SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2009, 07:52 AM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Finished my first KESL df (ducted fan) it seems to have some pretty good power with the ducted fan! Will Maiden it today, if it flies well it'll be given to Brendan who commissioned the build.
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Your KESL looks dangerous. Can't wait to hear how she flies. Good luck on the maiden.
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:08 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Heres the video I took of Meistertek on the second flight of ducted fan KESL. (I took a video of the maiden but it was useless as most all of the flight I didn't have it within the frame ) and sorry about the audio quality, I should have stood closer to him while he was flying. there was almost no wind at all, and the skies were threatning to rain, but it looks like the EDF KESL exibits all of the same great flying qualities, but since Miestertek was flying it I'll let him tell you about it. afterwards, I was hoping to get some video of my KESL, but it started raining and since it was just miestertek and me left at the field, We had no one to do the video taping, so we just put both of our KESL's in the air and and flew them and had a blast in the rain

Edit, for some reason if you click the address at the top of the video to view in hd, the audio is not working, at least not right now anyway???

KESL ducted fan RC flying wing. (8 min 34 sec)
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Last edited by antennahead; Jul 04, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:49 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistertek
Hey Thyphoonmaster, were not far from Arlington Heights at all, just a little north east of there. If you want you can stop by our field on Saturday, we fly from about 9am until 12:00 noon. Here is the location of our field: Grainger Field home of Aero Sport RC Club We can have a swarm of KESL wings flying!

Awesome! I believe i missed this one, but I definitely want to meet up some time.
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old Jul 05, 2009, 12:56 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Maidened the ducted fan KESL today. The first flight was going ok until the fan exploded and threw one of it's blades, good thing I had an extra fan!

The second flight had the best results flying with my old 3S 1250mAh LiPo that weighs 4.4oz, this is the flight shown in the video Antennahead shot in the post above. The wing looks like it flies pretty well as you can see in the video, but for me as the pilot, it does not feel or seem to fly anywhere as nice as my original 11oz KESL with a normal prop.

For the third flight I flew with one of my 4S 1100mAh A123 packs that weighs 6.5oz and the wing flew like a piece of crap, I couldn't even do a loop. Anything heavier than this pack and the Ducted Fan KESL would be very hard to keep airborne.

Since one fan is broken now, I am going to build my next KESL with the 4300Kv brushless motor and 18 amp speed control salvaged from that setup and connect it to a 4.75x4.75" APC prop. I tested this setup tonight on the bench and it runs well with a 2S and 3S lipo and actually puts out more power than the original ducted fan unit!
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:02 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonmaster
Awesome! I believe i missed this one, but I definitely want to meet up some time.
Sorry you missed us! We'll be around tomorrow after 12 noon and every Saturday.
Last edited by meistertek; Jul 05, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 09:47 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Meistertek,

Thanks for the DF KESL report. I've never used a fan but have heard they aren't quite as efficient as a prop. It will be intereresting to hear how it works with a prop on the same motor/prop. With that high Kv motor it should really scoot.

No flying for me this weekend and now the weather has turned a bit bad. Might be able to get some test flights done later today on my mods.

Thanks again for all your input in this thread!

RdJay
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:56 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Flew with latest mods last night. A bit of wind but this wing really doesn't mind.

Moving the servos out to mid elevon and adding the Henry's glass/contact cement made a big difference. I'm about 1-1/2 oz heavier so lost a little low speed abilities but still flies quite slow. Higher speed handling is greatly improved. At full speed into a dive and still have control!

I'd suggest anyone building install servos in the middle. If you want slow/nimble build light, if you want to go faster reinforce (tape/glass/cf/etc) and use a bigger power system. The KFm4 airfoil is quite versatile.

I would be interesting if someone who flies fast traditional airfoil wings built a similar size/speed KFm4 wing to see how it compares.

RdJay
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
I've had a few more flights on the stronger KESL. I like it a lot. Handles much crisper and even though heavier still flies very slow. Took it up high last time out and cut the power. It just floated around. Even caught some thermals/updrafts (I know nothing about soaring). Stayed in the air a long time!

Open the throttle and it scoots along plenty fast for me and the local school yard.

RdJay
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
RdJay - very cool wing... I think the draw of the Swift (or at least for me) was the ability to slow way down.

I think this design has that quality (when built with sheet epp) and would be a great candidate for a 'lite' build.

I've got this one on my 'to build' list and plan to go for ultimate slow flight...

Thanks for the plan.

-ms
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:04 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
It's a pretty easy build and very inexpensive with "the right parts". If built real light it should be able to go very slow.

Good luck with it ms, hope it's what you are looking for.

As always, picture/videos and a report are appreciated.

RdJay
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
We had another new KESL wing maiden the other day at Aero Sport RC club! This KESL has a star wars theme to it. Jim built his KESL with three layers of foam and a slide in magnetic hatch and canopy with pilot. Check out the end of the video for details of his setup. Click the YouTube icon and then the HD icon to watch the video in HD on YouTube. Thanks so much Rdjay for posting your design of the KESL, we are having a blast with it at Aero Sport!

Jim's KESL RC Flying Wing (7 min 41 sec)
Last edited by meistertek; Sep 22, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:41 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey rdjay thanks for this great design, i am a swift 2 flyer and was looking for a good replacement for the floaty swift, the pictures are of the kesl just built, no electonics yet, and not the most exact build but i will improve on my next one, this is in EPP and going to try some 6mm depron for the second one, i plan to use either a 1300 1500 or 1700 BW motor, with 900 mAh 3 cell lipo's, on the swift i tend to use a 8x3 prop, but i did notice you said you use a 7x6, which prop would you go for, and if i do go for the bigger one then i will need to cut the elevons down, at the moment they will only take the 7x6, i hope having smaller in length ele's doesnt affect it too much, i hope you approve of my build of your design
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:39 AM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,192 Posts
Meistertek,

Great video, looks to be flying real nice right off the bench. Fhlatprinter huh, now I'm real jealous!

Doggit,

I like the 1500 with the 7x6 APC prop. With the 900 3s batteries it should be great. I'd suggest giving that a go. This wing will fly quite slow but with that prop/motor can pick up some speed as well.

Let us know how the maiden goes.

RdJay
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:38 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hi rdjay, just finished putting all the bits and pieces on it, i added a top section and hollowed it out, so i can put all the guts into it, i know its not an exact or pretty build, but i built it for to be flown and not to be put on show, and i know it will get beat up eventually but i cant wait to get it in the air, i am going to try tomorrow and will report on the maiden
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit