HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Whell i would start with a smaller motor and battery the ESC should work fine.

For a motor get equivilent to this, but cheaper.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1400
Just go to your local hobbystore and ask the guys there to get you setup with a new motor and Batery.
id get a 1500 mAh 3 cell lipo.
And somthing like a 10x4 GWS slowfly prop.
Again your local hobby store will help you out alot in stuff like this. But if you dont have one, your have to buy online.
If you could post the weight of your plane and the Electronics used that would help us, help you.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:25 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00nothing View Post
I built a 34 inch version of the grx well sorta, mine is much uglier and def a less skilled build I call it the lump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huxwl...e_gdata_player

Heavy as hell and way overpowered I have started off with a 10x7 I am thinking this was a mistake I ampretty much a newb still and am jumping up from a park zone polecat

Any thoughts and what props I should be trying would like something a lot slower and what effects will a slower prop have on electronics and batteries
I like the name,Unfortunately the power set up you chose for a 34'' size plane will really detour from its slower floaty feel(makes it more like a pylon racer than a gentle hybrid style 3d plane). If your limited to the current gear id suggest going to atleast a 42-44'' size grx,on props a 10x3.8 should slow it down some,looks like a rocket and nose heavy but that power set up is better suited to a much larger plane. For a 34'' plane with 1/2'' foam construction it should be more in the 8-10 oz range for more gentle reasonable flight performance. If cutting a new one for the gear isnt an option id go to much lighter gear to make the 34'' size perform a lot better for you and the size of the airframe. AUW would be helpful but im guessing its about 1lb or more with the with the larger size power set up.. a plane that size would fly much more manageable at 8-10oz.

Got 3 flights in on the ufo with one pack(15+ min flying on a 3s 2200 pack),flying a frisbee with stabs in some wind is funny but it has potential and is a lot different than the types of plane ive cut out in the past. Will probably try it with working rudders eventually for more overall control and more capability for aerobatics but its set up on elevons for now it can do a few neat moves. It floats like a kite when you want it to or go slow and has some speed when you hit wot but i'll make some adjustments and get it trimmed better and make some changes for easier balance but it was pretty close as is on set up.

Have an order for more epp and some other stuff on the way and will cut out a few more of the smaller planes eventually but im gonna to do more with the park jet stuff with a larger size plane and probably cut a few more of the smaller ones like ive been flying out. Dropped off a 46'' yakzilla today for someone to try but no idea when it will be flying,airframe was glued up,hinged and i mounted the motor he had and it just needs the hardware and i'll look it over to check cg,throws etc before he flys it.

GRX UFO Flight Testing! (3 min 10 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:03 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,858 Posts
Flat Foam UFO and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
... Got 3 flights in on the ufo with one pack (15+ min flying on a 3s 2200 pack), flying a frisbee with stabs in some wind is funny but it has potential and ...
Hey, that was a nice looking UFO if ever I saw one. All pink and pretty, lol. I was looking at the prop-slot and got to thinking it looks a tad small. Maybe if it was a little wider and longer the back half of the flyer would have more of an opportunity to act like a stabilizer. No doubt the prop wash speeds up the air flowing over that area.

Have you posted a picture of your hat camera? I have made two designs so far, one is a leather band for the forehead to mount a mini DVR camera, and the other is a baseball cap for a larger DVR - Turnigy mini camera. Haven't tested the baseball cap set-up yet, but got to thinking how most self-recording pilots tend to let the subject get out of the field of view. What I did was mount a "sight" on the first mini camera head band, which was nothing more than an old wire coat hanger bent into a circle on one end and a mounting arm for the head band. Once I got the position right, all I had to remember was to keep the model/subject inside the circle site.

The sight extends around 2"-3" in front of one eye, which reminds me of a cheap knock-off of pilot targeting sights for gun ships where the gun follows the head movements of the gunner wearing the eye peice. I made the circle almost as big as a quarter and kept bending it into a new position until I could keep the model, or chase goat (LOL- one of my pets) in the view if I kept him within the circle of the sight. I also tested various ranges as I walked about looking at targets. The goats were very curious and tended to walk up to me and stare and snif for a bit. After around four minutes they would loose interest and move away, which helped position the sight for more than one distance from subject.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
OMG even I didn't expect this 1lb .......wait for it............... 14.8 oz "THE LUMP" really was an appropriate name leave it to me to take a 10 oz bird and jack it up to almost 2 lbs

Someone had asked what motor it is a turnigy sk3548-1100kv running on a 60 amp with a 3s 2200

I will build a much larger air frame for the power system I currently have, but in the meantime I think I am going to try and get one proper flight out of the lump and go to a prop with much less pitch and this time try to fly it somewhere with a much more open area
00nothing is offline Find More Posts by 00nothing
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:48 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Tsavah,the ufo is like night and day compared to the usual stuff i cut out so i have nothing to compare it to as far as flight performance etc. On the design.. im sure it looks like a lot of other flying discs im sure(no different than 3d planes look a lot alike to many).. theres only been one ive seen that really stood out from the rest of the discs now but id rather try my own and use a quick simple approach and work from there. On prop wash etc and the slot.. After the first flights and getting a relative cg point with a larger pack than id like overall for the ufo i considered opening up the center section more and of course stab stability and control surface changes will be clear with the same set up(hopefully flying in less windy conditions).

On the hat cam set up,i keep it simple but a sight would help many probably if you remember to follow the plane with your neck and head movement instead of just eye movement. Theres a highlighted entry in the blog for what i use,many use to ask or pm so i made a spot for others to see what i use and build information for others that want to try the hat cam set up for video. Hat cams are pretty popular now and some online shops even sell hat cams now,i didnt see anyone using hats or any hat cam videos when i started doing it but there are a lot more in the threads these days and early on others were using helmets to mount cams for fpv type video of there flying. Heres the link to the hat cam section,feel free to post some pics of your set up etc to help others. Currently im using a hat that came with a larger balsa purchase and being new the visor is still stiff and can maintain a decent angle for the cam without using anything to deflect its view higher,i usually dont fly really high up so for the most part the hat angled back keeps the planes in frame most of the time. HatCam Info Here,i need to update it more.

00nothing,1lb 14.8oz AUW.. Im guessing the airframe alone came out pretty heavy as well then even considering the much larger gear used. The 46'' Yakzilla is only a few ounces or so heavier(the landing gear alone adds about 2oz to its auw). I think some may enjoy yours for really fast flying etc with some work to the leading edges etc but i think youll enjoy the gear in a larger size airframe for sure thats less weight critical to that gear than a 34'' size foamie.

Speaking of gear,got the my epp order today and some lipos and props and other stuff. Will post more info when i get more flights in,3 flights in the yard so far but will get some numbers etc when i can. Heres some pics,i'll be using the lipos in 5oz or less planes and the props are slightly heavier than gws 8x4.3s but a lot more rigid. Also picked up some industrial strength zip ties when i was at the local shop for larger foamy skids etc.. none of the ones i have for small foamies would cut it for a yakzilla size plane and i didnt like what i was using temporarily(old round servo horn). The monster zip ties work much better and provide some shock absorbing as well just like the ones i use for smaller epp planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
GRX EPP Indoor Park Jet?

Been debating set up options for the epp version of the grx park jet. Depending on power set up used it looks like i could make it slightly under 5oz auw as a yank and bank flyer with mild power for indoor type flying and futaba 3114s. Being epp the set up ive been flying mostly with the owens 1/2 version would be just to much but would work really well for a depron build but im sticking to epp for the current stuff im building. Really need to get some of the power hd servos to try since there considerably lighter for use in the really light builds and very reasonably priced but the futabas work great and ive been flying them for over a year without any problems and really good performance and will use them for now in the plane. Heres a couple pics after it was cut out,motor mount etc not pictured but its 2.5g's and will make trying various power set ups easier than going with the lightest possible mount and hardware to start. The 2s 220mah 25c pro pack has been very nice and ive been flying it in heavier planes with plenty of power for me and the reduction in weight overall to the planes is felt so i'll use that pack and the tp 325 for intial flights but it doesnt look like i'll get to fly the epp verion of the park jet until next weekend.. maybe during the week i'll have time though. The dura thrust props are slightly heavier than the gws version but also much more rigid and im sure a whole lot more durable.. should probably try crashing some planes to see but i'll wait for that to happen on its own,i gave a few to someone else to try as well. They are louder than the gws versions but thats not a bad trade off for a prop that probably doesnt bend at the hub during crashes and mishaps as easily.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,858 Posts
Looks interesting and I like orange trim. I tend to paint most of my tuff orange if I think it will look ok.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:41 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Came out a little heavier at 5.2oz with the lighter set up. Still could get it under 5oz with lighter servos but i added a couple things that would be necessary for more powerful 7-8oz set ups. Added some carbon strip to the ailerons and a underbelly section. I'll try for a maiden when i can and check cg and throws etc then try the heavier set up with more power. Maybe later in the week or by the weekend for sure i should have time to fly it.. if anything maybe a night time maiden in a parking lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:55 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Nice! At 5.2oz I bet that'll be a great flying parkjet for indoor/backyards. It'll be interesting to see how it flies with the different power setups.

I'm looking forward to the maidens.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:52 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Got a couple flights in with the epp one. 6.2oz auw with the t2006 in video with a 2s nanotech 460 and 6.8oz with a 3s 500mah 20c zippy. When i can fly it again it will be with a 7x3.5 prop for better stability at slow speed(park jets dont like big 3d props) .

GRX EPP Park Jet Flight Testing! (5 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:03 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,858 Posts
3 Blade Propellers

Quote:
... at slow speed (park jets dont like big 3d props) .
It is interesting the 3 bladed propellers aren't popular on foam RC models. It is rare to see one offered on a kit and a number of threads I haunt have comments about how a 3 bladed prop was not a good option. In most cases I can rule out a balancing problem since the builder/pilot was very skilled with lots of experience. And here I am thinking a four bladed propeller might be worth investigating, unless cost is an issue.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:55 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Ive only tried a 3 bladed props once,like most it was used because ground clearance was a concern and there wasnt enough clearance to run a larger 2 bladed prop to get the wattage i was after in a pattern plane. Other than scale planes or when ground clearance is an issue ive never had interest in using them again.. 2 bladed props just work.

Took yakzilla to show someone at the local shop how it flys,they have seen it at the shop before but it was before in it and was ready for flying.

46'' GRX Yakzilla At Hobby Town USA (Quick Demo Flight) (4 min 27 sec)

Got a couple more planes i should have flying soon,weathers been weird.. got cold recently and the winds been kicking.. really knocked the 6oz epp park jet around when i slowed it down when i got a couple more flights in with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:26 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Last flight for the first epp park jet. Added a working rudder and got a couple flights in. The gear is going in the new 3d version,gonna stick with the lighter set up since top speed on them isnt much and maneuverability in small areas like the yard is where it will be flown mostly.

EPP Park Jet (Harrier Flight With Rudder) (4 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:35 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,858 Posts
Very Nice Delta Design ...

Quote:
Last flight for the first epp park jet. ...
Sure did float good and I swear I saw lights on that little foamie from time to time. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Tsavah; Sep 07, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:37 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
It did ok,was over 7oz with the pack and extra servo i was using in the vid. You did see lights.. there not very bright and dont show up well unless its pretty dark out,couple strobes and some nav lights and landing lights were on the plane. Have some more planes to glue up and add gear to so the one in the video is gutted and i'll pull the carbon out of it for the newer ones when i can.
RCG Plus Member