HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Another material I have used is the mylar discs inside old 3 1/2" floppies (the really old 5 1/4" work also). Just cut them to the size and shape you want, slice a slot in the foam and push in. You can either use glue or punch a small hole and use a toothpick to pin them in.

I also found the Welders yellow real badly with time and heat, so don't use it anymore for hinges.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:05 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
Updating

Been busy with other things and the weather has been rough with the winds and cold,didnt get the recent tornados here but the winds have been pretty high. Caught a couple calm mornings and got some quick flights in with stuff. Still have some templates for the raptor and did get a couple flights in with a couple set ups with it. Did some spring cleaning and cut the fleet down to less than half.. the raptor and other planes are gone for now but eventually i'll probably make some more epp planes and if they work well scale them up for to larger sizes for owens.

Raptor in the yard

Raptor Flight (3 min 5 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
48" GRX-V1 Electronics Question

Newbie here (pretty new to RC) and I would like to build my first foamie. I have no experience with the electronics side of building as all of my planes and helis have been bind and fly to my DX8. My question is can someone look at the stuff I have listed below as equipment options for the 48" version of the GRX-V1 and make some recommendations. I just briefly searched HK for some options but I don't understand motor KV, prop loads, watts under load, etc and just want to get pointed in the right direction for my first build so I don't get too frustrated or melt something. Thanks for time!

Motor Options:
Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FMotor.html

Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV

Turnigy D3536/6 1250KV

Turnigy G10 1100KV
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1100kv_.html

ESC Options:
Turnigy THRUST 45A SBEC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

HobbyKing 40A Blue Series Brushless Speed Controller
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Servos:
HobbyKing D-MG16 Metal Gear 19g
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6608

Battery:
Turnigy 2200mAh
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Propeller Options:
GWS RD-1260
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6pcs_set_.html

GWS RD1365
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6pcs_set_.html
zip308 is offline Find More Posts by zip308
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
zip308...
Id go the turnigy G10 for the motor, the 45Amp ESC but insead of those GWS props, if I were you id get a APC 12x6.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,385 Posts
40"+ Yakzilla or Extra

Newbie scratch builder alert!

I've read this forum twice. I really like these planes! (Yakzilla, Extra, Jet)
Are there 40"+ plans for the Yakzilla or Extra that I missed? If not, how do I "scale up" the 32" plans to 46" or 48"?
As I said I'm new to scratch building so I'm still trying to learn how to a) print and cut b) put the correct electronics together to get the desired flight c) everything else that comes with scratch building.

I want to build a slow, floaty plane. Can someone point me in the right direction of the electronics? Would the above posters setup work? What kind of glue for Owens pink? How do you make the hinges? Tape, plastic, glue? What about the motor mount? If I'm correct the plans just show the parts of the plane, how do I determine servo, esc and receiver placement?

I know that's a lot of questions but I really want to learn to build instead of buying ARF's. I think you learn so much more when you build on your own. I am reading and looking for info to my questions within this group, but it is so much info on here.
I'm going to buy some Owens tomorrow as I've already looked around at my local home improvement stores. I'm ready to get started!!!

Thanks in advance.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jun 29, 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Typos
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:24 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
On hobbyking set ups for larger planes i only have experience with the mystery 40amp esc and turningy 3s 2200 packs. Others here could give better feedback on the larger outrunners etc from hk.. I mostly use the smaller hk gear for 32'' epp planes. The smaller yakzilla plane isnt the same design as the larger one.. i like the larger one better but there is only plans for the smaller one.. any of the pdf plans that posted the past few months can be taken to a kinkos or other print shops and enlarged to the scale or wingspan youd like.. example the 32'' plans are scaled to 100% to make a 32'' wingspan epp plane and you can tell them you want the plans scaled to give a 46'' span for the plans.. they have converters that will calculate it to the right size to enlarge for a 46'' wingspan plan for the plane(you will have to adjust the tabs and slots your self though for the owens thickness) I usually dont tab and slot though myself for the larger owens foamys and they hold together fine but tab and slots does make it easier to assemble and perfectly straight and true. The 46'' and 48'' stuff usually comes in around 32oz on 3s set ups with 2200mah packs so its pretty floaty at that weight. Gorilla glue works well but expands about 2-3 times its volume as it cures so keep that in mind if you use it,elmers ultimate is similar and some have had good results using beacon foam tac on various types of foam. For motor mounts some light ply cut into discs glued to the nose with some bamboo skewers poked into the foam works well. Servo placement is really up to the builder and cg concerns,usually pack placement can optimize cg and you can place servos etc in common locations as smaller foamies,duck tape,packaging tape etc for hinges will keep things inexpensive(robart hinges work really well but more effort to install and a lot more pricey than a roll of tape). You might want to try something in a smaller scale that has every detail of the process laid out for your first scratch built build.. the Leadfeather yak 55 has a huge thread in the scratch built section and there is a lot of inexpensive gear and hardware readily available for the smaller planes but its up to you.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
zip308...
Id go the turnigy G10 for the motor, the 45Amp ESC but insead of those GWS props, if I were you id get a APC 12x6.
Thanks for the input

- where in MN are you located?
zip308 is offline Find More Posts by zip308
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip308 View Post
Thanks for the input

- where in MN are you located?
Just north of saint paul, so a little while from you. Where do you fly?
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
...You might want to try something in a smaller scale that has every detail of the process laid out for your first scratch built build.. the Leadfeather yak 55 has a huge thread in the scratch built section and there is a lot of inexpensive gear and hardware readily available for the smaller planes but its up to you.
Thanks for all the info. Why is it better to start with a smaller scale for my first build? I would think the only difference would be the scale, no? Is it because the process is laid out?
I have looked at Leadfeathers yak and thought about that until I saw these. But I will definitely circle back based off your suggestion. I'd just like to understand why smaller is better for a first build.

Thanks. Going to find Leadfeathers build......

Where in IL are you located?
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:34 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
I suggested a smaller epp plane for several reasons,not so much better but more inexpensive and a easier build with less trial and error on set ups. 9mm Epp is very resilient,owens not so much but it can be repaired like any other foamie. There are a lot of options for hardware that is inexpensive for the smaller epp planes,the larger planes hardware gets exponentially more expensive. Cutting epp is much easier,overall the choice is yours but regardless of what type or size of plane you choose youll gain experience with non arf planes and set ups and mods etc and can carry that to the next scratchbuilt plane. Im south of tinley park,Hobbytown usa orland,and al's hobbies are a couple of the shops in illinois i go to.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,385 Posts
That makes sense. I didn't think about the expense factor. I should have realized that when I was pricing batteries for your 48" plane.
Thanks again for the help. I'll take your suggestion and start smaller and with epp.

Is epp actually cheaper than Owens???
Now to find somewhere to buy epp.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:47 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
Everything for the epp planes ive built lately ive ordered from Rcplanebuilder. You could make all your own hardware but for the smaller epp planes hardware isn't that expensive and speeds up the build with parts you know will work without trial and error or figuring out how to design/cut motor mounts,hinges,control horns,etc. A 24''x36'' 9mm 1.3lb sheet of epp isnt a whole lot more cost effective than owens but epp planes will take a lot of abuse and last a long time.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Everything for the epp planes ive built lately ive ordered from Rcplanebuilder. You could make all your own hardware but for the smaller epp planes hardware isn't that expensive and speeds up the build with parts you know will work without trial and error or figuring out how to design/cut motor mounts,hinges,control horns,etc. A 24''x36'' 9mm 1.3lb sheet of epp isnt a whole lot more cost effective than owens but epp planes will take a lot of abuse and last a long time.
What do you mean by "make all of your own hardware"? Is one 24"x36" large enough to build a 32" plane? Why 9mm over 6mm or 3mm?
Also I see weight other than 1.3lb, what's the +/- of different weight?

I plan on getting a Slicko as soon as they are back I'm stock, but I want to learn how to build too.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jul 01, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:17 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
You can make your own hardware.. ie motormounts,hinges,control horns,rod keeper ends etc. Many scratchbuilders use small sheets of epp for the 32'' plans for the entire plane.. plans can be laid over the epp sheet and pinned and basically you cut through the plans into the epp to produce the plane parts then assemble the plane.. you can keep the plan cut outs and use as templates to make another plane as well but plans for a 32'' plane at kinkos out here are like two bucks so i usually get a couple sets and start with a fresh plan each time. 9mm epp is a bit more durable do to its thickness,1.3lb refers to the density of the foam.. 1.3lb is softer and more bendable than 1.9lb density.. those are the two most common density's for epp sheets. Using 9mm 1.3lb epp you have a good mixture of density and thickness for rigidity.. if you were to build the same plane with 3mm or 6mm in the same 1.3lb density it would require more carbon for rigidity but would also tear or crack easier in crashes.. the plane would be lighter because lower density epp is also lighter a 1.3lb epp sheet is lighter than a 1.9lb epp sheet but you would give up some durability. Ive flown slickos at 4oz up to over 7oz with different thickness epp and power set ups in the 32'' size and up to a 38'' slicko using 10mm epp. The slicko is a really nice plane and up to par with much more expensive kits.. one thing that sets it apart from the others is its rigidity in the wing,i let someone fly the slicko kit i have and he's one of the top local pilots out here and he really noticed how crisp it snapped etc and the rigidity of the wing.. i had just flew it and didnt even have it dialed in yet but he liked it a lot.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:33 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
+1 on EPP for learning 3D. It allows you to keep flying after crashes that would make planes built from other foams into a pile of packaging material! Very easy to repair if you need to. The durability factor will allow you to push your learning curve and try moves you might not get away with with other foams. 1 sheet (24x36) will definitely do a 32 in plane.It seems kinda floppy/flimsy when you first check it out, but with proper bracing, like the Slicko, it'll make a nice, stiff, responsive flyer. Good luck with your build, keep us posted.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider