SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Thanks for the kind words,i just cut foam every now and then.. check out the scratch forums and youll see some amazing stuff. Its half inch foam,its light,cheap and easy to work with.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:35 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
Have you ever tried Google Sketchup? (http://sketchup.google.com/index.html) You could use it to draw up plans and then post them here. Then, hopefully, someone would be nice enough to convert them to .pdf or .dxf

Just a thought,
Kevin
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
if people are really in love with this plan, Get Real if you just take a pic from directly above and from the left, I will make a 3d model from the pics and can generate dxf, pdf, whatever...
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Thanks,im gonna try and get a couple of these cut out next week. The following week a couple people will have templates and a beta to make plans from and there should be some feedback and info on plans then. Just for the record.. these are not to be kitted or arfed for resale,if the plans work out.. great,if you hate the plane dont blame me .
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:50 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer
if people are really in love with this plan, Get Real if you just take a pic from directly above and from the left, I will make a 3d model from the pics and can generate dxf, pdf, whatever...
Thanks,i'll get some pics up soon then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Top And Side Views

Hope these are usable,crappy lighting here for pics. One thing thats cool about plans.. you can scale them up or down for the material your using to build with or to the right size for your power system,be neat to see what others come up with if they like this plane .
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:53 PM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
those pics will work fine. i will guess-timate the details but follow your overall dims, which i like.

what format eceryone looking for?
Old May 01, 2009, 01:29 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
I have put some hours into this, defeating my common sense I might add, but here we are. Please do not comment on how my model does not yet represent your plane (dont worry, it will in the end)

Unfortunately, I am using a CAD program that doesnt want to allow pics as input, so long story short, can I have the following dimensions? Sorry in advance.

Note that when I ask dimensions from "NOSE" that means from the nose edge of the foam - not including any motor stuff. I am trying to keep this only fairly accurate to your design, so don't worry about .000001 on your measurements, if you get my drift...

1) measure distance from nose to aileron hinge line
2) similarly, measure distance from nose to elevator hinge line
3) measure distance from nose to very end of tail
4) measure elevator width
5) measure distance from nose to rudder hinge line

sorry dude...I like your plane so I put in the time. Do you have another name you want your plans coined to (these are not gonna be worth money, but migh as well get your john doe for the credits)

Kevin

p.s. just to show I am working on this (dork):
Old May 01, 2009, 01:32 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,068 Posts
do people like owens pink over 6mm depron? please compare and contrast, thanks...
Old May 01, 2009, 01:50 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Wow,thats pretty wild . I'll get those 5 measurements,doesnt have to be perfect dude,its just a plane and a quarter or half inch difference isnt gonna kill it so i hear ya on that. I probally should do drawings of stuff i design instead of just thinking them and cutting them out,would probally make this a bit easier for engineers.

For a larger plane i prefer the owens.. twice the material for the price of depron,already thicker and more rigid than 6mm. This is the first time ive used it to make planes though,cut out some pusher jets last week.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2009, 02:01 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Here you go

1) (16 and a half inches)
2) (41 and three qaurters of an inch)
3) (51 and a half inches)
4) (22 inches)
5) (44 and three qaurters of and inch)

Thats wild to see this in a cad format,will make it perfect for guys to cut out and get an exact reproduction each time . Thats awesome seeing that dude.

For credits Get Real From RCGroups is fine and what ever you want to put down for doing the cad work.. that stuff should get credit since its probally as time consuming or more than cutting the material and building a proto(thats still cool to see a rendering of something i designed done in cad) .
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; May 01, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old May 01, 2009, 09:11 AM
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
As far as formats go, I think easiest would be PDF, however if you need help converting dxf or dwg files to PDF , I can help with that.
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Old May 01, 2009, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
I would like the .skp or .dxf/.dwg file (I'm not sure what program you're using)
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Last edited by 3D-Flyer Kevin; May 01, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old May 01, 2009, 09:57 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Hey Kevbeer - you've saved me (and Get Real) some time! What CAD are you using? I'd like a STEP assembly file if possible.

(By the time this is all done you'll probably have 100 format requests. )

If she flies like Get Real shows...I'll be a happy guy!
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old May 02, 2009, 02:41 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421

If she flies like Get Real shows...I'll be a happy guy!
Im looking forward to seeing it flown by others that fly a lot more than i do and can do more with it,i didnt do much with it but i'll try more stuff when i get time to fly again. I dont have any 3s packs but it would float even better and with a larger prop it would really slow to a crawl on downlines and be a really gentle 3d foamy do to its larger size,i almost did it in a 50''-53'' wingspan but the wingloading probally would of been way to light for me. Ive only flown it that day twice,the video was after the maiden and minor cg adjustment,had the pack forward, flew fine but i moved it back about 2 inches after the maiden,pretty much the same flight as the first,i'll probally move the pack back a little more when i have time to fly it again and see where it flys best for me.
RCG Plus Member