HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:33 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I do plan on doing the full 48 eventually, just thought 38-40 in ws would be a nice step up from what I'm used to on my way there!Plus it'll work with the gear I already have until I get some more appropriate for a plane that size. Looking forward to it GR. Nice design.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:58 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Logged a few flights now with our 42" versions and getting them dialed in. Very solid airplane. Will be ordering lighter 3s 1500ma Lipos next. We are right at 24oz with 2200s. Been doing mostly pattern type stuff with a little 3D. Will do more 3D as we get more comfortable with the larger size, plus blue foam is not as durable as the EPP 32" Edge 540s we have been banging into the ground. We have not crashed one yet, so not sure of how they will hold up.

I finished templates for EPP 34" versions of the GRX-1 and will be able to cut out 6 full airframes out of a 24"x 36"x 60mm EPP for less than 30 bucks. Did the rudders tonight and they looked very good. Will complete the hot wire cutting this weekend and hope to have one flying next weekend. Then I can retire my beat up Edge which amazingly still flies quite well, just takes more power to hover due to the weight of all the added glue used for repairs.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:10 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Well, after some re-re-calculating, figured out the largest ws my gear will fly well is about 34" with this plan.Just so happens there's a 34" plan posted, so I've got it cut out on the board right now. I'm considering some slight mods, but not sure which way I'm gonna go with those yet. I'll be REALLY busy at work the next couple of weeks, so it will be work a little bit as I go. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Already getting my Christmas list together for bigger motor/batteries, cause I want to fly one of the bigger ones bad,now. It just looks so cool!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZglider View Post
Well, after some re-re-calculating, figured out the largest ws my gear will fly well is about 34" with this plan.Just so happens there's a 34" plan posted, so I've got it cut out on the board right now. I'm considering some slight mods, but not sure which way I'm gonna go with those yet. I'll be REALLY busy at work the next couple of weeks, so it will be work a little bit as I go. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Already getting my Christmas list together for bigger motor/batteries, cause I want to fly one of the bigger ones bad,now. It just looks so cool!
Hi EZglider, maidened the EPP 34" this morning as I finished building it last night. I also had downloaded the plans from this thread a few pages back. Just two mods, one I used a longer (32") 4mm wing spar to keep the tips from curling up which was a problem with my Edge 32" and also installed 6 mm side flat carbon on each side of the horizontal fuse from wing to front of stab to stiffen fuse like the Edge has. We are using 2s 800ma lips and the auw is just under 8 0z. It flies much better than the Edge 540 due to the stiffer wings. But the Edge is now much heavier and there is not a straight surface anywhere on the plane due to all the crashes and repairs. Surprising it flies at all. The 34" GRX-1 is a very stable flyer and rolls are very quick and precise. Next time I will try out 2s 500ma and 2s 360ma lipos just to see how a lighter auw will affect flying characteristics. I built it with 1.3lb EPP.

Also flew my blue foam 42" GRX-1 to compare. Bigger airplanes just fly better, but speeds are a lot higher and it eats up a lot more real estate so it is not as much fun or relaxing to fly in smaller areas (at least with my skills!) Also, due to it not being made from the more durable EPP, I am having trouble getting down near the ground for high Alpha flying (a mental thing ) As I get more flight time on the 42", this will get easier. I may build the next one with EPP due to the durability, but probably go with a KFm or full airfoil to help stiffen the wing. But overall, this plane, in stock condition, flies more like a good balsa pattern ship, but at slower airspeeds. I love flying it!

SpadCat
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:02 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Glad your enjoying the plane. I picked up some 6mm 1.9lb epp today(only weight they had for now) but i'll try different density's of epp depending on the sizes i make more planes in,for now im probably going to make a new plane in the 32'' or slightly lager sizes. They also had some new polymer coating for foam planes.. ive been looking at different coatings all over the place that would blend durability and stiffness with minor weight penalty's.. the stuff at the shop comes in a few colors as well as clear so i might try it after i get some planes cut out.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Nov 01, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Glad your enjoying the plane. I picked up some 6mm 1.9lb epp today(only weight they had for now) but i'll try different density's of epp depending on the sizes i make more planes in,for now im probably going to make a new plane in the 32'' or slightly lager sizes. They also had some new polymer coating for foam planes.. ive been looking at different coatings all over the place that would blend durability and stiffness with minor weight penalty's.. the stuff at the shop comes in a few colors as well as clear so i might try it after i get some planes cut out.

Am curious to see how the 6mm 1.9lb does. 5 of the planes from the 1.3lb block of epp was sliced down to 9mm, and one came out at 10mm. Maybe thinner, heavier might be a good way to go.

A long time ago we built (put together) several Midwest Attackers which were foam ARFs formed from white foam. We thin coated them with a Midwest greenish/blue jell (forgot the name) which hardened very nicely, much of which would be sanded off as much as possible without breaking through to the foam. The plane was finished with Pactra Urethane paints and the gloss was as close to a fiberglass finish as you could get. I still have a photo or two around someplace. It did add some weight, but in those days, you would just stick more power up front and go. What is the name of the product you found and where can it be found?

SpadCat
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:03 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Its called Extreme Coat,the local shop has it but rcfoam carries it online.. seen them at IHobby but didnt pick up any of the stuff at the show. LINK to extreme coat. I used the minwax type urethane's on foam boats years ago but there is a lot of new stuff out these days.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Nov 02, 2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: added pic of extream coat label
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:35 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Started cutting a plane out tonight with the epp. Kind of a 3d/fun flyer/ beginner type plane so its not quite like the first grx but should be be kind of neat and really durable since im using epp. Quite a bit different then previous stuff ive cut out but i wanted to try a few different things and get away from conventional planes. If this one has the flight envelope im aiming for i'll cut out a couple more to test some other things out with the same design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:18 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
629 Posts
Real- I hope that new design works out - I'm a beginner 3d flyer and I am looking for some platforms to scratch - keep us posted....
asat is offline Find More Posts by asat
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:46 AM
keepin it real since 1986
slidell, louisiana
Joined Feb 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Started cutting a plane out tonight with the epp. Kind of a 3d/fun flyer/ beginner type plane so its not quite like the first grx but should be be kind of neat and really durable since im using epp. Quite a bit different then previous stuff ive cut out but i wanted to try a few different things and get away from conventional planes. If this one has the flight envelope im aiming for i'll cut out a couple more to test some other things out with the same design.
can I be a guinnea pig
ClydeJames86 is offline Find More Posts by ClydeJames86
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:57 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Heres a couple pics,should hover and harrier ok but durability and gentle floaty flight are the keys here. Deltas seem to get lots of roll coupling with rudder so the rudder may change. I'll probably give it to someone local thats interested in learning to fly,being epp and a delta it should take lots of abuse with very little if any repairs needed while he learns,the mid mount set up should help with saving props and not having a metal outrunner on the nose if he rams it into stuff. Its going to be powered with all hobbyking stuff for around $25.00 in gear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
176 Posts
Just finished mine, a 48 incher. 32 oz RTF with
3 cell 2200. WOW, great flying plane! How do
you guys land it? Cutting throttle and flopping
it in works OK as long as prop is horizontal. If
not you'll break the motor off.
grnd0 is offline Find More Posts by grnd0
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:28 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
That came out awesome. Really like that paint job . I only belly landed the first two versions a couple times.. usually off power glide then flair and the plane basically does a harrier flop. I was watching flite test on youtube today and might have to make a ufo with some lights out of the rest of the epp,might make a huge one out of the owens pink but the little bit i have left will be used for another foam 3d plane 48'' size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:21 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Picked up some welders glue finally,seems to work well for many in smaller epp plane applications. I'll try it on a fresh small epp build first before i commit to using it on a 48'' one off foamie with the owens pink foam. Really need to make some more of these types of planes to(see pic)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Nov 26, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
WHOA!!! What da Heck is that? I really like the looks of that plane, is it one of your designs? Info please.