for most).
Stupid question but when you say 30% back from the leading edge of the wing are you measuring from the front of the wing near the fuselage to the rear of the aileron then going approximately 1/3 of the way back for the CG?? This is my first scratch plane and Im new to all of RC withing the last few months.

thanks
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
Good question,its not common knowledge until you've been into the hobby for a while but many take it for granted that its well know when it isnt(including me at times).. kind of like what does ROG,WOT,AUW,COG,FOD etc mean. Measure from where the wing meets the horizontal fuse from the leading edge(very front edge of wing) to the edge of the ailerons. Say the wing chord is 9''.. that would put the cg starting point roughly 3'' back from the leading edge of a wing with a 9'' wing chord and make it a bit nose heavy for a safer maiden until you get it trimmed out and balanced to your liking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
what plane is that in the testing 3d stuff
bob s is offline Find More Posts by bob s
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
Its basically a techone malibu 2 cut in 9mm epp with some changes. Really liked the original in 3mm depron.. flew really well but the roll rate was a bit slow and ofcourse depron isnt very durable for bashing around in the yard. Kicking around ideas for some new planes and have some stuff im working on now for the fall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Good question,its not common knowledge until you've been into the hobby for a while but many take it for granted that its well know when it isnt(including me at times).. kind of like what does ROG,WOT,AUW,COG,FOD etc mean. Measure from where the wing meets the horizontal fuse from the leading edge(very front edge of wing) to the edge of the ailerons. Say the wing chord is 9''.. that would put the cg starting point roughly 3'' back from the leading edge of a wing with a 9'' wing chord and make it a bit nose heavy for a safer maiden until you get it trimmed out and balanced to your liking.
Thank you very much!!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Got it all together last night just in time to head to the field before the sun went down. Flew beautifully with no problems whatsoever! I didn't even have to make any trim adjustments. I will try to get some pictures together when I get a few minutes. Thanks Get Real and everyone for the help they have provided me to get my first scratch built plane off the ground and in the air!!
Last edited by zip308; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,002 Posts
Glad your enjoying the plane,really glad the maiden went well.. it can take some tinkering sometimes to get cg,expo,control throws etc set up to your liking for some but once the plane is dialed in it can be flown mild or wild. Looking forward to pics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Here are some pics