Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
I plan on building one of these, but I need to get my other projects done first then I will focus on one.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
I plan on building one of these, but I need to get my other projects done first then I will focus on one.
Its a model well worth building! You will really enjoy it.

Thanks for the thumbs up on #2 rdjay!
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Last edited by Flyitall.; Sep 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: .
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Heres #2 and 3. 3 was built using the foam board that I had previously cut with seperate ailerions hence the tape hinges. Its a gift for a friend. It also has the original smaller end plates which were also cut already. 3 is also spar-less as the foam board provides the necessary stiffness. Might not fair as well in a hard crash, but I dont think the flying loads will phase it. Hope to maiden em both this weekend. Good old #1 is still a great source of fun. Have hours on it now. It is really a lot of fun in the wind, hovering at a dead stop, and parachute landings at my feet, perfectly flyable in 15-20mph winds.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,123 Posts
Beauties! Great work.

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Thanks rdjay! Really curious if these two will balance the same as the first one. To get it to fly well the 1300 3s is 1" back from the very tip of the nose. If I were to fly a smaller battery, would have to balance with some lead(ugh!) Maybe my motor/ESC is heavier than normal. I have moved the servos a bit further foward on these 2. The weight less battery is 10.4oz is this heavier than normal?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Ok, maidened the red wing today, all I can say is WOW! Was expecting the usual first wing flight, CG/trim issues, the usual juggle. Not so. Flew straight out of my hand like it was on rails. Its a tight flyer, snappy on the ailerons, much more so than the full epp version, less wing flex as I suspected. I also believe the single thickness of the foam board(with tape) is much more efficient, had a great glide! I believe this may be the perfect marriage of foams, epp on the front, foam board for the cores. Notably the CG remaind the same, battery on the nose. Atleast I am a consistant builder.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,123 Posts
Awesome Flyitall.

Your weight is a little heavier than some. But with the stiffer foam that's likely just fine as you will be flying a touch faster anyway. CG on wings is generally a challenge. Any weight you can keep forward will help getting it balanced correctly.

Now get some video for us!

RdJay
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
Казахстан, Алматинская область, Алма-Ата
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Kesl 42 дюйма (0 min 0 sec)
my kesl 42 inch
spaa200511 is offline Find More Posts by spaa200511
Last edited by spaa200511; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,123 Posts
Nice Video!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
полет kesla 110 см размахом (9 min 53 sec)
my fly kesl 46 inch
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts

Last edited by spaa200511; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
409 Posts
Thanks for the plans for a great plane rdjay. I'm new to wings and elevon planes but I just flew my 32 kesl two left laps and two right laps with two figure eights so I'm getting the feel of her now what fun just brought it in to charge up the batteries and wait for grandkids to show up to show off.

I have the 24 gram 1700kv motor with a 7x4 prop with 800 2cell battery.AUW is 12 oz even. I'm already planning another one cause this is such a blast for me to fly, and I'm sure I can peel more weight with less paper and tape. I use the tape for color but I have an airbrush and have a paint job planned. This one is a keeper for sure
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
409 Posts
Well I dumb thumbed it into the ground after running four batteries through it and doing loops and barrel rolls and cartwheeled it into the ground into a big rock. Grandkids had fun watching crazy old grandpa flying it though even had some cars stop and watch. I'm out two bucks for foam but that's the most fun I had with two bucks since I was a kid.

Tomorrow version 2 rolls off the line. I love this plane. Girlfriend finally impressed I built something that actually flew. I think people were looking at me funny there for awhile.

Heck I have enough foamboard I'm going to build two at once its faster that way.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,123 Posts
Pretty cool Low and Slow!

I'd recommend getting some EPP foam, will just bounce off those Moses Lake boulders!

Keep having fun!

RdJay
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined May 2007
14 Posts
Finally Completed

So I started with this project in August - Completed the build but it took some time to get it in the air, partly because I was quite afraid of the maiden flight (lost a plane at the same field due to interference, and this is my first Wing). I had some flights of a few meters, and then landed.

Today it had its first proper flight, and it was quite interesting and very much fun. Must say that it does perform quite well - even though I knew that the field had a bad spot.

I added some of my own design changes, because it seemed like the designs on this forum lacked proper housing for the radio components, and I wanted a smooth surface without anything sticking out.

Images 1-5: So I made a hole right trough the normal design, and then added two layers on top of that back and front.

6-7: Added a groove for the wires and speed control on the extra panel.
8: Covered the the wings
9: Add a balsa fitting for the motor
10-11: As is today after the maiden flight - At first I had all kinds of fancy flaps and covers for the battery compartment, but it just wouldn't survive the landings. So when in doubt, Duck-Tape - And it works great.

My next project might be to add some Orange LED's to the wing
cuberice is offline Find More Posts by cuberice