Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Just north of saint paul, so a little while from you. Where do you fly?
I just got into the whole RC addiction less than 6 months ago so I have only been flying out at the High School ball fields. We have 3 kids so its been kind of spur of the moment flying sessions when the wind dies down and we happen to be home.

- I did get my GRX V1 all cut out last night and placed an order for the electronic equipment. Im going to try to get to the local hobby store tomorrow for the building hardware.
zip308 is offline Find More Posts by zip308
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Question - Do you remove the clear plastic film off of the the pink foam??
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
You could leave it on if you wanted to(it adds a little weight but also strength),most remove it. If you plan on painting or using a sharpie to jazz it up the side that has the printing can be cleaned up with some fine sand paper or a sanding sponge.. wet sanding works as well. Looks like it came out well.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip308 View Post
- I did get my GRX V1 all cut out last night and placed an order for the electronic equipment. Im going to try to get to the local hobby store tomorrow for the building hardware.
What is the list of electronics your going to run on this? And where did you order from? After "talking" to GetReal I'm probably not ready for this size bird, but when I am, I want to have an idea what electronics to get.

Much appreciated in advance.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
What is the list of electronics your going to run on this? And where did you order from? After "talking" to GetReal I'm probably not ready for this size bird, but when I am, I want to have an idea what electronics to get.

Much appreciated in advance.
The list of options for electronics I was looking at is on the previous page but this is what I ended up ordering from HobbyKing (mainly due to stock). I dont know how well this will work but I will let you know when its all put together. I will pick up the hardware from my local hobby store.

Motor:
Turnigy G10 1100KV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1100kv_.html

ESC:
HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

HobbyKing Programming Card for BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13431

3.5mm 3 wire Bullet-connector for motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10255

Servos:
HobbyKing D-MG16 Metal Gear 19g
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6608

Battery:
Turnigy 2200mAh
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Propeller Options:
APC Style 12x6
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ller_12x6.html

APC Style 13x6.5
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_13x6_5.html
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,389 Posts
I notice you have a programming card for the speed control. What is that for? What does it do? If you want to point me in the right direction for more info on this site that would be great too. In the meantime I'm going to browse the web for answers. Thanks.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:21 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
169 Posts
anyone have any good pic of the robart hinge i have the yakzilla cut out but having issues with hinging i am using the 1/2 blue bord from lowes and want to use robart hinges but i have never used them or have i hinged any foam this thick i have built a ton of 6mm foamys and used the 45 cut and tape hinge but wanted to use robert on this size plane

thanks
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:11 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
Heres a link to there site with more info Robart Hinges. Unlike making a single 45 cut and using tape or welders hinges etc on smaller foamies.. when using the pinned hinges youll want to double bevel both surfaces for best operation and deflection. There are tools available both for making perfectly even double bevels and hinge slots as well but if you take your time you can achieve nice even bevels and hinge slots without special tools(if not slotted or beveled well they will create binding and loss of full deflection),the pinned robart hinges require a bit more work to install but work really well for larger models.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
169 Posts
Thanks
So you cut around a 20d bevel on top and bottom on both peaces and the hing is in the middle
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
Yes,depending on what tools you have you could use a router bit to contour the surfaces as well. You want the hinge centerline on both surfaces perfectly even. A traditional 45 cut on just the ailerons like on smaller foamies works well with packaging tape or fiber reenforced strapping tape to... ive used both,the robarts do work nice but a tape hinge is much easier and quicker for others and i haven't used robart hinges on any of the larger planes i cut last year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
i didn't crash i landed hard!
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
nice
3D RC is offline Find More Posts by 3D RC
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:00 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
Trying out some new things with the 32'' yakzilla. Will get some flights in with this one later in the week.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
looks nice!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
Thanks,its almost ready to fly now.. took that pic yesterday. So far without the landing gear it looks like it will have a auw of 5.9-6.3oz roughly depending on packs used. Will weigh it again once i put some velcro on it for the packs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Woah!

Yakzilla is looking gooood!
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's